Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shawn antoski

(ARTICLE) Beware of the Unproven Goalie

232 posts in this topic

I feel bad for Lou, but yet, more comfortable with Schneids in net. Even when Vancouver lost game five, there was no animosity toward Schneider. It was still aimed toward Lou even though he hadn't played in three games.

To me, at least, it seemed whenever Lou was in net I never knew which goalie we were gonna get; The unbeatable, almost superhuman stopper or the lax, almost uncaring version. With Schneids, I always felt confident that, win or lose, he was gonna give it 110% effort and I think the fans got that sense even in the playoff losses.

In the end I like Schneids as our #1. He was drafted by Vancouver, He was developed by Vancouver, and now he's reaping the rewards of being patient and taking the appropriate steps to becoming a top goaltender in the NHL. I like the fact that we are beginning to trust a bit more in our system and relying less on the UFA market. With prospects like N.Jensen, J.Schroeder, K.Connauton and A.Polasek developing nicely, it's hard not to be positive about our future.

If you have any valid arguments against mine then please, I'd love to hear them, because if you can't disprove what I'm saying then I must be correct.

I know everyone compares Schneider to the greats like Roy, Brodeur, Quick, Rinne, Lundqvist and Luongo, sure, but the probability of him turning out into one of these great goalies of the game is very unlikely.

Open your eyes CDC and look at the other side of the coin. Just look at a guy like Andrew Raycroft for example. He toiled in Boston as a backup for a few seasons and played well (as has Schneider), then had an amazing season where he won the Calder Trophy and was destined to become Boston's go-to-guy. He put up a GAA of 2.05, save % of 0.926, 3 shutouts and 29 wins in just 55 starts. The next season he tanked badly and has never become a starter around the league.

This is still a very realistic probability of Cory Schneider. What tells us that he will be a great goalie anywhere? What tells us that he will win a Vezina anywhere? Stop jumping the gun everybody, he is still as unproven as they come and to hitch our wagon onto this guy is a huge gamble and nothing else.

It would seem that there are more than a few others that find DownundaCanucks views off the mark and fruitless. Maybe if enough posters tell him..it just might just sink in that hes way off the mark...we can hope anyway !

If you have any valid arguments against mine then please, I'd love to hear them, because if you can't disprove what I'm saying then I must be correct.

I know everyone compares Schneider to the greats like Roy, Brodeur, Quick, Rinne, Lundqvist and Luongo, sure, but the probability of him turning out into one of these great goalies of the game is very unlikely.

Open your eyes CDC and look at the other side of the coin. Just look at a guy like Andrew Raycroft for example. He toiled in Boston as a backup for a few seasons and played well (as has Schneider), then had an amazing season where he won the Calder Trophy and was destined to become Boston's go-to-guy. He put up a GAA of 2.05, save % of 0.926, 3 shutouts and 29 wins in just 55 starts. The next season he tanked badly and has never become a starter around the league.

This is still a very realistic probability of Cory Schneider. What tells us that he will be a great goalie anywhere? What tells us that he will win a Vezina anywhere? Stop jumping the gun everybody, he is still as unproven as they come and to hitch our wagon onto this guy is a huge gamble and nothing else.

Nobody will pin anything on Cory unless he has a number of flame-outs in the playoffs for 3 years in a row.

I was an avid Luongo supporter until the Boston series was over as I'm sure most of us were. Some people can only take so many crap performances at the most important times before they get fed up.

Luongo was given plenty of rope by the fans and management and maybe to a lesser extent the media for a long time. Unfortunately he used all of that rope and hung himself with it.

you may be right, but I dont think so.. I think Cory is now on the clock.. how can he not be? if he wants the starting gig then he's gonna realize real soon what it means to be on the "hot seat". I beleive schnieder is a great goalie and has the potential to do really well, however you mean to tell me that if pur defense as a whole has a poor season or playoffs (like they did recently versus LA) or if our offense dries up and cant score a pp goal to save their lives that this time people will magically point the finger at those reasons rather than Schnieder?

Sorry.. I wish I could say I had more respect for the hockey knowledge our fans in this city have, but after all the undeserved hate that luongo recieved having "singlehandedly losing us the cup" that so many people seem to beleive, I dont think much will change.. fans seem to be incapable of blaming anyone else but the goaltender for letting in the goals when they look up at the scoreboard. Mark my words, there will be a game during the season where schnieder willget lit up, and the posts will begin.."why did we trade luongo" "did we make a big mistake". sad and lame, but true. Schnieder may have a longer rope at the moment but its naive to think it will boil down any differently for him. playoffs or reg season.. no matter, the first game that schnieder loses on account of one or two bad goals is the game that he will make enemies in this city since goalies here are not allowed to make mistakes.

It is like that in every hockey mad market city, don't think we are special here and every other goalie in the league gets a free ride. And it is that pressure that most players love about playing in these kind of markets, Lou included. The players don't give a rat's azz about fans booing or cheering, they want a loud packed stadium.

Well, i think they may want to win more.. but yes, a full stadium is nice.. especially when the fans have to take out a mortgage on their house for seasons tickets.

I don't know what the problem is with everybody just ride lu! As long as we don't have to play in minny, boston chicago san jose or anywhere else that gives him the heebie jeebies.... we'll be great. Trade schneider keep lu obvious why go with a young stand out goalie thats cheaper and more mentally stable but that wouldnt be vancouver style ride the old horse till it dies.

Not to mention lu did win an olympic gold on that talentless team canada squad. Lu seems like the type of guy that needs his ice cream softend to lessen the chance that he chokes on it.

when did quick get solidified as one of the all time great goalies btw?? really wtf is up with that played great in this years playoffs but all time great? really..

Inconsistency is far from the worst trait a goalie can have - consistently poor play is. The old adage is that a goalie should only have to win 2 games of a playoff series by himself, the team should be able to at least pull out the other two.

wow are you one to talk.

after reading your posts slamming luongo at pretty much any chance possible and you wont even debate someone when they put up a valid argument why Luongo actually is an amazing goaltender in despite his flaws... yeah, its way easier to just flip it around, throw out a one liner for an answer and hope people are dumb enough to not notice.

heres a fact for you.. you can use the "ive played goal in juniour" argument all you like, it matters not when you represent yourself poorly on here.. to anyone thats read your incessent bashing of luongo on here its pretty obvious that you're set on defaming the guy.. yet youre telling downunda that hes only looking at positives and leaving out the negetives??

youre ridiculous.. RIDICULOUS

I'm not saying he wasn;t great at times..or in the past...I'm just saying Schneider is NOW better....Management seem to agree as they have opted to keep schneids....ever wonder why?

You keep replying to long, thoughtful posts backed with facts with a one-liner, which usually doesn't even try to contradict the presented evidence, but attacking the poster. Stop. I don't mind you arguing your side, but it's impossible to argue with your one liners, and in turn, you think you've won the argument.

EDIT: So it's ancient history to you, and his take on it, so what is your take on it?

Business. He's younger, he's cheaper, and he's proven he is a very, very good goalie. For Canucks management, it's not entirely just about "who is better".

Only because these are repeat posts...how many times can you offer a rebuttal to these long tirades of his.. and nowhere have I indicated that I won the argument...thats your take on it and incorrect. I have never stated Luongo has not been a very good goalie or is washed up now. Based on my experience with goaltenders and my stance echoed by others (including management),, Schneider is NOW better and is the guy going forward. Otherwise, they would keep the better goalie. Its about winning, the Canuck owners make tons of money but are in it to win !! Downunda never recognizes Schneiders stats and superiority, he just quotes 05. 07 ....5-7 years ago...its all about...what have you done for me lately !! You can;t argue against passion...its a numbers game , through in some chemistry and you can succeedin closing.....its really hard convincing 17 yr olds !!

It is going to be interesting to see how Bobby Luo handles riding the pine if Gillis can not trade him.

This is not the situation you put Luo or your team in.

Maybe not with those exact words, but you really expect people who have read your posts to beleive this? Get real. You may have a short memory, but I certainly dont. Just accept the fact that you have a vendetta against the guy instead of backpeddling now and making yourself sound stupid.

That'd be like me saying "well, I never said I'd like to see Mason Raymond off the roster".. yknow what, I did.. I have said that numerous times and I stand by it. Maybe I'm right and maybe I'm wrong.. at least I won't go back on what I said. You on the other hand seem to have no problem with it.

IMO you have little credibility and you continue to prove that.

Point made...but I'm not likely to have my feelings hurt by a 17 yr old !!

why do the canucks have to trade one of the best goalies in the NHL????

oh yea thats right are dumb fans listen too the even dumber media

Luongo will be the best goalie the canucks ever had

:picard: i hope we dont go back to the goalie graveyard days

I'm not hating on schneider, he has potential but Luuu is proven... He is the reason why we are an elite team

you may be right, but I dont think so.. I think Cory is now on the clock.. how can he not be? if he wants the starting gig then he's gonna realize real soon what it means to be on the "hot seat". I beleive schnieder is a great goalie and has the potential to do really well, however you mean to tell me that if pur defense as a whole has a poor season or playoffs (like they did recently versus LA) or if our offense dries up and cant score a pp goal to save their lives that this time people will magically point the finger at those reasons rather than Schnieder?

Sorry.. I wish I could say I had more respect for the hockey knowledge our fans in this city have, but after all the undeserved hate that luongo recieved having "singlehandedly losing us the cup" that so many people seem to beleive, I dont think much will change.. fans seem to be incapable of blaming anyone else but the goaltender for letting in the goals when they look up at the scoreboard. Mark my words, there will be a game during the season where schnieder willget lit up, and the posts will begin.."why did we trade luongo" "did we make a big mistake". sad and lame, but true. Schnieder may have a longer rope at the moment but its naive to think it will boil down any differently for him. playoffs or reg season.. no matter, the first game that schnieder loses on account of one or two bad goals is the game that he will make enemies in this city since goalies here are not allowed to make mistakes.