The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Haha okanagan people, I lived on Vancouver Island for 30 years and thought that arrogant.

Metro Vancouver has more to offer than anywhere else in BC. The education, programs and coaching offered to children (and adults) are 2nd to none. The city is producing a lot more professional athletes than the Okanagan.

Referencing the situation in PHX as a gong show is pretty appropriate and we are looking at it from the outside. Imagine what Doan has seen over the years. He has heard all the promises before. Your point about the Yotes not utilizing the maximum CAP allowance simply insures they wont be a serious CUP contender. The Canucks on the otherhand have spent to the max ever since new ownership took over. They have spent non-CAP millions on coaching, facilities and player development. Do you think the Yotes have a hyperbolic chamber?

I also agree that the money will not be everything for Doan. My take is that it will be with a team which will have a serious crack at a CUP and a place where his family can adjust the easiest after living in PHX. Van has the advantage of already having family here and being a summer home. Bringing his family to Vancouver would allow his kids some education in Canada and not be totally immersed in the USA culture. Doan has never taken USA citizenship which many other players have done. He has played for Team Canada six times. All this adds up to a Canuck signing IMHO.

Haha okanagan people, I lived on Vancouver Island for 30 years and thought that arrogant.

The greater Vancouver area has more to offer than anywhere else in BC. The education, programs and coaching offered to children (and adults) are 2nd to none. The city is producing a lot more professional athletes than the Okanagan.

I'm also an okanagan person. Grew up there from 5-15. The ignorance of that poster is insulting. Literally you drive 30 minutes from vancouver and you're on lush ranching Langley.

Not to mention, Pitt meadows, Abbotsford , chilliwack , parts of surrey , maple ridge ... Even Richmond. If Doan wanted.. He could buy a massive ranch in richmond with horses etc.

The okanagan is beautiful but get your head out of your ass.

I'm also an okanagan person. Grew up there from 5-15. The ignorance of that poster is insulting. Literally you drive 30 minutes from vancouver and you're on lush ranching Langley.

Not to mention, Pitt meadows, Abbotsford , chilliwack , parts of surrey , maple ridge ... Even Richmond. If Doan wanted.. He could buy a massive ranch in richmond with horses etc.

The okanagan is beautiful but get your head out of your ass.

The Fraser valley is farm land not ranch land. Yes people raise horses and cattle but it is not what Doan is into. Open range ranching is not practical for the lower mainland (too wet, not enough open range). Merrit, Kamloops and the Peace River country are BC's ranching territories. If Doan decides to come here and buy a ranch, it will be in the interior and near to his relatives (Kamloops).

BTW - the high density livestock practices in the Fraser Valley make it one of the most toxic water tables in the country. Smell Abbotsford lately?

It's not all greater Vancouver area, lifestyles are different past the bridge and abbotsford and beyond are lower Fraser valley completely seperate regional districts! As for water comment abbotsford and chilliwack rate high in water quality and both been top 5 in both provincial and federal ratings tests in last few years! Anyways even if he wants ranching up there it's like. 3 hr drive or shorter flying :)

The Fraser valley is farm land not ranch land. Yes people raise horses and cattle but it is not what Doan is into. Open range ranching is not practical for the lower mainland (too wet, not enough open range). Merrit, Kamloops and the Peace River country are BC's ranching territories. If Doan decides to come here and buy a ranch, it will be in the interior and near to his relatives (Kamloops).

BTW - the high density livestock practices in the Fraser Valley make it one of the most toxic water tables in the country. Smell Abbotsford lately?

Listen maybe I'm ignorant, or even arrogant..

but the lower mainland is farming country....

maybe you consider a dairy operation a ranch, Langley ranching country....you're kidding right?

Some folks grow grapes in Langley, must be wine country too

Hey every place has it pluses but if you like interior dryland the lower mainland is out of the equation.

If you hate dry aired brown hillsides well then I'd suggest west of Hope.

But then again... shucks what do I know.... hell being ignorant and all, us country folk sure can learn a lot from folks offering

Insights..... like if you want to find a cowboy head to Langley for a good ol cattle drive

but back to my point....

the city has very little to do where Doan might go IF he decides to leave the desert!

Team, managament & direction will be what motivates him

Archived