Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

?

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1823 replies to this topic

#1531 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

Never heard of these people, not a real source.

However, with Dan Hamhuis’ agent seeking “an upwards of $5 million” (per William DePaoli) for the free agent whose rights are currently owned by the Flyers, after acquiring them from Nashville, Rozsival at the same amount seems like a bargain.

http://gcaggiano.wor...illiam-depaoli/

The guy first called Hamhuis' asking price in June 2010.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#1532 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

If someone offers you a job on the Alberta oil sands for $100k/year with tough working conditions, a crappy company, lower quality work mates, long cold winters and you have a wife and family... Are you going to take that over a $85k/year job in beautiful Vancouver for a better company, with more benefits, better coworkers, the office has a gym and spa, has more opportunity to advance and is a better environment for your wife and kids...?

the thing is you are blinded by the fact you live in vancouver. because this is your home you automatically think this is "beautiful vancouver." I look outside and yes it is. but this is sadly 2 months of the year. get back to me in november when its cold, windy, and raining. 10 months out of the year, we as vancouverites complain about how this city is dull, boring, cold and rainy.

doan has a vacation home up north during the summer and maybe that is good enough for him. maybe he likes living in phoenix where it is warm.

do you not think the Phoenix dressing room has a gym and spa?

you also fail to mention the pressure cooker Vancouver is, where we can turn on a world class/olympic gold medal goalie, where we criticize cody hodgson for wanting out, criticize av even though he is the winningest coach in team history.

and on top of that, you also have to consider cost of living.
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#1533 Shensmobile

Shensmobile

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

the thing is you are blinded by the fact you live in vancouver. because this is your home you automatically think this is "beautiful vancouver." I look outside and yes it is. but this is sadly 2 months of the year. get back to me in november when its cold, windy, and raining. 10 months out of the year, we as vancouverites complain about how this city is dull, boring, cold and rainy.

doan has a vacation home up north during the summer and maybe that is good enough for him. maybe he likes living in phoenix where it is warm.

do you not think the Phoenix dressing room has a gym and spa?

you also fail to mention the pressure cooker Vancouver is, where we can turn on a world class/olympic gold medal goalie, where we criticize cody hodgson for wanting out, criticize av even though he is the winningest coach in team history.

and on top of that, you also have to consider cost of living.

Taxes probably don't help... Do athletes in Canada still pay normal tax rates or did Burke's petition to change that work?

#1534 Dirt Nasty

Dirt Nasty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

If he doesn't sign with Van, I hope he returns to PHX, I do NOT want to see him in NY.
Posted Image

#1535 RonMexico

RonMexico

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

What is the obsession with a old power forward who wants a long term deal and a boat load of cash? Hasn't this team dabbled enough into the fossil market enough? If Doan was 10 years younger then I would be interested....but all he really brings to the table is 'leadership' and well when was the last time he lead any team to even the SCF? Sedins are waaay better leaders than this guy. While Doan brings a semi-desirable skill set, he also brings nearly washed up status as far as I am concerned...and Arnott is worse. I would rather start the season without these dinosaurs eating cap space and blocking a younger player from seeing significant minutes and developing at the NHL level (you know, something this team doesn't do).

#1536 Goal:thecup

Goal:thecup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

What is the obsession with a old power forward who wants a long term deal and a boat load of cash? Hasn't this team dabbled enough into the fossil market enough? If Doan was 10 years younger then I would be interested....but all he really brings to the table is 'leadership' and well when was the last time he lead any team to even the SCF? Sedins are waaay better leaders than this guy. While Doan brings a semi-desirable skill set, he also brings nearly washed up status as far as I am concerned...and Arnott is worse. I would rather start the season without these dinosaurs eating cap space and blocking a younger player from seeing significant minutes and developing at the NHL level (you know, something this team doesn't do).

Because you don't have to trade those younger/not quite ready prospects to sign UFAs.

Also, just because a lot of us on this board want a lot of the free agents, does not mean Gillis & Company do not target specific UFAs that can help the team now.

If management sees a need to sign Arnott and he gets knocked out of the lineup by a couple stup prospests, what is the bad news here?
It means that we are incredibly deep at centre.

As far as Doan goes, we are short at right wing so even if he gets knocked off the first and second, he would not fall further than the third line (really, not even farther than the second).
And Doan is not a dinosaur yet; Arnott may be getting there and will be offered a shorter-term contract.

Who in the prospects would you start over Arnott, Doan, or even Garrison?
When injuries hit, we will need these guys even more than now.

#1537 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

The Doan of all trades.

I still don't think we'll land this cat, so CDC chill out for the inevitable. I'd rather have a stable internal cap, than spend obscene amounts of money on old free agents. Best of luck Doan.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#1538 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

This thread is getting long. Takes forever to load up.

I feel there will be a decision within the next week.

#1539 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

Mobile

#1540 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

Someones gotta give it too us straight....
Posted Image

#1541 The Architect

The Architect

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:05 PM

Signing 4 year deal as per a bunch of random tweets.

In phoenix that is.

What a gongshow. Fck the Chel.
Sig too big.

THANK YOU P R O L I F I C for the incredible signature!

#1542 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

Funny with all the Phoenix talk and all but if van. Can fit big money for two I think they might get him.

#1543 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

As per John Gambadoro, the only truly legitimate source for Doan news this whole fiasco, the Coyotes and Doan have not discussed contracts since early June. They have not been talking about a contract, contrary to reports.

#1544 Grape

Grape

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

Doan will stay in Phoenix
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  
Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

Don't Click!

#1545 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

As per John Gambadoro, the only truly legitimate source for Doan news this whole fiasco, the Coyotes and Doan have not discussed contracts since early June. They have not been talking about a contract, contrary to reports.

It's ok...sounds like they may have another year to sort Er out

#1546 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

I nominate this thread title for the best thread title in all of CDC because it really is "Ultimate"

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#1547 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,343 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

Sundin V2.0

Screw Doan.

Sundin helped Kesler and the Sedins reach their next level....

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#1548 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

In practice, the Canucks can afford to offer Doan a $2,500 MIL/ year contract on a $2,732 MIL cap hit.

Include Kesler's $5.000 MIL on LTIR and that's $7,732 MIL so a $7,500 MIL contract to Doan, still with a time bomb for Gillis; Kesler coming back, thereby decreasing assets in potential trade from the signing of the Doan contract, though with a set deadline date.

Ballard could be traded. Detroit is left with a sudden desert in defense. If I'm Detroit and add Bouwmeester and Ballard to the back end of my team, I feel much more confident going into the season. Good for three seasons at $4.200 MIL per, Ballard is an excellent investment on a non AV team.

On a $10,932 cap, the Doan offer becomes $10,000 MIL per year.

Doan at $10.000 MIL/ yr, two years, giving him the option to play somewhere else again as a UFA might be something he could look hard at.

The Rangers' cap is at $13.075 MIL.

A Sundin type signing could do wonders for the franchise and give top dollars to a top player. I don't recall how many Cup Sundin got in his career. Conversely, Messier had many.

In this scenario, I believe the Canucks gain a Doan, a Booth and especially, a Kassian If the Doan influence can have the same impact as Sundin on the Sedins and Kesler, then the Canucks have something very special.

Not to speak of how two elite finesse players would benefit from collective toughness...

Edited by GHL, 09 August 2012 - 11:39 PM.

Posted Image

#1549 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:29 PM

If he doesn't sign with Van, I hope he returns to PHX, I do NOT want to see him in NY.

if we could sign Del Zotto to a 6.2m/year offersheet we could either a) poach him from the rangers
B) take them out of the Doan sweeps

Or last but not least they sign both putting them over the cap forcing them to make a trade or at the very least hurt their cap situation going forward.

Edited by Standing_Tall#37, 09 August 2012 - 11:31 PM.

#1550 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:42 AM

I always lol when people get so hyped up about this sort of thing. The same thing happens EVERY single time there's a huge A-Lister in the Free Agents.

> rumors galore he's signing here
> CDC and Canucks fans get giddy
> He signs somewhere else

Sometimes I feel Gillis isn't aggressive enough. Aside from Sundin(who did wonders for us though), we missed out on Heatley, Parise, Gaborik, Suter, and now Doan. I'm sure there's a lot more, but these are the ones that come to mind right now.

And before people start shoving Hamhuis and Malhotra and Ehrhoff down my throat, they're NOT A-Listers in the NHL by any means.
Posted Image

Believe in bLUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#1551 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:13 AM

I always lol when people get so hyped up about this sort of thing. The same thing happens EVERY single time there's a huge A-Lister in the Free Agents.

Sometimes I feel Gillis isn't aggressive enough. Aside from Sundin(who did wonders for us though), we missed out on Heatley, Parise, Gaborik, Suter, and now Doan. I'm sure there's a lot more, but these are the ones that come to mind right now.

And before people start shoving Hamhuis and Malhotra and Ehrhoff down my throat, they're NOT A-Listers in the NHL by any means.

This is what we are giving you, if you want a chance to win we need the cap room.

What is wrong with that message?

I am sick of teams playing for the player, rather than a player playing for the team!

This wine and dine, tire pumping, BS makes me want to puke, the thought of what is said during these sessions makes me phisically ill !!

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#1552 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:22 AM

http://mobile.onthef...ix-coyotes-sale

"@SpectorsHockey: Source says Phoenix Coyotes sale to Jamison is done http://t.co/erjawUhl via @Forechecker"

Edited by Noheart, 10 August 2012 - 05:23 AM.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#1553 Chronopolis

Chronopolis

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:48 AM

I don't recall Heatley, Parise, Gaborik. Suter, or Doan ever winning a cup. Sometimes it's about staying within your salary cap plan, balancing your salaries and your team, and finding "non A-list guys" with experience, grit, and skill, that can bring you over the top. IMO, superstars don't win championships, your grinders do. Balance is much more important than having a superstar on your roster, because their huge long term salaries are going to impede you from being competitive year after year.

Gillis certainy has a plan to stay within the salary cap and budget his team while staying competitive every season; he made that very clear from the beginning, and that's what any smart businessman would do: refrain from bringing on any assets that are (in some ways) unproven and require you to overspend. I would be worried if he was shelling out big bucks for a superstar guy knowing that he won't be able to keep his other players the following year, especially when the guy has no cup-winning experience. Alternately, a good businessman can find an employee who gives you equal or more value for what you pay them, and those are usually the role players who shine during the playoffs and win you cups.

Edited by Chronopolis, 10 August 2012 - 07:11 AM.

#1554 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,221 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

The Rangers actually lost a lot of key depth by trading for Nash. Anisimov and Dubinsky combine to produce around the same number of goals as Nash does anyway, so by adding Doan they would be bolstering their depth which has thinned since acquiring Nash.

Nash - Richards - Gaborik
Callahan - Stepan - Doan
Hagelin - Boyle - Pyatt
Asham - Halpern - Rupp
Kreider

That really isn't as stacked a team as people think. Sure, amazing 1st line that will score around 110 goals, all players around the point-a-game mark. Then the 2nd line has a bunch of 20-goal scorers and 50 point producers, very similar to the Canucks 2nd line.

Their 3rd line has a potential star in Hagelin depending on how his development goes, but Pyatt and Boyle aren't close to 20-goal scorers unlike the Canucks 3rd line featuring Hansen and Raymond who are much more offensively talented but smaller.

Their 4th line are essentially offensively untalented checkers and hitters. Kreider could jump in to add some offensive flair to their bottom-6, because right now they don't have enough skill there after Anisimov and Dubisnky were traded. You win Cups with offensive depth, not offensive stars, which is why NYR is in trouble, even if they get Doan.
Posted Image

#1555 Drive-By Body Pierce

Drive-By Body Pierce

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

The Rangers actually lost a lot of key depth by trading for Nash. Anisimov and Dubinsky combine to produce around the same number of goals as Nash does anyway, so by adding Doan they would be bolstering their depth which has thinned since acquiring Nash.

Nash - Richards - Gaborik
Callahan - Stepan - Doan
Hagelin - Boyle - Pyatt
Asham - Halpern - Rupp
Kreider

That really isn't as stacked a team as people think. Sure, amazing 1st line that will score around 110 goals, all players around the point-a-game mark. Then the 2nd line has a bunch of 20-goal scorers and 50 point producers, very similar to the Canucks 2nd line.

Their 3rd line has a potential star in Hagelin depending on how his development goes, but Pyatt and Boyle aren't close to 20-goal scorers unlike the Canucks 3rd line featuring Hansen and Raymond who are much more offensively talented but smaller.

Their 4th line are essentially offensively untalented checkers and hitters. Kreider could jump in to add some offensive flair to their bottom-6, because right now they don't have enough skill there after Anisimov and Dubisnky were traded. You win Cups with offensive depth, not offensive stars, which is why NYR is in trouble, even if they get Doan.

Assuming a CBA gets hammered out in time, Gaborik won't start the season because of surgery, I believe the same or similar surgery as Kesler. So make that ~90 goals from NYR's top line.

Edited by STiBlammo, 10 August 2012 - 07:56 AM.

Posted Image

#1556 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,433 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

http://mobile.onthef...ix-coyotes-sale

"@SpectorsHockey: Source says Phoenix Coyotes sale to Jamison is done http://t.co/erjawUhl via @Forechecker"

The NHL spotted PHoenix 20 million. NOw if only the NHL was helping the old Winnipeg like this... Or even the Quebec Nordiques like this.........

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#1557 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:09 AM

A different twist on the Doan situation is his work with the NHLPA. Since the owners have given a Sept. 15th deadline for a deal or a lockout, Doan is very up on what will likely come down. If he feels a lockout is in the cards then there is no reason for him to rush a deal. It gives him more time to reach a comfort level with the new PHX ownership. It allows him time to see what happens with the next court challenge on the funding sales tax and also whether the Goldwater Institute sues the City of PHX.

#1558 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

Sometimes I feel Gillis isn't aggressive enough. Aside from Sundin(who did wonders for us though), we missed out on Heatley, Parise, Gaborik, Suter, and now Doan.

Heatley - Thank god we "missed out on him".
Parise - Doesn't want to play in Canada, and is now playing in his home state, as he's always wanted
Gaborik - Maybe, but so did 29 other teams. But I'll give you this one
Suter - See Parise, didn't want to play in Canada, is from Wisconsin, and has a girlfriend (wife?) from Minnesota
Doan - I wasn't aware that he has signed anywhere as of yet, and that we've missed out on him. Sounds like all the "Doan close to signing w/ Phoenix" reports were bogus, as there haven't been any talks between the 2 since June. Now that the sale has supposedly gone through, we'll see what happens, but I'm not convinced he'll stay there, even w/ the sale through, as it's still a money losing franchise, that won't be competitive, and may not even be able to pay the player's salaries in a couple of months from the sounds of things. In that case, I'd say Canucks have as much of a chance of getting him as anyone else.

#1559 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:42 AM

A different twist on the Doan situation is his work with the NHLPA. Since the owners have given a Sept. 15th deadline for a deal or a lockout, Doan is very up on what will likely come down. If he feels a lockout is in the cards then there is no reason for him to rush a deal. It gives him more time to reach a comfort level with the new PHX ownership. It allows him time to see what happens with the next court challenge on the funding sales tax and also whether the Goldwater Institute sues the City of PHX.

Quite the opposite actually. It would be in his best interest to get a good 4-year deal done prior to the CBA deadline. If he can get a deal that is heavy w/ signing bonuses, he gets paid, even if there is a lockout, whereas if there is a lockout and he has no deal yet, he's earning no (new) income at all, just the interest and gains off his investments. Yes he can live off his interest and gains (and we all wish we could earn as much as he makes off those) but that's not the way millionaires think, even the nicest and "most loyal" of them.

#1560 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,171 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:47 AM

Building a massive hockey arena in Glendale, AZ: Was that the worst sports business decision ever made?
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.