Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

?

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1823 replies to this topic

#781 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,630 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:04 AM

Right, because the $41 million and change that he's accumulated in his playing career is chump change. http://www.hockeyzon...om/salaries/909

I don't see Doan as being about the money, not in the slightest. If that was at all in his character he would have bolted from the Coyotes long ago. People don't change all that much, the fact that Doan has been as committed as he has been to Phoenix would suggest he wants not only the best thing for his family, but also for the last few years of his playing career; hoisting Lord Stanley.

The ONLY reason Doan has not re-signed in Phoenix is due to the gong show revolving around the ownership of the Coyotes. It's not just about being able to pay him his money, it has to do with the overall quality of the product being put on the ice. The Coyotes are a minimalist spending team regardless of what anyone says, with yearly losses greater than the current salary cap floor, I just cannot see how Phoenix survives more than 3 seasons regardless of who owns the team.

Doan is moving on, I believe he is pragmatic and ensures he wants the best fit; not the biggest paycheck.

Edit** The numbers of 4 years/30 Million are purely speculative, I don't know why everyone buys into that as being fact.

Referencing the situation in PHX as a gong show is pretty appropriate and we are looking at it from the outside. Imagine what Doan has seen over the years. He has heard all the promises before. Your point about the Yotes not utilizing the maximum CAP allowance simply insures they wont be a serious CUP contender. The Canucks on the otherhand have spent to the max ever since new ownership took over. They have spent non-CAP millions on coaching, facilities and player development. Do you think the Yotes have a hyperbolic chamber?

I also agree that the money will not be everything for Doan. My take is that it will be with a team which will have a serious crack at a CUP and a place where his family can adjust the easiest after living in PHX. Van has the advantage of already having family here and being a summer home. Bringing his family to Vancouver would allow his kids some education in Canada and not be totally immersed in the USA culture. Doan has never taken USA citizenship which many other players have done. He has played for Team Canada six times. All this adds up to a Canuck signing IMHO.

Edited by Boudrias, 02 August 2012 - 08:05 AM.

#782 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,990 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

I like the idea. Nice physical mix on the bottom 3 lines. Burrows and Kesler have always played well together. Bring Schroeder up and try him at that 3rd line center for a few games. This lineup is without a Lou tradde as well.

Now those top two lines I can live with.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#783 djsandwiches

djsandwiches

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

I have a hunch, some big announcent will be released on BC Day ;) That is when the whole Luongo & Doan situations will be resolved and outcome announced on this day. My crystal ball says good things gunna happen for the Canucks and their fans on that day.

stay tuned...

Cheers!

#784 werallcanucks

werallcanucks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

why would he get booed... hes never played for us, and anything speculation that he wants to play here is all media based unless he holds a press conference picking us as his team and then signs somewhere else, i could see a bad reaction from the vancouver fans

#785 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 18,194 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

http://www.bizjourna...un.html?ana=twt

Greg Jamison lacks cash needed to run Coyotes after possible purchase

Greg Jamison still doesn’t have all the cash needed to finalize his purchase of Phoenix Coyotes hockey team from the National Hockey League and then also operate the franchise after a sale.

Operating capital could be the newest obstacle facing the Jamison purchase and the Coyotes tenuous situation in Glendale...(more)

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#786 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,564 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

yeah, that's another thing, if he can't even afford to buy the team, how the hell is he going to be able to run the team? (player and staff salaries, equipment, etc).

#787 Provost

Provost

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

yeah, that's another thing, if he can't even afford to buy the team, how the hell is he going to be able to run the team? (player and staff salaries, equipment, etc).

Yep... $17-20 million in losses yearly isn't something that can just be ignored if you don't have deep enough pockets to even buy the team.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#788 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,274 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

...and absorb the losses. Even with the lease agreement with Glendale, the team is bleeding cash. He is asking his investors to anti-up major cash for the "honour" of owning an NHL franchise. From an investor point-of-view, it makes no sense. They will get no return on capital and will be required to inject additional cash every year to cover losses. On top of that, the tax payers and business community are hostile to the arrangement and there is still the threat of a law suit from the Goldwater Institute.

All this to be able to say you own the Yotes and get great corporate seating?!!

No wonder he is having trouble raising capital.

#789 RonnieColeman

RonnieColeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

https://twitter.com/...078898409041921

Take it for what it's worth, guy has gotten a lot of stuff right, but also stuff wrong, but interesting nonetheless.

#790 Franz Liszt

Franz Liszt

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

Take it for what it's worth, guy has gotten a lot of stuff right, but also stuff wrong, but interesting nonetheless.

I only believe him right now because he's got things correct lately.

When he is off (like Parise & Suter), I don't believe him until he gets some things right.

He got the Kaleta signing right, and that new Russian defensman for Tampa Bay (Korobov).

So as of right now, I can believe it.

120px-Liszt_sign.JPG

#791 RonnieColeman

RonnieColeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

I only believe him right now because he's got things correct lately.

When he is off (like Parise & Suter), I don't believe him until he gets some things right.

He got the Kaleta signing right, and that new Russian defensman for Tampa Bay (Korobov).

So as of right now, I can believe it.

Haha fair enough, his credibility changes on a day to day basis. But I found the family portion of the tweet very interesting, as many claims say family is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, factors in all of this for Doan.

Edited by RonnieColeman, 02 August 2012 - 10:41 AM.

#792 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

:bigblush:

#793 Weslok

Weslok

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

If not the Canucks, best that he stays in Arizona (or goes back to the Peg).

Winnipeg already has a team :rolleyes:
Please don't attack other users in your sig.

#794 EDLER.IS.BEAST

EDLER.IS.BEAST

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Winnipeg already has a team :rolleyes:

Which is why it would be easier to go back there?

#795 Robongo

Robongo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

This is ridiculous, just move the god damn team already.

Luongo-Userbar.gif
14vmxhf.jpg

#796 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

Twitter is a buzz with hockeyinsiderr, insiderlegit and eklund all saying Doan will sign in Vancouver if phoenix ownership falters.

Sign arnott, trade luongo and Ballard and Raymond and we have ourselves a busy august! Let's hope the year does not get washed away from the lockout

#797 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

samjam99@samjam99

not sure how legit, but… "@MattHoneyGT: according to friends of the Doan family, Shane is very close to signing with the Canucks…"

Collapse

• 1RETWEET
  • Posted Image
11:52 AM - 2 Aug 12 via Twitter for Mac · Details
It's now "SamJam Official™"!

#798 Bigturk8

Bigturk8

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

samjam99@samjam99
not sure how legit, but… "@MattHoneyGT: according to friends of the Doan family, Shane is very close to signing with the Canucks…"
Collapse

• Posted Image

To be fair he said "not sure how legit" He's not making any claims, just fuelling rumours.
TL.jpg

#799 awalk

awalk

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,483 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

#800 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

samjam99@samjam99
Collapse

• Posted Image

PLEASE GOD PLEASE I WILL GIVE MONEY TO CHARITY

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#801 Blood Fiend

Blood Fiend

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

PLEASE GOD PLEASE I WILL GIVE MONEY TO CHARITY

God has nothing to do with it.

#802 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,600 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

Hockey Gods, that is ;)

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#803 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

I don't want Phoenix to move because I have a vacation house there and the tickets are extremely cheap! I have seen the Canucks play more in Glendale than in Vancouver due to the INSANE ticket prices. (Also I live in the Okanagan)

But I do believe that Doan's FAMILY want's him to sign in B.C. But he still wants to hold on to Phoenix. I feel like NYR will get him. STUPID BIG APPLE!

#804 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,863 posts

Oh, here we go...

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#805 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,274 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

He likely doesn't but I doubt you're the authority on that. ::D

That aside, it's never a good idea to "bargain" with God. Just donate to charity anyways and see what happens. :bigblush:

EDIT: Doan is a Christian. The Nucks have a number of players who are also Christian. God may have more to do with Doan's decision than you know.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 02 August 2012 - 12:40 PM.

#806 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

I don't want Phoenix to move because I have a vacation house there and the tickets are extremely cheap! I have seen the Canucks play more in Glendale than in Vancouver due to the INSANE ticket prices. (Also I live in the Okanagan)

But I do believe that Doan's FAMILY want's him to sign in B.C. But he still wants to hold on to Phoenix. I feel like NYR will get him. STUPID BIG APPLE!

Wait Doan and his agent say in any move family would be the most important consideration; you think his family wants him to sign in BC, yet you think he'll end up in NY?? Something doesn't add up there

#807 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

THIS ISN'T ABOUT GOD
THIS IS ABOUT DOAN
IT'S ONLY A COINCIDENCE THE TWO ARE INTERCHANGABLE

#808 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

Wait Doan and his agent say in any move family would be the most important consideration; you think his family wants him to sign in BC, yet you think he'll end up in NY?? Something doesn't add up there

Not everyone loves vancouver as much as you, in fact if it weren't for the Canucks and Lions I would absolutely hate it

#809 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,759 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

Mobile

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#810 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,564 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

Mobile

shifty

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.