The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(ARTICLE) Beware of the Unproven Goalie

shawn antoski

why do the canucks have to trade one of the best goalies in the NHL????

oh yea thats right are dumb fans listen too the even dumber media

Luongo will be the best goalie the canucks ever had

:picard: i hope we dont go back to the goalie graveyard days

I'm not hating on schneider, he has potential but Luuu is proven... He is the reason why we are an elite team

What about Bryzgalov? Remember he was backing up Giguere in Anaheim a fews years back. What about Rinne? Remember when he was backing up Vokoun in Nashville? There's a lot more but a goalie can't prove that he's a starter if not given the chance. We'll see how this works out for Van.

That's the special thing about Schneider, he's excelled at EVERY level.

In college, for the Boston College Eagles, he posted these stats;

2004/2005 18 GP, 13-1-4, 1.90 GAA, .916 Save %

2005/2006 39 GP, 24-13-2, 2.11 GAA, .929 Save %

2006/2007 42 GP, 29-12-1, 2.15 GAA, .925 Save %

In the AHL, for the Manitoba Moose, he posted these stats:

2007/2008 36 GP, 21-12-2, 2.28 GAA, .916 Save %

2008/2009 40 GP, 28-10-1, 2.04 GAA, .928 Save % (Won Aldege "Baz" Bastien trophy as AHL goalie of the year)

2009/2010 60 GP, 35-23-2, 2.51 GAA, .919 Save %

In the NHL, as Luongo's backup, he posted these stats:

2010/2011 25 GP, 16-4-2, 2.23 GAA, .929 Save % (Shared Jennings trophy with Luongo as tandem with least goals allowed)

2011/2012 33 GP. 20-8-1, 1.96 GAA, .937 Save %

The only team in his career when he posted sub-par numbers was when he got spot starts in the NHL while he was still a regular in the AHL. But as a regular player at every level, the guy has been unreal. Does it all mean he's guaranteed to be elite as an NHL starter? No, I suppose not, but a player like this is as much a shoe-in as there is.

The Canucks management, as well all know, is a safe and cautious group. They wouldn't be going this direction if they weren't certain about Schneider being the absolute real deal.

It's certainly possible that Schneider flubs it, but very unlikely in my opinion. More likely is that his currently glittering stats get eroded after a couple years of starting as players and coaches from other teams get more video and can analyze his game more closely (I expect the same will happen to Quick, now that he's had so much exposure).

My concern is that an early and/or major injury leaves us incredibly exposed at the most important position. There's too much invested in the roster and in contending every season right now for us to place that much weight on one guy staying healthy.

The article talks about risk. "Risk" is not necessarily bad. It works in some cases because of a lack of scouting. Teams sometimes aren't prepared for the likes of Ward, Roy, Holtby, Brodeur when they first emerged as quality starters. But then there's the other end of the spectrum with the likes of Mason, and Raycroft who started out well, but fell apart, either physically or mentally, and are merely supporting stats for the cautious side.

All GMs take risks. They take calculated risks, where some pan out (Iginla for Nieuwendyk), some don't (Bertuzzi to Florida). They have to rely on information from their scouting and development staff. If I'm MG, I look at that 8 game stretch where Luongo sat. I look at the consistency in the AHL. I look at Schneider's age vs. Mason's and Raycroft's. I acknowledge that there may be issues where Schneider shows fatigue, but that's why you get a quality backup to give Schneider appropriate rest.

See, I look at Steve Mason and Andrew Raycroft and I notice a glaring factor: Neither went through the slow, methodical development process that Schneider went through. Actually, Raycroft was pretty close to Schneider in terms of the development process but there was still one key difference. As Schneider spent three years in college, Raycroft spent three years in the OHL. And again, as Schneider spent another 3 years in the AHL, so did Raycroft. After those total six years of development for each player is where the key difference lies. Raycroft was thrust into the starters role for the Bruins right off the hop, whereas Schneider spent two years as Luongo's backup and slowly gaining NHL experience. Now, Raycroft actually excelled at first but it seems that sudden NHL responsibility caught up to him, as he was never the same after the lockout

As for Steve Mason, we all know he was just plain rushed. He spent a whole 2 seasons in the OHL as a starter during the 06/07 and 07/08 seasons and then played 61 games in the NHL for the Blue Jackets during the 08/09 season.

All this to say, I think Schneider has been prepared as much as he can be to be a starter in the NHL. What more can he or the organization realistically do? All that's left is for him to be given the chance to be the starter. Period.

why do the canucks have to trade one of the best goalies in the NHL????

oh yea thats right are dumb fans listen too the even dumber media

Luongo will be the best goalie the canucks ever had

:picard: i hope we dont go back to the goalie graveyard days

I'm not hating on schneider, he has potential but Luuu is proven... He is the reason why we are an elite team

dont even have to look around the league for examples, the canucks in 1994 with whitmore and mclean whole city was calling for quinn's head when he put mclean in game1 of the playoffs because whitmore(the young goalie) had better stats.

we then proceeded to run mclean through the coals in 1995 (sound familiar?)

how quickly we forget!

What I am worried about is that when Schneider got 20 more starts in his third year in the AHL his GAA went up half a goal. I am not saying that he is not capable of being an elite goalie in this league, it's just that I think we should let Luongo and Schneider duke it out for the starting position for the upcoming season. And if either one struggles start the back up.

I am not worried about it. Cory has proven himself and is consistant between the pipes. I agree that Luongo's asking price is not too high as he is also a proven starter. I just want this deal to get done so we can move on. If Hasek is getting attention at this point, then Luongo should be packing his bags.

If at all possible, I would like to see both goalies here for the start of the season. Let teams like toronto, florida, tampa bay watch their current goalies lick balls and get a bidding war going for Luo. I hate the thought of people thinking that we cant expect much for him. Really? I thought an elite franchise goalie was the most important player for a team to build itself around. There should be at least 20 teams interested in Luongo. He would be an upgrade to at least 20 teams.

Then you two are likely the only two "fans" in the world that would find it funny that your team missed the playoffs. Some of you are so irrational that you'd wish ill fate upon your own team just to make a point. THAT is what's funny.

If at all possible, I would like to see both goalies here for the start of the season. Let teams like toronto, florida, tampa bay watch their current goalies lick balls and get a bidding war going for Luo. I hate the thought of people thinking that we cant expect much for him. Really? I thought an elite franchise goalie was the most important player for a team to build itself around. There should be at least 20 teams interested in Luongo. He would be an upgrade to at least 20 teams.

I'll tell you right now that Cory's different, i can tell he has nerves of steel, intestinal fortitude and lots of smarts. He'll be in Vancouver for a long time, and if they don't win the cup with him, i would venture to guess it probably won't be his fault.

Archived