The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(ARTICLE) Beware of the Unproven Goalie

shawn antoski

If Luongo is traded this team will not be a contender. Schneider is nowhere near a world-class goalie yet and it's a big gamble to just expect a 2-year backup to jump into stardom based on 56 games of experience.

MG would be naive to select Schneider over Luongo, but if this does happen the only way he can truly rectify this idiotic move is to acquire some solid assets for Luongo, so much so that they fill the hole in our success that Schneider will create because mark my words, if Schneider is our full-time starter next season we will not win a Cup.

If Luongo is traded this team will not be a contender. Schneider is nowhere near a world-class goalie yet and it's a big gamble to just expect a 2-year backup to jump into stardom based on 56 games of experience.

MG would be naive to select Schneider over Luongo, but if this does happen the only way he can truly rectify this idiotic move is to acquire some solid assets for Luongo, so much so that they fill the hole in our success that Schneider will create because mark my words, if Schneider is our full-time starter next season we will not win a Cup.

The reason we are an elite team is Luongo kept us in the hunt long enough during the lean years to allow certain players to develop their games to the point they are at now. Back in 05/06 could you have envisioned the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Bieksa et al having the types of seasons they've just had the past 2?

It's the reason it's called a team, because it relies on more than one individual. But here is the question I pose to you: If the TEAM performs as a whole better on average with one individual over another (experience vs inexperience) and the one that gel's the team together is the inexperienced one, how can you not go with him?

Granted Luongo is far from the reason as to why there has been a rather anaemic level of playoff success the past six years, but something has to give. Luongo isn't being traded because he isn't as good as he was 6 years ago or anything of the sort, it's simply a business decision. In the world of asset management in a Salary Cap landscape, you need to go with the youngest, highest performing lower costing option regardless of the position, especially when you have a choice in the matter.

Trading Schneider would be the equivalent of Florida trading Luongo to us when they did, the only difference is the sample size is much, much smaller. I guarantee every Lou lover would change their tune if Schneider was the one on the trading block, ends up going to another team and winning a cup. Conversely if Luongo was traded and he found instant post season success, the Lou lovers would be damning Schneider and calling for Gillis' head.

It's really a no win situation for anyone involved, no matter how it unfolds someone will be unhappy.

As Tallahassee said "It's time to nut up or shut up". In other words, stop the senseless bitching and moaning and just let the chips fall where they may and assess the situation after it's unfolded. I mean god damn, were not even into August yet and everyone is crying foul and saying the sky is falling. Go outside, ride a bike, have a BBQ or go for a picnic (beware of picnic basket thieves). Enjoy the summer and look forward to the upcoming season.

What's that you ask? Calling the kettle black are we? I'm sitting in an air conditioned office because I "work" for a living.

As Tallahassee said "It's time to nut up or shut up". In other words, stop the senseless bitching and moaning and just let the chips fall where they may and assess the situation after it's unfolded. I mean god damn, were not even into August yet and everyone is crying foul and saying the sky is falling. Go outside, ride a bike, have a BBQ or go for a picnic (beware of picnic basket thieves). Enjoy the summer and look forward to the upcoming season. Shadowgoon

The reason you and all of us are here is that we are hockey and Nuck fans.

This is a fan forum for Nuck fans.I mean ,what are you saying when you are contributing by moaning and whining about moaning and whining?

I thought the vitamin D was pretty good the last few days on the Lower Mainland.

You must have a desk job.

Oh,and get that air con cleaned out ASAP.

Cory will excell as our starter,. Do not worry.. Lou isn't exactly proven either in the NHL. At least when it comes to the playoffs. And really that's all that matters. I'm confident in cory when it comes to high pressure games,, not so much Lou.

Maybe that's because he has next to zero career playoff experience. The kid (and yes, he is a kid compared to the other goalies in the league in terms of his experience) has 1 playoff win under his belt, 2 losses and a bad outing in game 6 against Chicago. He is the definition of a wild card in the playoffs and no one knows what to expect from him.

Luongo is a much safer bet IN THE PLAYOFFS than Schneider. Don't forget all those big clutch games that Luongo came up huge for us in. He played superbly in the Olympics as well when stakes were as high as they get, stole the #1 position from the best goalie to ever play this sport and came up big when he had to. People also forget the fact that this man single-handedly dragged this team's sorry ass out of what would have been a complete franchise overhaul against Chicago in 2011. I'll put things into perspective for you guys, if we lost Game 7 against Chicago that's not only the President's Trophy winners falling to an 8th seed team, that's a historical loss in itself and the 3rd season in a row that we lose to the same team. The Vancouver Canucks would have been the laughing stock of the NHL, not the Maple Leafs, and we would have seen the biggest overhaul the NHL has seen from top to bottom, from management to our core players. Instead, Luongo saved this franchise with IMO the biggest saves in franchise history on Hossa and Sharp in Game 7 to allow us to win it. Sure he went on to almost win us a cup single handedly, but I look back at that Chicago series as the biggest potential downfall in NHL history and 1 man saved us. This franchise and its fans owe everything to Luongo, and no one really appreciates what he did because we ended up winning.

Face it, Luongo is a proven big-game performer, so why get rid of a guy like this when we know he will perform in those important games for a guy like Schneider who may or may not.

Maybe that's because he has next to zero career playoff experience. The kid (and yes, he is a kid compared to the other goalies in the league in terms of his experience) has 1 playoff win under his belt, 2 losses and a bad outing in game 6 against Chicago. He is the definition of a wild card in the playoffs and no one knows what to expect from him.

Luongo is a much safer bet IN THE PLAYOFFS than Schneider. Don't forget all those big clutch games that Luongo came up huge for us in. He played superbly in the Olympics as well when stakes were as high as they get, stole the #1 position from the best goalie to ever play this sport and came up big when he had to. People also forget the fact that this man single-handedly dragged this team's sorry ass out of what would have been a complete franchise overhaul against Chicago in 2011. I'll put things into perspective for you guys, if we lost Game 7 against Chicago that's not only the President's Trophy winners falling to an 8th seed team, that's a historical loss in itself and the 3rd season in a row that we lose to the same team. The Vancouver Canucks would have been the laughing stock of the NHL, not the Maple Leafs, and we would have seen the biggest overhaul the NHL has seen from top to bottom, from management to our core players. Instead, Luongo saved this franchise with IMO the biggest saves in franchise history on Hossa and Sharp in Game 7 to allow us to win it. Sure he went on to almost win us a cup single handedly, but I look back at that Chicago series as the biggest potential downfall in NHL history and 1 man saved us. This franchise and its fans owe everything to Luongo, and no one really appreciates what he did because we ended up winning.

Face it, Luongo is a proven big-game performer, so why get rid of a guy like this when we know he will perform in those important games for a guy like Schneider who may or may not.

Archived