The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(ARTICLE) Beware of the Unproven Goalie

shawn antoski

Fair enough. I know those you speak of and I did not check your posting history for clarification.

To clarify my position, we have two great goalies. IMO one of them will be moved before the regular season begins. Articles like the one posted in the OP are fishing for hits, and offer no interesting or new insight into this scenario which has been beaten to death.

Because we don't need 2 goalies making #1 goalie salaries. Schneider did not sign his deal to sit on the bench as a backup or to just play 25 games or so. 10 million or so is far too much to tie up in goal tending alone. As far as I see Lack is ready to step up and play back up at roughly 900 grand.

That's funny because when Luongo gets shelled for a few goals with the D in front of him, Schneider comes in and shuts the door with the exact same D.

Face it Schneider is the way to go. He is younger, his positioning is far better, and his lateral movement is far superior than Luongo's since his groin injury.

Vancouver media is a joke. Lou was an amazing goalie who has proven his worth yet he's ousted for the prospect of a possible winner. Really though Schnider will be great it's just a shame to see a gold medalist two time presidents trophy winning goalie get the shaft. I hope Lou goes to a team in the hunt and sticks it to gillis with a brilliant performance this year .... if there is hockey.

Schnider will be great until our beloved Media gets a hold of him !

I agree with you on most points, but I believe that unless a lockout occurs, both goalies will remain here until the deadline at the latest, albeit with significantly reduced playing time for Lu. I believe it is Schneider's time due to his age, and the amounts of GP he'll get will reflect that, but management will not be willing to trade Lu until an enticing offer comes up. I think all GM's in the league knows that Vancouver holds the cards, and the ball is in their court.

I agree with your last point though, there's a lot of fishing for points and blindly ignoring others going on on both sides, but what can we do.

Fair enough. I know those you speak of and I did not check your posting history for clarification.

To clarify my position, we have two great goalies. IMO one of them will be moved before the regular season begins. Articles like the one posted in the OP are fishing for hits, and offer no interesting or new insight into this scenario which has been beaten to death.

why do the canucks have to trade one of the best goalies in the NHL????

oh yea thats right are dumb fans listen too the even dumber media

Luongo will be the best goalie the canucks ever had

:picard: i hope we dont go back to the goalie graveyard days

I'm not hating on schneider, he has potential but Luuu is proven... He is the reason why we are an elite team

If you knew anything about the technical side of goaltending you might change your position, but, and a big BUT...its obvious by your stance, and limited experience that you don;t !!! Schneider had better stats and success playing in front of the same team Lou played for , but most of you doubters have excuses for that. None of it washes. Schneider has better numbers because, whether you believe it, or recognize the fact, hes a much better goalie(read technician) and worthy of starting for the Canucks. You can want him to start, but manegement has decided Schneiders the guy, Trust them !!

Adding more exclamation points adds no value. He might have had a better statistical 64+ games, but a goalie with unknown tendencies usually has a great few years. Look at what happened to Raycroft, gets an award first year and now he's in a Spanish league or SEL or something. And more games, will have more chances to have a worse percentage, as I say happened to Luongo. Schnieder has only one win in the playoffs, which is where we want to win. Luongo has won one game at least every year, in past 4 except this year, which is because of the L.A. Kings going 16 -2? I believe?

I'm not saying that will happen to Schnieder, but they haven't decided he's the guy unless you have any information that they didn't release. They just decided that he's worth being signed to a 3 year extension. Yes, he can play more games now, so Luongo can also play less games. He can be traded still.

If Luongo is traded this team will not be a contender. Schneider is nowhere near a world-class goalie yet and it's a big gamble to just expect a 2-year backup to jump into stardom based on 56 games of experience.

MG would be naive to select Schneider over Luongo, but if this does happen the only way he can truly rectify this idiotic move is to acquire some solid assets for Luongo, so much so that they fill the hole in our success that Schneider will create because mark my words, if Schneider is our full-time starter next season we will not win a Cup.

Archived