The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(ARTICLE) Beware of the Unproven Goalie

shawn antoski

why do the canucks have to trade one of the best goalies in the NHL????

oh yea thats right are dumb fans listen too the even dumber media

Luongo will be the best goalie the canucks ever had

:picard: i hope we dont go back to the goalie graveyard days

I'm not hating on schneider, he has potential but Luuu is proven... He is the reason why we are an elite team

The last time that there was an NHL lockout, many players had contracts that paid them even when they were in a lockout. Is that the case with most current players contracts?

If so, this could be one of the reasons why Luongo (or Schneider) is not on the move.

I don't really see the problem with starting the season with both goalies as long as they are comfortable playing as equals and pretty much even starts. Schneider has only said that he wants to start more games than last year, he never said that he wanted to play 61 games like Luo. These 2 goalies get along well and could be a real force and both rested for the playoffs at seasons end. Both of these guys are team guys and understand that if a trade is not there that makes sense, MG can't move one of them.

As far as $9M being tied up in goalies, $4.5M average for each of them isn't unmanageable. If we got an experienced backup, he would probably get around $2- 2.5M so we are really talking about paying $2M more to keep a pair of goalies that won the Jennings. So....let's say that Jensen comes to camp and makes the team. Maybe he is that big gifted goal scorer that we need. His entry level contract easily makes up the cap space used up on keeping both goalies. Add in cap saved by Kesler being out and Schroeder playing and the problem is solved.

When Kesler returns, put Jensen out with Kesler and Booth. Kes and Booth are good defnsively and could teach Jensen a lot.

This would make much more sense than trading either of these goalies when the GM's are not willing to pay what is fair value. I also think that Luongo and Schneider could both benefit from this arrangement (hey it worked for Fuhr and Moog). You don't progress by accepting lesser value for an asset. Of course, all of this would need the cooperation of our 2 starting goalies.

Luongo is supposedly risk-free? He's got a monster of a contract so there is risk right out of the starting gate. Then you look at his playoff record and realize that every 3rd game that he plays, he gets blown out spectacularly. Which Luongo is going to show up in any given playoff game? Will it be the all star or the beer leaguer? Nobody knows. Risk goes both ways.

We already know it's a big risk. But Schneider has been tested over, and over, and over again and he has come through each time. If Schneider plays like he has been, he will be one of the best goalies in the league. Even if his numbers drop off a bit he will still be one of the best in the NHL. He's been developed properly and he has a good head on him. All the signs point to him being the real deal. It's a risk the Canucks have to take.

Cory will excell as our starter,. Do not worry.. Lou isn't exactly proven either in the NHL. At least when it comes to the playoffs. And really that's all that matters. I'm confident in cory when it comes to high pressure games,, not so much Lou.

What?

:picard:

Jennings Award winner

Hart, Vezina Candidate

All-star team (3x)

Olympic Gold Medal

300+ Wins (Second among active tenders, 17th All-time)

Almost 20,000 saves (2nd active, 8th All-time)

60 Shutouts (2nd active, 16th All-time)

Pretty sure thats about as 'proven in the NHL' as you can get

Edit: For the record i dont care which goalie we start next year, i have faith in both of them (slight edge to Cory).

Just cuz you want Luongo gone does not mean that he's automatically trash and it most certainly does not mean that he is not NHL proven

Edmonton is in need of a goalie. Dubnyk is not good. Luongo and one Dman and that team is set. (maybe two dmen)

I can see Luongo starting the season in Van and playing every second game, until a team realizes the goalie they have, just isn't going to get the job done. I don't see MG dealing Luongo until the price is right.

Edmonton is in need of a goalie. Dubnyk is not good. Luongo and one Dman and that team is set. (maybe two dmen)

I can see Luongo starting the season in Van and playing every second game, until a team realizes the goalie they have, just isn't going to get the job done. I don't see MG dealing Luongo until the price is right.

Shnides proved one thing to me...he's human...I saw this when he let that softie over his shoulder in Game 5 that sent us packing in OT~! In part Hammy was also to blame.

He cheated and got caught, even though Sami had King Playoff proven...we'll see

For God's sakes, he's proven in the playoffs too. So he hasn't won a Cup. I guess that means a slew of other top goalies in this league aren't proven in the playoffs. Luongo has had some terrible games in the playoffs but that still doesn't mean he's not proven.

Cam Ward, Marc-Andre Fleury, and Jonathon Quick had short unproven track records and did just fine.

Throw Michael Leighton and Antii Niemi in there too, but they were more on a hot streak than anything.

A good goalie is a good goalie, Schneider is one of teh most technically sound goalies in the NHL and has a very good head on his shoulders - he'll be fine.

why do the canucks have to trade one of the best goalies in the NHL????

oh yea thats right are dumb fans listen too the even dumber media

Luongo will be the best goalie the canucks ever had

:picard: i hope we dont go back to the goalie graveyard days

I'm not hating on schneider, he has potential but Luuu is proven... He is the reason why we are an elite team

What about Bryzgalov? Remember he was backing up Giguere in Anaheim a fews years back. What about Rinne? Remember when he was backing up Vokoun in Nashville? There's a lot more but a goalie can't prove that he's a starter if not given the chance. We'll see how this works out for Van.

Archived