#1681 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

POPULAR

Absolutely 100% do NOT want at 7.5M per.

Why do you care if you aren't paying him. If Gillis feels this is whats best for the team in the short, and long term than let it be. He would be a huge asset for this team. Also the contract might be structured in a way where its front loaded some how.

#1682 djsandwiches

djsandwiches

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

If Doan wanted to "really win a cup badly" he'd be signing up with the Nucks, Pens, or Rangers by now. This is probably an agent's tactic (touring teams/cities) to get his client the best possible deal out of the new Phoenix ownership (given that the sale will go through). If Doan truly wanted to sign with the Nucks, the family would be moving and kids would be enrolled in new schools. We are wasting our time here with Doan and holding our breaths waiting for some credible news. Let's shoot for the bigger fish (Ryan or E.Kane) and concentrate on getting a decent return on Lu. This thread will result in a huge disappointment, not to mention wasted bandwith and sensless typing of fonts.

Edited by djsandwiches, 12 August 2012 - 09:38 AM.

Cheers!

#1683 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

Why do you care if you aren't paying him. If Gillis feels this is whats best for the team in the short, and long term than let it be. He would be a huge asset for this team. Also the contract might be structured in a way where its front loaded some how.

For the same reason some of us were not happy when Luongo signed his deal because it will make an asset basically worthless, and front loading does not change the cap hit. Luongo's contract was 10 mill in year one and now at about 7 mill but is the average of the contract that is the cap hit.

#1684 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,803 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

Actually the fans are the ones paying him. Through ticket prices, jerseys, t-shirts, TV revenues. If the NHL really managed itself better we could have more affordable ticket prices. I honestly don't know how the NHL in smaller markets are going to survive with a $70 million cap. The Fans in Canada provide the majority of the revenue in the NHL. 20 of the 30 teams are bleeding money. Why? Because Bettman won't put his foot down on front loaded contracts that GM's try to exploit. Basically owners are cutting their own throats with nutty contracts.

The owners may sign the paychecks, but we the customers are the source of income.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#1685 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

Don't think Doan is signing here ... Looks like Philly or Phoenix

#1686 TheInsideScoop

TheInsideScoop

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

Explain

#1687 SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

Don't think Doan is signing anywhere but Phoenix. Always been is his first choice, always will be. LOVE to have him here, (who wouldn't?) but the dynamics of the situation just don't seem to be pointing in that direction. Moving, (relocating) kids in new school, etc., etc., etc. should have already begun, and unless we've all missed something, that isn't happening. Waiting to see if there's a lockout? Maybe, but we are most likely dealing with a fiercy loyal Phoenix Coyotes player (rightfully so, and has been posted many times) that wants to stay in Phoenix and is giving the new ownership group every opportunity to make that happen.

Hey! I could be surprised and VERY happy over the next month or so if he does actually end up here, but for right now, things aren't looking like that will happen.

:)

#1688 grandmaster

grandmaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

For the same reason some of us were not happy when Luongo signed his deal because it will make an asset basically worthless, and front loading does not change the cap hit. Luongo's contract was 10 mill in year one and now at about 7 mill but is the average of the contract that is the cap hit.

Which is only about 5M

You used the wrong example to make your point

Favorite all time Canuck: Bertuzzi 2002-2003 season
Most clutch all time Canuck: Linden 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Most exciting all time Canuck: Pavel Bure 90's

#1689 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

Which is only about 5M

You used the wrong example to make your point

Not really,,, a contract can be bad because it is to much money, or is far to long,,,7.5 for Doan is to much,,,just like a 4 year deal is to long at his age. Lu for 12 years at age 32 was just dumb and is the main reason his value is lower. if Lu was on a 4 year deal for 6 mill he probably would have been moved already.
Some teams that spend to tthe cap will like Lu's contract because all they care about is the cap, but a team like Florida probably does not want the actual salary to be higher than the cap hit.

Edited by Get real canuck fans, 12 August 2012 - 12:29 PM.

#1690 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

Still waiting...

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#1691 El_Capitan

El_Capitan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,592 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

Still waiting...

Really? Thanks so much for this riveting information!!!

Do you not get enough attention?

Posted Image

#1692 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

Don't know who this guy is but look!:

“@hacksaw1090: @Team1040-Vancouver...Rumblings everywhere in US- the Canucks offered 4Y-30M to Shane Doan-Coyotes”

Retweeted by our friend SamJam99.
Posted Image

#1693 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,048 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

Too bad Philly isn't on his list.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#1694 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

As per Lee Hamilton of XX1090 Sports Radio in San Diego, it is believed that the Canucks have offered Doan $30,000,000 over 4 years.

https://twitter.com/...146394250813440

He's not a rumour-monger, and he is followed by TEAM1040. I'd say, given the circumstances, that it's important we do not rule this out. It's very possible. As with Sundin, we've seen Gillis is willing to overpay for the guy he feels will make the biggest impact on the team and his fellow players

Sundin ended up signing that 2-year/$20m offer?!

I could have sworn he only signed for one prorated year at $8.6m (less than the $10m he was offered). Sometimes initial offers are just attention grabbers to get a particular UFA to really look into your team's situation and see if it's the perfect fit. A guy like Doan, if he was to choose Vancouver, isn't going to want to upset the entire apple cart by going that far over the Sedins' heads. He wouldn't sign for $7.5m per here (Pittsburgh is a different animal altogether with Malkin & Crosby both @ $8.7m).

Having said that, Gillman is on record saying 4-years/$30m is a deal-breaker (as has been stated on the previous page) so I don't believe this report unless Gillis & Gillman feel it's beneficial to leak this info (for whatever reason), which I highly doubt. It's more likely that some other organization has leaked this false (imo) report.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#1695 firestorm238

firestorm238

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

I'm losing track - was the Gilman interview with the 4 years 30mil being a dealbreaker before or after the meeting with Aquilini where there were, "interesting developments"?

#1696 djsandwiches

djsandwiches

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

Sorry for being the Debbie Downer on this page, but; I think this a PR leak from the Nux to say/show "Look here, we tried everything to get him (Doan) to sign with us, even matching what was rumoured to have been offered by an Eastern Conf. team" so to save face as the inevitable is about to drop --that Doan won't sign with the Canucks. Teams tend to leak info in this fashion when the opposite outcome will happen (to come across to their fanbase/supporters as they really tried to get the player to sign). The next presser from the Doan camp will surely be him signing for less to stay in Phoenix (IMO of course).

ps: Plus now that we know what may have been offered by the nux to Doan, watch how many fans (especially here on CDC) will go ballistic at the price tag 4yrs for$30Mil. A collective relief for many fans will also ensue for simply the fact that we didn't sign another dumb contract and made an undeserving overpayment. We will soon forget about all this Doan business quickly and move on. This new rumour will surely start the next phase; the healing process of not landing a big UFA fish.

Edited by djsandwiches, 12 August 2012 - 02:50 PM.

Cheers!

#1697 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Da da da Doan

Posted Image

Edited by Shadowgoon, 12 August 2012 - 03:53 PM.

#1698 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

Not really,,, a contract can be bad because it is to much money, or is far to long,,,7.5 for Doan is to much,,,just like a 4 year deal is to long at his age. Lu for 12 years at age 32 was just dumb and is the main reason his value is lower. if Lu was on a 4 year deal for 6 mill he probably would have been moved already.
Some teams that spend to tthe cap will like Lu's contract because all they care about is the cap, but a team like Florida probably does not want the actual salary to be higher than the cap hit.

Doan's contract will be signed over age 35, whereas Luongo's wasn't.

He can still retire early, whereas Doan's contract will be on the books until it runs out. Furthermore, Luongo's cap hit is over $2m less than what Doan is seeking.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#1699 BCRenegade

BCRenegade

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

ok, now is the time we explore our other (limited) options. Shawn Mattias via Bobby Lou, or maybe offering up to get Arnott. Done with Doan. Feeling a little Doan on my luck!!!

Sig too big. 

#1700 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

Look at it from this perspective, if these rumored numbers are true and this deal is consummated prior to the ratification of the new CBA, it won't actually be a 7.5 cap hit.

If this new CBA has any chance at gaining teeth and coming into effect prior to September 15th, the players are going to have to swallow their pride and accept the salary rollback. This means that all contracts negotiated pre-CBA will be rolled back by the agreed upon amount. Let's say for argument sake that number is 25%.

This would mean that the AAV of Doan's deal would go from 7.5m to 6.4375m/yr (based on the following breakdown) which is slightly north of what he's deemed to be worth. Now if the deal is significantly front loaded say 16/8/4/2, with signing bonus amounts of 8m, 4m, 1m for the first 3 years, the actual salary being rolled back would be 8m, 4m, 3m, 2m. Doan gets a guaranteed 13m over 3 years + the rolled back salaries of 6m, 3m, 2.25m, 1.5m for a total of 12.75m, in the end he walks away with a cool $25.75m and the Canucks get the player they need for the last 3 meaningful seasons of his career at a manageable cap hit.

By the time the contract ages to the last 1-2 years and Doan's production and ability to meaningfully contribute declines becomes a reality, the Sedin's will have signed new deals more indicative of their true market values, as well the cap will have likely risen again (after being rolled back as well), Doan's cap hit will be easier to absorb.

This was just a scenario that popped into the forefront of my mind, and might not be all that far from what Gillis and Gilman are planning/forecasting.

Edited by Shadowgoon, 12 August 2012 - 04:38 PM.

#1701 djsandwiches

djsandwiches

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

I'm Doan with this thread.

Cheers!

#1702 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

Sorry for being the Debbie Downer on this page, but; I think this a PR leak from the Nux to say/show "Look here, we tried everything to get him (Doan) to sign with us, even matching what was rumoured to have been offered by an Eastern Conf. team" so to save face as the inevitable is about to drop --that Doan won't sign with the Canucks. Teams tend to leak info in this fashion when the opposite outcome will happen (to come across to their fanbase/supporters as they really tried to get the player to sign). The next presser from the Doan camp will surely be him signing for less to stay in Phoenix (IMO of course).

ps: Plus now that we know what may have been offered by the nux to Doan, watch how many fans (especially here on CDC) will go ballistic at the price tag 4yrs for$30Mil. A collective relief for many fans will also ensue for simply the fact that we didn't sign another dumb contract and made an undeserving overpayment. We will soon forget about all this Doan business quickly and move on. This new rumour will surely start the next phase; the healing process of not landing a big UFA fish.

I assume you're talking about the dinner with Aquilini, Gillis, Gilman, Doan and his wife? if so, then after.

Oh hello Alain Vigneault, I see what you did there... good one.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#1703 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

Sundin ended up signing that 2-year/$20m offer?!

I could have sworn he only signed for one prorated year at $8.6m (less than the $10m he was offered). Sometimes initial offers are just attention grabbers to get a particular UFA to really look into your team's situation and see if it's the perfect fit. A guy like Doan, if he was to choose Vancouver, isn't going to want to upset the entire apple cart by going that far over the Sedins' heads. He wouldn't sign for $7.5m per here (Pittsburgh is a different animal altogether with Malkin & Crosby both @ $8.7m).

Having said that, Gillman is on record saying 4-years/$30m is a deal-breaker (as has been stated on the previous page) so I don't believe this report unless Gillis & Gillman feel it's beneficial to leak this info (for whatever reason), which I highly doubt. It's more likely that some other organization has leaked this false (imo) report.

If you think over 8 million dollars isn't too much for 28 points I don't know what to say. Seriously.

#1704 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

If you think over 8 million dollars isn't too much for 28 points I don't know what to say. Seriously.

On a one-year deal, it made sense at the time. Kesler wasn't nearly the same player he is today until he played on a line with Sundin & Demitra. The money wasn't going to be used in deadline day acquisitions anyway since the cupboard was bare at the time. At the end of the day, Sundin retired, the Sedins re-signed and no harm was done and yet people continue to completely misunderstand that it was two 1-year offers.

Like I said a few pages back at 4-years/$30m I'd pass if I were Gillis but @ 4-years/$20m-24m I'd bite.

Edited by Millerdraft, 12 August 2012 - 08:33 PM.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#1705 6YPE

6YPE

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

The more I watch this pile of crap happening the more I think he's just jerking everyone's chain... He's gonna end up signing in AZ and wasting everyones time with all this hooplah.. As others have said, if he really wants to play for the Canucks, or the Rags, or whoever, he would have already signed there.

I think he's working on leverage for a better deal in Phoenix and thats all... I think everyone should just move on with their plan "B's" and skip him and let him dry out in the desert, since thats whats gonna happen anyways. All these teams waiting on this guy are wasting their time that could be better spent working out other deals. All thats going to end up happening is a mad scramble to try and get those deals done after he announces his intent to stay in the desert.

11s35sy.png

Sig by -Vintage Canuck-

#1706 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

On a one-year deal, it made sense at the time. Kesler wasn't nearly the same player he is today until he played on a line with Sundin & Demitra. The money wasn't going to be used in deadline day acquisitions anyway since the cupboard was bare at the time. At the end of the day, Sundin retired, the Sedins re-signed and no harm was done and yet people continue to completely misunderstand that it was two 1-year offers.

Like I said a few pages back at 4-years/$30m I'd pass if I were Gillis but @ 4-years/$20m-24m I'd bite.

It doesn't mean he wasn't over-payed. I mean, he was offered 20m over 2 years, and that would have decimated the Canucks the season after his first. Gillis screwed up big time offering that, and we should be thankful Mats didn't sign it

#1707 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

No harm, no foul.

I don't think you can say that the offer to Mats Sundin was a mistake, because it worked out.

I had mexican for lunch the other day, and I trusted a fart a little later, and it was a noisy wet one, but I didn't crap my pants.

Is that a mistake? No, it was a risk.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#1708 nd84

nd84

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

Can't wait until this is Doan and over with.
Posted Image

#1709 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

Can't wait until this is Doan and over with.

You Doan say.
Posted Image

#1710 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

Doan't start this again.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.