Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

?

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1823 replies to this topic

#661 LUU4LIFE

LUU4LIFE

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

@News1130Sports: As we told u last night - #Canucks bosses Francesco Aquilini, Mike Gillis & Lawrence Gillman meet with Shan Doan
at the Italian Kitchen.

@News1130Sports: Buffalo still has CRAZY offer on table for Doan but if it's a west coast team he picks - the #Canucks are the front-runners.

@News1130Sports: #Canucks can not offer Doan the most money but they may be able to offer Doan the best "fit".

#662 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

the only thing worse than quad-posting is quad-posting something that's wrong. neither kesler nor booth have any on-ice vision or passing ability. i haven't watched doan closely enough to judge.

I honestly think Kesler has just stopped passing when Raymond is on his line because he'll come in make a great play only to have Raymond cough it up, fall down, etc. So he just seemed to stop passing after he got stuck w/ him on his line, before that, he was always making plays. So he does have it in him. Just needs a better winger, and I think Booth and Doan, would work well with him. I also think Doan would be a fantastic fit w/ the Sedins once in a while to mix things up, dropping Burr down w/ Kes and Booth.

#663 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,322 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

I am curious as to which players Doan met with from Vancouver?

As some have suggested signing Doan does not make Van a CUP favorite IMHO. Not having seen Garrison play much he is still a ? mark for me. It is not out of line to expect better seasons from a number of players. Having a Doan anchour the 2nd line should benefit the 1st line in a big way.

Guarded optimism as I thought we had Schultz as well.

#664 Jake's_Dad

Jake's_Dad

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

@News1130Sports: As we told u last night - #Canucks bosses Francesco Aquilini, Mike Gillis & Lawrence Gillman meet with Shan Doan
at the Italian Kitchen.

@News1130Sports: Buffalo still has CRAZY offer on table for Doan but if it's a west coast team he picks - the #Canucks are the front-runners.

@News1130Sports: #Canucks can not offer Doan the most money but they may be able to offer Doan the best "fit".

I just got a huge doaner!
-formerly known as macvic24

#665 nazzymx

nazzymx

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

Posted Image
Go Canucks Go------~

#666 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

That is such a nasty picture. I am sending it to my wife.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#667 John Garretts Massive Ears

John Garretts Massive Ears

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

one charges the net, loses the puck and takes out a d-man, the puck is picked up by the next, which charges the net, and loses the puck but takes out the other d-man, the puck is then picked up by the third which drives to the net and scores.

Not sure why but this made me laugh so effing hard! Well done sir!
After you recognize the size of John's ears you wont be able to look at anything else!!!!

#668 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

Watch Kesler when he was on the RPM line or on the PP. Saying him and Booth have no on ice vision is going a little far. Kesler can be a good playmaking center. Ideally a guy like Tanguay would be on that line, but he's not available.

Of course then "can" pass but as far as NHL'ers go they are at about a 0 level when it comes to actually making them. In NHL 13 they should both be around the 50 out of a 100 mark.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#669 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

I am not opposed to picking up Doan, I just don't have very high hopes of him signing here. He has made it very well known his preference is to stay in the desert, if the coyotes have an owner and will stay in the desert. After that, there are teams with more money to throw at him, and teams with less 'pressure cooker' atmospheres to offer him. Our offer, it seems to me, would be less money, more stress and playing for and helping a Contender. There are a couple other options for Doan to consider, which offer more money, less stress and playing for and helping a Contender. Unless he really wants to play on a Canadian Team, which may be the case, our offer would be less appealing than some American team offers.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#670 cool story bro

cool story bro

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:10 AM

Asdf
Posted Image

#671 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:30 AM

Jkl;

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#672 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

qwertyuiop

#673 Adero28

Adero28

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

Please just sign on the dotted line so I can stop reading this form for awhile:-)

#674 Adero28

Adero28

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

Posted Image

Lmfao

#675 leftcoast

leftcoast

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

News1130 Sports@News1130Sports
Doan met with #Canucks brass at the Italian Kitchen. To be a fly on the wall.....

In other news, the Italian Kitchen is over run with flies

Totally.....i want a fresh, fully healed Willie

#676 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

From hockey magazine @NHLTimes:

- Doan has been in BC due to the Blazers since last weekend. They spoke formally for the first time last weekend, and [yesterday] was their second.
- Canucks are in the lead for Doan's services as both sides believe it's a great fit
- Doan has gone farther with the Canucks than other teams, meeting with players and all of management
- Doan wasn't planning on coming back to Vancouver for a visit for a while but "new, interesting developments" piqued his interest

Who is "hockey magazine @NHLTimes"?

http://twitter.com/NHLtimes ?

http://www.nhltimes.com/ ?

The tweets appear to be written by a professional with journalism experience but who knows these days?

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#677 djsandwiches

djsandwiches

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

I'm gunna grasp at straws here and suggest a fantasy scenario that may or may not have occured last night in Gastown @ The Italian Kitchen:

As Italian food was the main course, could this have been a message to Luongo that his contract cap hit will be eaten up by Doan. Was Luongo perhaps in attendance?--ushered in the back door as a mystery secret guest. Maybe Doan and Luongo will swap houses after selling Lu on PHX. Just maybe.....

...ah....a fantasy world...it's the only thing that makes sense anymore. If Doan was really interested in signing with the Canucks, it would have been announced yesterday or today already. I figure he is just on tour for the free dinners and lunches but really intends to sign with the NYR or stay at his ranch if there is hope for long term ownership stability in PHX. Vancouver is being used as part of his agents negotiating tactic for what it appears to be between PHX or NYR.

Edited by djsandwiches, 01 August 2012 - 11:04 AM.

Cheers!

#678 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

Posted Image

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#679 Strombone1

Strombone1

GDT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

I'm gunna grasp at straws here and suggest a fantasy scenario that may or may not have occured last night in Gastown @ The Italian Kitchen:

As Italian food was the main course, could this have been a message to Luongo that his contract cap hit will be eaten up by Doan. Was Luongo perhaps in attendance?--ushered in the back door as a mystery secret guest. Maybe Doan and Luongo will swap houses after selling Lu on PHX. Just maybe.....

...ah....a fantasy world...it's the only thing that makes sense anymore. If Doan was really interested in signing with the Canucks, it would have been announced yesterday or today already. I figure he is just on tour for the free dinners and lunches but really intends to sign with the NYR or stay at his ranch if there is hope for long term ownership stability in PHX. Vancouver is being used as part of his agents negotiating tactic for what it appears to be between PHX or NYR.

i agree. althought if he likes a low key lifestyle in a ranch somewhere, would NYC be the right city?

Commissioner of Shapheat FHL

Player of the Game - Wall of Fame
2014-15 GDT Registrations

#680 djsandwiches

djsandwiches

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

i agree. althought if he likes a low key lifestyle in a ranch somewhere, would NYC be the right city?

I think he and his family are probably looking at this as a chance of a lifetime (playing in NYC); where the kids could still goto good schools (and later some good NY colleges/universities), and for only a few years of sacrifice away from PHX, they could always just travel back to their ranch for family holidays and the offseason. I think the family aspect and the Doans relocating to the big Apple is probably very very appealing to them all.

Perhaps BC is regarded for a lot of players simply a nice place to spend a vacation in, or even later on retire to. Like Gillis once said, just cause they (the players) are from BC doesn't mean they'll play for the Canucks. My gut feeling, is if the Doans don't stay in PHX, Shane will sign for ridiculous amount of overpayment with an Eastern team (NYR) for the chance of his family living out a very nice next few years of a life...perhaps they want a real change if it requires moving as a whole family--which NYC could provide this for sure. Nothing wrong with that, just not feeling it...that Doan will be in a Canuck uniform anytime soon.

Edited by djsandwiches, 01 August 2012 - 11:25 AM.

Cheers!

#681 kentk

kentk

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

I really hope NY takes Thorton out of SJ... get him out of the west, Leaving Doan right for the picking...

#682 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,769 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

I think he and his family are probably looking at this as a chance of a lifetime (playing in NYC); where the kids could still goto good schools (and later some good NY colleges/universities), and for only a few years of sacrifice away from PHX, they could always just travel back to their ranch for family holidays and the offseason. I think the family aspect and the Doans relocating to the big Apple is probably very very appealing to them all.

Perhaps BC is regarded for a lot of players simply a nice place to spend a vacation in, or even later on retire to. Like Gillis once said, just cause they (the players) are from BC doesn't mean they'll play for the Canucks. My gut feeling, is if the Doans don't stay in PHX, Shane will sign for ridiculous amount of overpayment with an Eastern team (NYR) for the chance of his family living out a very nice next few years of a life...perhaps they want a real change if it requires moving as a whole family--which NYC could provide this for sure. Nothing wrong with that, just not feeling it...that Doan will be in a Canuck uniform anytime soon.

have you ever been to New York?
have you even been to British Columbia?

#683 djsandwiches

djsandwiches

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

have you ever been to New York?
have you even been to British Columbia?

Yup and yup.

For a 3-5 year sacrifice away from the ranch, I'd take an adventure of a lifetime in NYC anyday--many people would as well. Doan has already expressed his recent NYR showcase as "incredible". I bet his family is excited at this too (prospect of living for a few years in NYC). They can always go back to the Ranch in PHX or live in BC when they all get older. For the next 3-5 years, NYC isn't a bad option. They will be rich and comfortable, and the kids can go to any private school they want. Playing out East also allows the Doans to see other East Coast friends and relatives. There are many great cities out on the other side of the Mississippi River. I think the "fun for the whole family" factor is a big deal for Shane. He only has 3-5 years to earn a real good paycheck. This will be a small sacrifice for a good payoff for the Doan clan. Just my hunch of course. I would love to see him in a Canuck uniform, but it's more than just hockey for a guy like Doan.

Edited by djsandwiches, 01 August 2012 - 11:55 AM.

Cheers!

#684 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,206 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

Another perspective to note is that Shane does a lot of team roping with a large group of BC cowboys down in Phoenix, most of whom come back to BC every summer.

#685 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

All of what you said could be said for Vancouver
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#686 Prngr44

Prngr44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

All of what you said could be said for any team in the NHL.

Seriously.

It's not like the guy is broke and looking for one last gig to provide for his family.
I hate the Canucks so much they're my second favorite team.
Posted Image

#687 Spencer Drew

Spencer Drew

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

British Columbia is one of the best. most beautiful places to live on Earth, and IMO the best to live in North America, besides the crapty wages compared to other Canadian provinces such as Alberta, and I've travelled pretty much everywhere, and yet I've lived in Victoria, BC my whole life, moving to Vancouver next year, and I can't wait, so excited. I bet anyone 50$ that Doan comes to Vancouver.

Edited by Spencer Drew, 01 August 2012 - 12:13 PM.

Posted Image

#688 djsandwiches

djsandwiches

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

I just think that as he already spends alot of offseason time in BC a chance at living it up with the family in NYC could be something the Doans would consider, given that it would only be for a few years. The Doans don't need to be sold on BC as they all know what it's like, and yes a great place to live; however so is NYC and if for only a few years, why not go for the experience of a lifetime that they otherwise would probably never consider or have an opportunity at. BC & PHX ranch in the offseason and for holidays, but for work and school, NYC. Best of both worlds is it not? For a Canuck fan probably not what someone wants to hear though.

Cheers!

#689 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,206 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

I just think that as he already spends alot of offseason time in BC a chance at living it up with the family in NYC could be something the Doans would consider, given that it would only be for a few years. The Doans don't need to be sold on BC as they all know what it's like, and yes a great place to live; however so is NYC and if for only a few years, why not go for the experience of a lifetime that they otherwise would probably never consider or have an opportunity at. BC & PHX ranch in the offseason and for holidays, but for work and school, NYC. Best of both worlds is it not? For a Canuck fan probably not what someone wants to hear though.

I'm not seeing a ton of chatter about Doan and the Rangers though........just your opinion? Personally, if I were a small town Western guy, moving my family to the hustle and bustle of NYC wouldn't really appeal to me........not to mention across the continent from family and friends......

though I will say playing for an Eastern team gives him a lot more time at home.........however, he'd still be gone a lot and he'd be isolating his wife and kids from friends and family on the other side of the continent

#690 RonnieColeman

RonnieColeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

Booth - H Sedin - Doan
D Sedin - Kesler - Kassian

Wazooooo playmakers for all! That is one seriously massive top 6 with major skill, besides the sedins all are 6'1+ 200lb+, lets see people push around the sedins with these guys

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.