Posted Image

#1294 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

Nucks should move on and get the chemistry for the 2012/13 season started in the offseason. Lu and Doan saga wasting time, bandwith, and will most likely not amount to anything, except for the distraction it will create when training camp opens. I say get on with it, trade for another power forward and get the boys focussed before the starting blocks. I'm a city planner and I need to start the parade route asap.

ps. can a mod pin this thread? I think it deserves pinning as we near the 50 page milestone.

50 pages with 40 of them being bullshyte.

#1295 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

thats bad news for Vancouver. i don't think gillis will offer him 4.

I thought Family and winning the Cup was more important to him?

Depends. Maybe term is important to him as well, and he takes the longer 4-year term w/ a much lower salary then everyone is speculating. Guess we'll see when he signs. I was optimistic he might be coming to Vancouver, but the more this drags on and the more Bross talks things up, I'm thinking they are looking to cash in on a 4-year deal now :( I hope I'm wrong, but it just seems if he was as inclined to sign in Vancouver as we seem to think, it would have happened by now, seeing as Phoenix has supposedly been ruled out.

#1296 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,514 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

Why would he sign with the Preds when they just lost half of the best top pairing in the leauge. Also the Preds aren't a cap team....

If he wants 4 years I would not even CONSIDER anything over 4-4.5 million a season. Either way I want this to end, its been over a month, sign already and move on.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#1297 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

4 years 20 million, if he wants more than that then I don't want him here cause he's not worth any more

#1298 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

4 years 20 million, if he wants more than that then I don't want him here cause he's not worth any more

Agreed, next years re-signings are just as important.
Posted Image

#1299 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

Still, he's a far better scrapper than Burrows... Besides, it doesn't always take 8-10 punches to give someone a concussion. One imperfect connection with the jaw is all it takes sometimes (not unlike Jamie Benn running into a glancing elbow from Doan in an earlier video in this thread) and the odds that Doan connects on a haymaker is 2-3x as likely as Burrows.

I see, so you don't think he could produce exactly what Jason Arnott could do at 37 at the age of 38 in spite of being known as one of the highest conditioned atheletes in the league.

People said Gary Roberts was done after what was it, a broken neck, in '96 at age 30? The guy had ten years of success after that because he knew how to take care of himself both nutritionally and in terms of physical fitness. From age 36 to 40 he had 88g 98a 186pts in 282gp, good for a .66 pts/game production rate (aka 54pts per 82gp) on top of averaging well over a hit per game (NHL.com has sporadic RTSS for those years) and 11 fights, including three fights at the age of 40. Interestingly enough he also had several years of "only" 1 fight per season and yet he was still a feared powerforward even at that age...

The only knock on Roberts was the ability to stay healthy but that problem started way before age 35 and the ability to stay healthy and play a full season has never been an issue for Doan.

Are you honestly suggesting that the well publicized reports of there being "significant mutual interest", that both sides have voiced, are inaccurate? There was reportedly an offer submitted to Doan weeks ago and it was quality enough for Doan to meet with Canucks brass in person just a few days ago. Now you're just in denial if you don't think Gillis & Gillman really want this player since typically GMs who aren't seriously interested in signing a certain player don't end up sitting down with them in person after submitting a formal offer. You take the 4-year/$30m as gospel but don't accept the reports of significant interest. Odd.

So if that's the case, and Doan will only sign a 4-year offer, why is Doan showing up in Vancouver for a follow-up meeting? Either Gillis has tabled a 3-4 year offer or Doan is still interested in signing in Vancouver even if it's only a 2-year deal.

Yeah, but the current CBA (under which this contract would be signed) states that you can't be earning less than 50% of your salary from the previous year so the best that a 4-year/$24m deal could look like would be $10m, $8m, $4m, $2m or $12m, $6.75m, $3.5m, $1.75m.

Incidentally, Kassian has two years left on his ELC so another one to two year deal to prove himself after that puts himself in a perfection situation to pick up the offensive slack left over from Doan's "expected" decline and earn himself Doan's cap hit once Doan hits free agency or is traded after year three to retire .

Alright Miller, the past few days your argument has been how much of a tough guy Doan is and how he will protect the Sedins. Your main argument has been that other teams' "rats" will not be able to push around our stars because Doan will protect them. Also you feel Doan will be a mentor for Kassian. Therefore he's worth a long term contract at Sedins salary.

IMO you have capitulated by saying "he's a better fighter than Burrows". Burrows? Any ways.

So I'm driving yesterday at around 2pm, listening to TEAM1040.

MG was on air, I think with Price and he was taking calls.

Paraphrasing.

caller: MG I understand you are trying to sign Doan. Last 3 years your team has been eliminated by eventual Cup winners. The biggest impact on each series was made by , Byfuglien, Lucic and Brown. Do you think Doan is that player and is that why you are trying to sign him?

MG: I think Zack Kassian is that player. He is in tremendous shape and we couldn't be happier with how hard he's worked over the summer. Kassian is the player we think who will fill that role............... went on to talk about Kassian at length....... last sentence,,, do we think Doan will help our team? Yes I think he would help a number of team in the league including ours.

MG was asked a direct question on this subject which you have been passionately arguing and he named another player for that role. MG did not say Doan would mentor Kassian for that role.

I can 't understand where you got this whole idea of Doan being a protector/fighter/tough guy. Doan has never been that guy, never, ever.

By the way, about your whole argument about Jason Arnott and Gary Roberts being effective post 37 years of age. One question, how much did Arnott make last year? I'll let you know, he made $2.5 mill. Was Gary Roberts amongst the highest paid players on his team for the past few years of his career? NO. He was a role player.

#1300 Gady

Gady

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

yes, 2-3 years ago it would be accurate assertion. :)

In today's market Doan will get 4y : 24-26M. Not necessarily from Canucks.
Love your enemies - it will drive them crazy ...

#1301 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

1) Example? Luongo has always talked about how he wants to do what's best for the team, and he respected AV's decision to put in Schneider for 3 games.

2) Ur #2 point was already addressed in #1 so I'm assuming u just put it in there to make ur list look bigger.

3) He didn't ask out because of 3 games on the bench. In fact, it's uncertain whether he actually wants to leave or not. He simply said he'd waive his NTC. And the reason he said this is because he wants to do what's best for the team and he realizes that Schneider might be a better fit in Vancouver than he himself.

4) He's not reportedly steering anything. It's Gillis who's been talking with these teams because those teams are reportedly looking for a goalie. The only thing he's steering is that he wouldn't mind returning to Florida because his family lives there.

5) Think about what happens when u move ur family because of your job. When I was a kid my dad moved us from Vancouver to San Jose and i absolutely HATED it. I pretty much had my life set and then i had to get used to a whole new environment. Luongo has kids too. I'm pretty sure he must've talked to his family about everything before deciding that he wouldn't make them move to Vancouver.

6) Explain how his production has dropped "dramatically" in any way. In Luongo's career regular season stats he has only gone 1 year with a save % of under .913. That season was his rookie season with the Islanders. If you think about it, that's consistency at its finest. Don't bother bringing up playoffs. He was fairly inexperienced when he came from the Panthers to the Canucks. Yes he did amazing in his first postseason but there's a such thing called "beginner's luck". Something Steve Mason and Andrew Raycroft proved to have and Schneider could too. The risk with young goaltenders is pretty high. in '09 and '10 the Blackhawks exposed his inexperience with their huge offensive powers. In 2011 Luongo literally carried the team to the finals. Sure he may have almost allowed the Blackhawks to come back, but in Game 7 he was the reason we won the series and kept us alive in OT. In the Boston series, we only scored 8 goals in 7 games. Even if Luongo played at his best in every single game, we were likely to have lost. 2 of our wins that series came from shutouts. Again, all Lu right there. Last year he allowed 7 goals in 2 games. In Game 1 he was the only player that showed up. Game 2 is debatable. But we only score 2 goals both those games. The only game we won was the game we scored 3 goals. So by that logic Schneider didn't do much better to help win.

7) That contract is actually pretty good compared to Parise, Suter, DiPietro, Bryzgalov, Nash, Crosby, Rinne, and many more for the level he is capable of playing at.

8) Not play the last few years and still get the big bucks? Uhh in case u didn't realize, Luongo played 54+ games in all his years with the Canucks. If by "not play" you mean underperform, I already addressed that in #6.

9) Again, it wasn't a trade request. It was a "I'll do it if u ask me to" thing. The only way his trade value lowered is because of the signing of Schneider implying Luongo MUST be traded. That was Gillis's fault.

10) You repeated the same point twice again. You seem desperate to make ur list longer and it's hard for me to take you seriously. But I'm not tired of repeating myself cuz I'm a great guy like that. He was not pissed off because he didn't get to play 3 games. By that logic, he'd be pissed off cuz he didn't get to play 82 games every season. Ur just speculating that the reason he wants to leave is cuz of 3 games

I also don't see why you're trying to make this a Luongo thread when it's clearly titled "[Report] No Shane Doan Decision For a Few More Weeks- Leaning Towards Coyotes".

Now. This is one of the top three posts on this site. Anyone who tried to argue with the said facts are blind, ignorant or plain hater of the LuonGOD.

Posted Image

#1302 Gady

Gady

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

A lot of posters just completely ignoring changes in overall salaries in the league. Just imagine that we, say, 6 years ago locked Sedins for 8 years contract at 5M/y. Would it be a big money for them back then? Of course! In fact they got just 3.575M.

And what, today we will be tight not to give anyone more than 5M? Crazy thought ...

#1303 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

Drama.... and no news... :sadno:
Posted Image

#1304 Gady

Gady

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

Drama.... and no news... :sadno:

and here we have ... no drama ... and no news :)

#1305 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

Sundin V2.0

Screw Doan.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#1306 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,508 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

Alright Miller, the past few days your argument has been how much of a tough guy Doan is and how he will protect the Sedins. Your main argument has been that other teams' "rats" will not be able to push around our stars because Doan will protect them. Also you feel Doan will be a mentor for Kassian. Therefore he's worth a long term contract at Sedins salary.

IMO you have capitulated by saying "he's a better fighter than Burrows". Burrows? Any ways.

So I'm driving yesterday at around 2pm, listening to TEAM1040.

MG was on air, I think with Price and he was taking calls.

Paraphrasing.

caller: MG I understand you are trying to sign Doan. Last 3 years your team has been eliminated by eventual Cup winners. The biggest impact on each series was made by , Byfuglien, Lucic and Brown. Do you think Doan is that player and is that why you are trying to sign him?

MG: I think Zack Kassian is that player. He is in tremendous shape and we couldn't be happier with how hard he's worked over the summer. Kassian is the player we think who will fill that role............... went on to talk about Kassian at length....... last sentence,,, do we think Doan will help our team? Yes I think he would help a number of team in the league including ours.

MG was asked a direct question on this subject which you have been passionately arguing and he named another player for that role. MG did not say Doan would mentor Kassian for that role.

I can 't understand where you got this whole idea of Doan being a protector/fighter/tough guy. Doan has never been that guy, never, ever.

By the way, about your whole argument about Jason Arnott and Gary Roberts being effective post 37 years of age. One question, how much did Arnott make last year? I'll let you know, he made $2.5 mill. Was Gary Roberts amongst the highest paid players on his team for the past few years of his career? NO. He was a role player.

Doan was a guy who dropped the gloves 20x from '95-'00 (aged 19-24). That's 4x per year. He had 5 fights in '95-'96, '96-'97 & '05-'06. Jarome Iginla has also had three seasons of 5 fights or more during that same time frame (including 19 fights from age 19-24). Is that to say Doan is as tough and frequent of a fighter as Iginla? No, but it does say he fights. He also hits as hard as Iginla. Let's not ignore that, please. It's a big part of the deterrent factor here.

Doan is not currently a Canuck. Gillis will not say he will be a mentor for Kassian until that can actually happen, ie he's Canuck property as well. Please, Doan is the only available player with a similar skillset and temperament to Kassian's. Surely you recognize that. Yeah, Iginla would be an even better mentor but he's not an UFA...

Roberts made $4.25m in 2003-2004 at the tender age of 37 and he signed a three year $7.5m deal ($2.5m cap hit) under a $39m cap at the age of thirty-nine. That cap hit under a $70.2m is $4.5m for ages 39, 40 & 41.

Edit: Btw, you are making a caricatured version of what I'm saying Doan is: "How much of a tough guy"... Doan is a Samuelsson/Torres/Morrow hybrid that can play in your top-six and drop the mitts when your team needs a response to a cheapshot without embarrassing the team in the fight.

Edit #2: The only things Brown, Byfuglien & Lucic have in common is that they go hard to the net, hit hard, score dirty goals and are tough to move in front of the net (which is what Gillis thinks Kassian can bring there). Byfuglien isn't a good scrapper at all. Neither is Brown.

Edited by Millerdraft, 07 August 2012 - 04:15 PM.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#1307 Gady

Gady

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

Roberts made $4.25m in 2003-2004 at the tender age of 37 and he signed a three year $7.5m deal ($2.5m cap hit) under a $39m cap at the age of thirty-nine. That cap hit under a $70.2m is $4.5m for ages 39, 40 & 41.

Thank you for a good example of what proportion is and how to use it while trying to argue what player worth ...

#1308 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,508 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

WHL rocks,

Tell me, do you think Mark Recchi was a major boon for Brad Marchand or not?

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#1309 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

Doan was a guy who dropped the gloves 20x from '95-'00 (aged 19-24). That's 4x per year. He had 5 fights in '95-'96, '96-'97 & '05-'06. Jarome Iginla has also had three seasons of 5 fights or more during that same time frame (including 19 fights from age 19-24). Is that to say Doan is as tough and frequent of a fighter as Iginla? No, but it does say he fights. He also hits as hard as Iginla. Let's not ignore that, please. It's a big part of the deterrent factor here.

Doan is not currently a Canuck. Gillis will not say he will be a mentor for Kassian until that can actually happen, ie he's Canuck property as well. Please, Doan is the only available player with a similar skillset and temperament to Kassian's. Surely you recognize that. Yeah, Iginla would be an even better mentor but he's not an UFA...

Edit: Btw, you are making a caricatured version of what I'm saying Doan is: "How much of a tough guy"... Doan is a Samuelsson/Torres/Morrow hybrid that can play in your top-six and drop the mitts when your team needs a response to a cheapshot without embarrassing the team in the fight.

Edit #2: The only things Brown, Byfuglien & Lucic have in common is that they go hard to the net, hit hard, score dirty goals and are tough to move in front of the net (which is what Gillis thinks Kassian can bring there). Byfuglien isn't a good scrapper at all. Neither is Brown.

19 to 24? Doan is going to be 36 in a couple of months.

Now you bring up Iginla in comparison to Doan? Are you friking kidding me? Doan has never been close to Iginla in any part of the game. From fighting to scoring to leading. Doan is no Iginla, period.

Your whole argument has been the reason to bring in Doan is to protect the stars. MG does not share your thoughts. Doan is not a protector/fighter. You are flat out wrong in your assessment of Doan.

Thanx for looking up Roberts contract details. How does listing this prove your point? It argues against your point. It proves my point.

Would love to have Doan at Roberts Cap hit and salary pro rated to $70.2 mill.

$4.5 mill? Sign him.

To make Doan the highest paid player on the Canucks is overpayment.

#1310 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

Twice, imo. Anaheim 2006-2007. Chicago 2009-2010 (anyone who didn't see that one coming was blind - they often had Troy Brouwer on their 4th line ffs).

Those two were guaranteed Cups?

No guarantees in sports IMO.

Edited by WHL rocks, 07 August 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#1311 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,514 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

WHL rocks,

Mark? You mean Doctor?
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#1312 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,058 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

Now you bring up Iginla in comparison to Doan? Are you friking kidding me? Doan has never been close to Iginla in any part of the game. From fighting to scoring to leading. Doan is no Iginla, period.

Your whole argument has been the reason to bring in Doan is to protect the stars. MG does not share your thoughts. Doan is not a protector/fighter. You are flat out wrong in your assessment of Doan.

Thanx for looking up Roberts contract details. How does listing this prove your point? It argues against your point. It proves my point.

$4.5 mill? Sign him.

I don't think Miller is suggesting Doan is the reincarnation of Bob Probert. What you get with Doan is a +200 pound winger who consistantly punishes opposing teams with his physical play. If needed he steps up and defends himself or his linemates. Nothing negative about Burrows but he does not have the physical build to do the same job. Opposing teams respect opposition teams who are prepared to bang it out and show that they are prepared to do what it takes to win. Doan has done that very thing thru his career. As good as LA's Dustin Brown was in the PHX series I thought Doan matched off extremely well.

What Doan would do for Kassian is show him the professional side of the game. What it takes to play a physical game thru a season and how to stay focussed on what benefits the team.

#1313 6YPE

6YPE

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

I come here al least a couple of times every day to see if anything has changed. I'm getting to the point that I wish he would just sign ANYWHERE so its over ... this is painful...

11s35sy.png

Sig by -Vintage Canuck-

#1314 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

$4.5 mill? Sign him.

I believe he was comparing the physicality of Doan and Iginla in which I would agree with Miller. Doan isn't known for fighting as much as Iginla but he sure as hell hits a lot more. Doan is much more of a two-way player a la Kesler- very tough to play against with tons of grits and some ability to put the puck in the net. However, Iginla is better offensively and being threat with the puck although not known for his two-way ability.

Iginla and Doan aren't the greatest examples for a comparison as they offer different talents and leadership qualities.

#1315 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

WHL rocks,

Tell me, was Recchi amongst the highest paid players in the NHL?

I don't know how many times I have to say this but I would love to have Doan at $ similar to all of these players you are listing.

#1316 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

I believe he was comparing the physicality of Doan and Iginla in which I would agree with Miller. Doan isn't known for fighting as much as Iginla but he sure as hell hits a lot more. Doan is much more of a two-way player a la Kesler- very tough to play against with tons of grits and some ability to put the puck in the net. However, Iginla is better offensively and being threat with the puck although not known for his two-way ability.

Iginla and Doan aren't the greatest examples for a comparison as they offer different talents and leadership qualities.

So you agree with Miller but then you go on to list how different the two players are? You listed differences from hitting to fighting to the style of play, offensive vs two way game.

Here's the kicker, you finished off by saying:

"Iginla and Doan aren't the greatest examples for a comparison as they offer different talents and leadership qualities"

Your whole post was in response to my following statement:

WHL rocks:

So what you are really saying is you agree with me.

Typo perhaps.

#1317 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,508 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

Ummm... Here's what you said:

I've provided proof otherwise. Was Recchi the same prolific scorer at ages 40-42 that he was at 19-24? No. Did he pass on wisdom for a similarly built Marchand that helped his game? In my opinion, absolutely yes. Is Doan as good of a fighter as he was in '95-'00 or even '05-'06? No, but can he pass on some valuable tips for Kassian on how to play on the edge and when to take a run at a key player? In my opinion, absolutely yes.

Wow, how did you come to that conclusion? All I did was show you that Doan indeed has dropped the gloves on many occasions. You said he was never known as a fighter, never, ever. I even stated "is that to say Doan is as good of or as frequent of a fighter as Iginla is? NO" but then you twist it into something entirely different:

"Now you bring up Iginla['s scoring & leading in comparison to Doan]?" Ummm, no. I did no such thing. Context please?

Now I see what is going on here. You must not be understanding what my view is. You think I'm calling for your idea of "protection for the stars". What I'm actually calling for is a proven top-six powerforward capable of 20g 30a 50pts, that hits hard and often, can drop the gloves when a rat's cheapshot occurs and not embarrass the team in the process. There, it's in bold letters. That is what I'm calling for. It's not the "whole reason" as you are exaggerating yet again here either (what is going on with you, why are you twisting things?).

Other ignored reasons I'm advocating for Doan at a reasonable price: Doan's experience of playing in the NHL when he wasn't really ready and his ability to overcome that to turn into a 50-70pt two-way power winger is something extremely valuable to surround all our young players with but definitely Kassian in particular. Off ice demeanor, charitable work in the community, on ice leadership, off ice leadership, reputation around the league, record of durability, tendency to elevate his game in important games, strength and conditioning, another great example of work ethic for all of our players to be around etc, etc.

Doan would be signing for ages 36, 37, 38 & 39 not ages 39, 40, & 41. Meaning that Doan's contract after this one would be the $4.5m per year contract, not this currently negotiated contract. That's actually not proving your point, it's proving mine in that Doan might actually have two to three more years of quality hockey left after this contract.

Would you be willing to offer Doan a 3-year deal at 6.41% of the cap in three years from now? Is that proving your point or mine?

$4.5 mill? Sign him.

I don't see where we disagree except that you're talking about a 39 year old Roberts vs a 36 year old Doan which is unfair considering the cap has indexed at a 7.9% annual rate from '05-'06 till now meaning Robert's $4.25m salary at age 37 would have been $5.735m in today's market and his $2.5m salary at age 36 would have been $4.27m (I didn't include the lockout year index).

Gillis won't be signing him if it comes at the cost of a higher cap hit than the twins, imo, since he's shown the propensity to get guys like Hamhuis & Garrison at $500k-$1m less than they could get elsewhere. In the case of Hamhuis, there was a report that the Islanders offered him > or = to $6m and there was a report of $6.5m (ridiculous money) for Garrison. I don't think Doan will get a penny more than $6m here and if he actually did choose Vancouver he would probably come in between Kesler's $5m and the twins' $6.1m anyway ($5m-$5.5m in all likelihood).

I'm certainly not advocating for Gillis to offer a 4-year/$30m deal to Doan and if Doan ends up signing for that I'm glad it won't be here, that's for sure.

Edited by Millerdraft, 07 August 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#1318 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

So you agree with Miller but then you go on to list how different the two players are? You listed differences from hitting to fighting to the style of play, offensive vs two way game.

Here's the kicker, you finished off by saying:

"Iginla and Doan aren't the greatest examples for a comparison as they offer different talents and leadership qualities"

Your whole post was in response to my following statement:

WHL rocks:

So what you are really saying is you agree with me.

Typo perhaps.

I'm technically agreeing with both of you. That being said, I think you both are arguing two different things. Millers arguing that Doan's physicality is just as good, if not better than Iginla's where you are arguing that Iginla's value overall (as his offensive totals have proven it even though last year was an off year for him) is greater than Doan.

That's why a cap hit of somewhere around 4.5M per year is fair value for Doan's skillset compare to Iginla who's value who is upwards of 7M.

#1319 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,508 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

Those two were guaranteed Cups?

No guarantees in sports IMO.

Well, those were the only two years I picked a team to win it in the summer when I was talking with my friends and then they absolutely busted out of the gate and destroyed the league for the most part.

Edit: The media picked them all later that summer as well.

Edited by Millerdraft, 07 August 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#1320 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,508 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

Tell me, was Recchi amongst the highest paid players in the NHL?

I don't know how many times I have to say this but I would love to have Doan at $ similar to all of these players you are listing.

You would love Doan at $4.5m (Roberts' cap hit) at age 41? You have qualms about age 38!

Edited by Millerdraft, 07 August 2012 - 06:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.