The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(ARTICLE) Beware of the Unproven Goalie

shawn antoski

why do the canucks have to trade one of the best goalies in the NHL????

oh yea thats right are dumb fans listen too the even dumber media

Luongo will be the best goalie the canucks ever had

:picard: i hope we dont go back to the goalie graveyard days

I'm not hating on schneider, he has potential but Luuu is proven... He is the reason why we are an elite team

I'll tell you right now that Cory's different, i can tell he has nerves of steel, intestinal fortitude and lots of smarts. He'll be in Vancouver for a long time, and if they don't win the cup with him, i would venture to guess it probably won't be his fault.

I still stand behind my thought that we won't have a chance at a cup if we trade Lu. Now is not the time to take a chance with a guy who has never played a full season. Sure, he could excel at it, but it's not worth the risk.

I still stand behind my thought that we won't have a chance at a cup if we trade Lu. Now is not the time to take a chance with a guy who has never played a full season. Sure, he could excel at it, but it's not worth the risk.

Of course Cory Schneider has better numbers than Luongo.

If you look up and down the roster almost everyone had a dip in production this year. Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Burrows, Raymond just to name a few. Why should Luongo be any different? Look for Luongo to bounce back this season. Look for Vancouver to wallow in regret.

Of course Cory Schneider has better numbers than Luongo.

If you look up and down the roster almost everyone had a dip in production this year. Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Burrows, Raymond just to name a few. Why should Luongo be any different? Look for Luongo to bounce back this season. Look for Vancouver to wallow in regret.

There is no doubt that there is a bit of a risk going with Schneider. It is possible he will not be able to withstand the rigors of a full season and will end up losing confidence and eventually ability.

But from everything I've seen, he's rock-solid in his head. It seems like nothing shakes this guy and I think that will really work in his favour if he starts to falter. And as far as raw ability is concerned, I'm pretty confident that he has the talent level to meet or exceed the ability of Luongo.

Add to that the fact that it was unrealistic to carry 10m of salary with two goalies as well as being unrealistic to expect Luongo *not* to be #1. Plus the fact Schneider makes less money, and isn't signed to a contract which will see him walking with a cane in it's last year.

Finally, we certainly know what we had with Luongo... a player who put up excellent numbers every single season, and average numbers every single playoffs. And to me, *that* is the deciding factor of why we should (and did) go with Schneider over Luongo.

There is no doubt that there is a bit of a risk going with Schneider. It is possible he will not be able to withstand the rigors of a full season and will end up losing confidence and eventually ability.

But from everything I've seen, he's rock-solid in his head. It seems like nothing shakes this guy and I think that will really work in his favour if he starts to falter. And as far as raw ability is concerned, I'm pretty confident that he has the talent level to meet or exceed the ability of Luongo.[i disagree on that part. I think Luongo is a special breed of goalie, right up there with Joseph, Brodeur, and Roy. Schneider may come close, but I don't think he'll reach legendary status as the ones mentioned above.]

Add to that the fact that it was unrealistic to carry 10m of salary with two goalies as well as being unrealistic to expect Luongo *not* to be #1. [i think that it's not too unrealistic to carry the salary up until the deadline, I think both goalies are mature enough to see what management is trying to do.] Plus the fact Schneider makes less money, and isn't signed to a contract which will see him walking with a cane in it's last year. [Luongo won't be, it's been discussed.]

Finally, we certainly know what we had with Luongo... a player who put up excellent numbers every single season, and average numbers every single playoffs. And to me, *that* is the deciding factor of why we should (and did) go with Schneider over Luongo.

This is a Luongo/Schneider thread where logical facts and information goes to die, the article exacerbates this problem. If you presume that I intend to waste my time explaining why the facts in the article are garbage when I have already done so a million times over in a hundred different threads, you are mistaken.

Seems to me you are a part of the group who likes to confront anyone who has anything positive to say about Lu's competition. I am not a "Schneider Lover" or "Luongo Lover" at all. I just happen to watch a lot of hockey and in my opinion, Schneider is a great goalie. Notice I don't say anything negative about Lu. I suggest you crawl back under your rock until someone tries bashing Lu, then you can actually say something credible instead of trying to ambush someone who just happens to like a talented goaltender.

I don't like considering myself to be anti-Schneider either. I've never said anything bad about Schneider or Lu, check my posting history. It's just that there are so many thoughtless posts bashing either, that sometimes I feel compelled to fix it. Granted, I don't see you around often, so I don't know your stance on the issue, but there are countless other posters who post posts such as the one I responded to just for the sake of hating.

Fair enough. I know those you speak of and I did not check your posting history for clarification.

To clarify my position, we have two great goalies. IMO one of them will be moved before the regular season begins. Articles like the one posted in the OP are fishing for hits, and offer no interesting or new insight into this scenario which has been beaten to death.

Even if both Louongo and Schnieder are elite, good, mediocre it doesn't matter. They could win a cup with either, The issue is what is out in front of them. There is something missing that would allow them to take it to the next level, I can't put my finger on it but there is something missing.

I don't really think that he should be given the starter role. I think he's still unproven enough, over and over and over? Really? The two years of back up experience is so much for him to handle. Look at Rask.

I do think he can do lots for us, but Luongo has lots left.

Luongo sucks in the playoffs and he's not getting any better. How do you figure we can win a cup with him playing in our net? What has he shown you to suggest that he can get it done? Granted, he has had some very good playoff games but he's had just as many terrible and embarrasing ones.

Really? I'm guessing you haven't been watching hockey that long otherwise you would know he was way better in 2011 and 2012 than he was in 2009 and 2010. And we could definitely win the cup with Lu in net. Just think, if the team could have actually played a good game in Boston, Lu would have won the Conn Smythe.

And I saw no decline in his game last year. So there's no reason to believe he will all of the sudden not be an elite goalie.

Archived