The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(ARTICLE) Beware of the Unproven Goalie

shawn antoski

dont even have to look around the league for examples, the canucks in 1994 with whitmore and mclean whole city was calling for quinn's head when he put mclean in game1 of the playoffs because whitmore(the young goalie) had better stats.

we then proceeded to run mclean through the coals in 1995 (sound familiar?)

how quickly we forget!

dont even have to look around the league for examples, the canucks in 1994 with whitmore and mclean whole city was calling for quinn's head when he put mclean in game1 of the playoffs because whitmore(the young goalie) had better stats.

how quickly we forget!

I remember being at a game back in the 90's when Troy Gamble was in net, he lost his balance in the crease and the puck was being shot so he lifted the net up off it's moorings prior to the puck crossing the line. Lol, that was amusing.

This was the only clip I could find of Gamble on YouTube, and surprise surprise who the Ref is who let this IHL game devolve to ridiculous chaos; none other than Stephane Auger!

We already know it's a big risk. But Schneider has been tested over, and over, and over again and he has come through each time. If Schneider plays like he has been, he will be one of the best goalies in the league. Even if his numbers drop off a bit he will still be one of the best in the NHL. He's been developed properly and he has a good head on him. All the signs point to him being the real deal. It's a risk the Canucks have to take.

That's the special thing about Schneider, he's excelled at EVERY level.

In college, for the Boston College Eagles, he posted these stats;

2004/2005 18 GP, 13-1-4, 1.90 GAA, .916 Save %

2005/2006 39 GP, 24-13-2, 2.11 GAA, .929 Save %

2006/2007 42 GP, 29-12-1, 2.15 GAA, .925 Save %

In the AHL, for the Manitoba Moose, he posted these stats:

2007/2008 36 GP, 21-12-2, 2.28 GAA, .916 Save %

2008/2009 40 GP, 28-10-1, 2.04 GAA, .928 Save % (Won Aldege "Baz" Bastien trophy as AHL goalie of the year)

2009/2010 60 GP, 35-23-2, 2.51 GAA, .919 Save %

In the NHL, as Luongo's backup, he posted these stats:

2010/2011 25 GP, 16-4-2, 2.23 GAA, .929 Save % (Shared Jennings trophy with Luongo as tandem with least goals allowed)

2011/2012 33 GP. 20-8-1, 1.96 GAA, .937 Save %

The only team in his career when he posted sub-par numbers was when he got spot starts in the NHL while he was still a regular in the AHL. But as a regular player at every level, the guy has been unreal. Does it all mean he's guaranteed to be elite as an NHL starter? No, I suppose not, but a player like this is as much a shoe-in as there is.

The Canucks management, as well all know, is a safe and cautious group. They wouldn't be going this direction if they weren't certain about Schneider being the absolute real deal.

Thats what I've been saying all along. It is time to get out of the comfort zone of killing goalies at the stake and keep Luongo. Do something different for once.

How many Cup would New Jersey NOT have had had they traded Brodeur because he didn't win the Cup initially?

That 40 year old Brodeur... What a loser really. He has played 19 seasons and only won 3 cups. That's only a 15.7% winning percentage.

Won the Cup in '95 with a stacked team but with a 2.45 and a .902. Loser.

Won't he Cup again in 2000. FIVE years went by without winning a Cup. I personally cannot believe New Jersey didn't trade him in '96 after "not showing up". A 2.24 and a .910 is pathetic. Loser.

Then he goes on winning another Cup in '03 posting a 2.02 ad a .903.

This year, with his 2.12, .917, I have no clue how he ended up in the finals.

Let's face it. Brodeur is no Schneider. Schneider posted a 1.31, .960. Brodeur is a loser he has a 2.02, .921 in 205 games.

Vancouver is one 1D away from winning the Cup and they would with Luongo. He NEEDS our positive support. You cannot possibly treat a goaltender like a politician.

Keep Luongo. He is proven.

This is the difference between Luongo and Schneider. Night in, night out you're never quite sure which Luongo will show up. It could be the Luongo who lets in 3 ridiculous soft goals in the first period or the lights out all star goaltender from the 06/07 season.

With Schneider night in, night out you know who you're getting. You can safely expect a good solid game from Schneider, he will have bad games yes every goaltender does, but it's that assured feeling you get with Schneider in net that doesn't have you holding your breath every time the opposing team breaches the blue line with numbers and looking offensively dangerous.

I dislike watching the games with a high level of anxiety which is what I get with Luongo in net; I tend to focus more on him in net whereas with Schneider in net I can actually enjoy the game.

how quickly we forget!

So being top 20 all time in wins and shutouts. Luongo's playoff career save percentage 0.916, Brodeur 0.919, Roy 0.918 those are two of the greatest goalies ever Luongo saves a similar amount of shots. Roy has won the most playoff MVPs then anyone. Brodeur basically has every significant goalie record.

We already know it's a big risk. But Schneider has been tested over, and over, and over again and he has come through each time. If Schneider plays like he has been, he will be one of the best goalies in the league. Even if his numbers drop off a bit he will still be one of the best in the NHL. He's been developed properly and he has a good head on him. All the signs point to him being the real deal. It's a risk the Canucks have to take.

playing 60 games and 60 minutes of hockey in the ahl and nhl are no different IMO so how again is he not able to handle a 60 game load with a back up playing the other 22 games. He is and has been groomed to be a starter goalie its this nonsense talk about how he will bust. To say that about cory is just ignorant every starting goalie in the league had to start somewhere and cory has done that he learned from lou and the goalie coach, he is young and will only get better because he is teachable were as lou time to time goes back to his old habits.

why do the canucks have to trade one of the best goalies in the NHL????

oh yea thats right are dumb fans listen too the even dumber media

Luongo will be the best goalie the canucks ever had

:picard: i hope we dont go back to the goalie graveyard days

I'm not hating on schneider, he has potential but Luuu is proven... He is the reason why we are an elite team

not elite two president trophies back to back and division champs over and over seems like the old avs when they dominated but did they win the cup year in year out no. The canucks are on the right track of elite status if not now.

Archived