The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

<p><p>

Sedins signed that contract before they really broke out. People were still questioning if they were true 1st liners. You can't get a truly elite player for 6.1 or less.

That said, 36-year-old-and-up Doan is not going to be "truly elite", so I wouldn't pay him that anyways.

Front loading the contract like that makes no sense for a player like Doan. That tactic is used to lower a cap hit for long contracts to players under 35 years of age. If he retires before the end of this contract, the hit is still on the books. Might as well pay him 6 mill through and through. Just seems odd to me...unless it's considered a signing bonus.

Did Gilman not say that he spoke a lot about wanting to win a cup, and that is what he is looking for, not money?

I guess he still has a great chance at a cup with Pittsburgh, but I Doan't see this report being very factual.

Without Doan signed how does Gillis make an intelligent decision on what he brings back from a Lou trade? Other GMs are faced with competition for Lou's services. Does that really change if Doan is signed? It appears that Kesler will be out until December. NHL coaches usually have a pretty good read on what they have by then. Lou's value might even be enhanced by early season play by weak performance or injury. The pressure for a deal rests fairly equally. Gillis has other trades he could make for CAP purposes while retaining Lou if need be.

I wonder why Canucks still have Gilman on payroll? He was supposed to be a Cap Geek. And now everyone and their dog can go to capgeek.com and pretend that they are experts.

How many times MG said to media - stop worrying about the cap, we got it covered ...

Everyone who thinks its a great idea to sign Doan to a multi year contract worth $6 or $7 million plus per year should read up a bit on Messier signing with the Canucks. Many ppl thought he would lead the Canucks to a cup but some of us are old enough to remember how that turned out. Players who play Doan's style of game don't do well in their late 30's. As a matter of fact almost all players experience a huge drop in their play in their late 30's. That's why most of them retire at that age.

Many ppl on CDC say Doan is a great leader but I don't know why. I do recall that Messier was called the greatest leader in professional sports by most of Canadian sports media.

Doan is overrated and will be grossly overpaid. After one year most ppl on CDC will call him a all sorts of negative names and call for Gillis to be fired for signing Doan to a ridiculous contract.

Front loading the contract like that makes no sense for a player like Doan. That tactic is used to lower a cap hit for long contracts to players under 35 years of age. If he retires before the end of this contract, the hit is still on the books. Might as well pay him 6 mill through and through. Just seems odd to me...unless it's considered a signing bonus.

Everyone who thinks its a great idea to sign Doan to a multi year contract worth $6 or $7 million plus per year should read up a bit on Messier signing with the Canucks. Many ppl thought he would lead the Canucks to a cup but some of us are old enough to remember how that turned out. Players who play Doan's style of game don't do well in their late 30's. As a matter of fact almost all players experience a huge drop in their play in their late 30's. That's why most of them retire at that age.

Many ppl on CDC say Doan is a great leader but I don't know why. I do recall that Messier was called the greatest leader in professional sports by most of Canadian sports media.

Doan is overrated and will be grossly overpaid. After one year most ppl on CDC will call him a all sorts of negative names and call for Gillis to be fired for signing Doan to a ridiculous contract.

Archived