The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Drew Doughty escapes serious charges.

"Falsely accused"? The article states very clearly in the first sentence :

That doesn't mean it didn't happen, it just means they didn't have enough evidence to charge him and get a conviction. Nowhere have the authorities involved said the girl lied or fabricated anything.

Some of the comments in this thread are just plain, flat out, disgusting.

There could two scenarios - this was true and the girl got scared of moving forward (unlikely). Or she's a gold digging opportunistic loser who thought she could cash in on a false accusation.

If it's the latter, it's absolutely disgusting and is damaging and discrediting to those who really do experience the debilitating act of rape. Women have a hard time coming forward after a rape for reasons of being judged and challenged so those who use the claim of rape as a means for financial gain should not get away with it.

In a situation where two people are intimately engaged, some have a playful way of saying "no" that doesn't make it clear. It's important that females take charge in that situation and push the guy away from them and say NO. End the session, period, if it's going in a direction that you're not prepared for and the guy is being persistent. Some would be angry at that statement as it directs the attention to the female and suggests she's done something wrong in the case of rape. Regressive perhaps, but I'm not convinced that some females don't ignore signs long before the act itself and don't take charge/responsibility because they're playing along. They're not to blame if it progresses to rape, but I'm only suggesting perhaps they should act on their instincts and cut things off at the first signs of things going beyond what they're prepared for. Obviously, many situations of rape don't allow for that and those aren't the ones I'm referring to...but the movie The Accused comes to mind...a really fine line to dance on. Really hard to put into words for me, but owning your body is an important message and it starts long before the act of rape....doesn't ever give anyone the right to proceed, but don't let them cruise through the yellow, without slowing things down with caution.

Not really coming out the way I want to say it, but I believe always in the big picture and looking at that. So complex...

Rape victims are never "to blame"....let's just set that straight. But to strongly draw that line with consistency instead of teetering on it is also important, despite the fact that some/many don't think so. Again, just being honest and this is NOT to say that anyone "asks" for it.

That doesn't mean it didn't happen, it just means they didn't have enough evidence to charge him and get a conviction. Nowhere have the authorities involved said the girl lied or fabricated anything.

Please. They said there were "credibility issues" with the complainant. That's pretty clear wording. There was no evidence or report of violence. It was just "against her will" somehow. Rape is never the victim's fault, but this appears like a money grab.

Agreed ^^

No offense to any lady who will read this but.... She turns him down in front of everyone in the bar but then decides to get in a cab with him to her house and then she claims rape ? She clearly new his intentions if he propositioned her in front of a few teammates openly and then she willingly goes home with him ? In now way shape or form do I think (if the allegations are true) Doughty is innocent or condone any such vile act, but neither is she for being completely ignorant. This girl was asking for trouble hangin' with scum like Doughty. If he was a descent guy maybe his teammates wouldn't have told the Police he propositioned her in front of them ?

All the people speculating on the validity of this alleged act really need to wake up and realize you have no clue and will never have a clue as to what really happened.

There will always be three sides to every story. Yours, mine and the actual truth.

While I question the woman's complaints based on the fact the police and DA did not find her to be credible, what you are saying is taking things too far.

You discuss the importance of not speculating, yet you provide this little scenario of what you think played out (i.e. she new his intentions before going home with him, etc). First, we don't know this. Second, a woman, or anyone for that matter, always has the right to change their mind. A person may be aware of another person's intentions, and may even reciprocate their intentions. However, as soon as one party changes their mind, the other party must respect that.

Comments like "the girl was asking for trouble" are uneducated and perpetuate ridiculous rape myths that should have died years and years and years ago.

Are people really this illiterate ? Read the article where it clearly states he propositioned her in front of his team mates ! No speculation here just what was told to the public by the police. She clearly new his intentions from the get go. Yes she was asking for trouble hanging around rowdy drunk filthy rich athletes who can basically buy their way out of almost any situation. Yes anyone can change their mind at anytime, but be prepared for the other party to maybe not be as understanding or willing to hear the word NO. Especially a drunken male with bags of money in his pockets.

Archived