The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Simplest Yet One of the Toughest Math Questions I've Seen

*Friend brought this up today and I found it pretty intriguing, tricky, and difficult. So I thought I'd ask cdc on what they think of it.*

Alright, here's a tough math related question if you think about it and take what I say leading up to it into consideration; here you all go, have fun:

• In math, if there's a uniform pattern, it'll continue on and you can guess the upcoming sequence/series by predicting from the pattern seen before it.

Example: 2, 4, 6, 8, _ = 10

It is an approved math law and one that is used by scientists and mathematicians globallly to do work - they often times simply see and use a pattern to figure something out that they are working on.

• Moving on with that ( ^ ), here is my question to you with that specific law applied to it.

It is considered that 1/1 = 1, but here's something that questions if it really is 1 or not.

1/3 = 0.3333...

2/3 = 0.6666...

Now, using the law of sequences and series, moving forward, seeing and utilizing the pattern seen above, this is what the next blank should be:

3/3 = 0.9999...

If 3/3 = 1/1, shouldn't that mean that 1/1 technically = 0.9999... ?

I'm not saying 1/1 = 0.9999..., but what evidence can there be to prove this wrong cause this is evidence that 3/3 is/can be = 0.9999...

*Friend brought this up today and I found it pretty intriguing, tricky, and difficult. So I thought I'd ask cdc on what they think of it.*

Alright, here's a tough math related question if you think about it and take what I say leading up to it into consideration; here you all go, have fun:

• In math, if there's a uniform pattern, it'll continue on and you can guess the upcoming sequence/series by predicting from the pattern seen before it.

It is an approved math law and one that is used by scientists and mathematicians globallly to do work - they often times simply see and use a pattern to figure something out that they are working on.

• Moving on with that ( ^ ), here is my question to you with that specific law applied to it.

It is considered that 1/1 = 1, but here's something that questions if it really is 1 or not.

1/3 = 0.3333...

2/3 = 0.6666...

Now, using the law of sequences and series, moving forward, seeing and utilizing the pattern seen above, this is what the next blank should be:

3/3 = 0.9999...

I'm not saying 1/1 = 0.9999..., but what evidence can there be to prove this wrong cause this is evidence that 3/3 is/can be = 0.9999...

1/3 = 0.3333...

2/3 = 0.6666...

3/3 = 0.9999...

Just say you shoot an arrow at a target. When it travels to its target, it has to go half way, then half of rest of the way, then half of the rest of the way, then half of the rest of the way... and so on, forever. This formula shows that the arrow will never be able to get to the target, which is why 1=0.9999...

Just say you shoot an arrow at a target. When it travels to its target, it has to go half way, then half of rest of the way, then half of the rest of the way, then half of the rest of the way... and so on, forever. This formula shows that the arrow will never be able to get to the target, which is why 1=0.9999...

It's already been said, but there are 2 glaring errors here:

1/3 = 0.3333...

2/3 = 0.6666...

3/3 = 0.9999...

Archived