Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 15 votes

Big name players never signing with the Canucks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
208 replies to this topic

#1 Schneider.Man604

Schneider.Man604

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

Why is it that big name players never sign in Vancouver? Now don't bring up Sundin and Messier because Sundin was pretty much done his career although he did help our team, he clearly came for the huge offer MG gave him, and Messier.... lets just stop there because just hearing his name pisses me off. The only one I can think of is Luongo.

I have noticed alot of star players when free agents, never choose Vancouver as the team they want to go to even when its been known that Canucks have put out offers for them. It's always Detroit, NYR, Pitsburgh, Philly etc. I can understand if some American big names choose not to sign in Vancouver because they would much rather play for an American city but even the Canadian players do this.

I know the players should do whatever is best for their families, but come on, I'm sure Vancouver has offered big numbers for players in the past but we just cant ever reel them in. Now this could be for a number of reasons but that is the point of this thread, what do you all think is the reason Vancouver never picks up big names.

Do players look down upon the Canucks? (diving, whining, etc) I know its exagerated but people even players believe the stupid media.

Do players not like the Canucks management? Gillis is known to be very straight forward with his
decisions and tells players what he actually wants to do which they may not agree with (shultz) i know hes not a big name but still.

Is it because we are the most hated team in the league and other players would hate playing with Kesler, Burrows, Lappy, Bieksa?

All I know is if I was a big name Canadian player I would want to bring that cup back home to the great white north ASAP and which Canadian team has the best chance to do that right now? yes thats right THE VANCOUVER CANUCKS. It has been an amazing last two years knowing how good our team has become and we can proudly say we are one of the best teams in the league, I just wish some players would see that and stop going to stupid pointless American markets and win it all for a city that truly wants that cup. Thanks for reading.

#2 TheNoelPatrol

TheNoelPatrol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

Canucks were frontrunners to get Gretzky in the mid 90's before he signed with New York. kthxbai

QUOTE (diesel_3 @ Aug 28 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well..any way you slice it....Mike Gillis just pimp-slapped the Western Conference.

#3 Gaunce

Gaunce

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

Hamhuis?
Posted Image

#4 billabong

billabong

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

Posted Image

#5 Dave Bolland

Dave Bolland

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,276 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

Hamhuis?

Now, ask yourself, "Is Hamhuis a big name player?". If you're answer is yes, then I don't know what to say.

vykJJ.jpgk5COD.jpgxd8CQ.jpg

#6 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,637 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

Canucks were frontrunners to get Gretzky in the mid 90's before he signed with New York. kthxbai

He still didn't sign here LOL
Posted Image

#7 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

who cares we dont want those cowards anyway
Posted Image

#8 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

big name players usually don't go on the FA market. If they do, they have to choose 1 out of 30 teams. Some simple logic would do you good op.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 Schneider.Man604

Schneider.Man604

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

who cares we dont want those cowards anyway

What cowards :S

#10 Helmer

Helmer

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

Because it's much easier to win the cup on such an american team...for 19 years now...

-----------------------------------------------------------
Berlin Polar Bears for NHL Europe Division

#11 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

NHLers don't respect Vancouver because Vancouver won't even fight for themselves, heard it many times and from current NHL players. The smart ones know that most of the hate is bull**hit and comes from jealousy. Guys like LaPierre have made us despised, no response to our stars cheapshotted caught the attention of many of the players in the league. Bitchmade, whose to blame ? the players ? management for not stocking the roster with an animal ?
I'm hoping BC boys come home, Shea Weber, thats you.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#12 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

we almost got scott Nidemayer but we choose to sign Naslund over him? am I correct?

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#13 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,637 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

we almost got scott Nidemayer but we choose to sign Naslund over him? am I correct?

Apparently it was because we didn't want to take Rob as well. :picard:
Posted Image

#14 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,814 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

I've wondered about this sometimes as well, especially when you start hearing about UFA's getting lobbied by players from other teams, and wonder who on our team might be the one to call for our team to lobby a UFA. I don't think Burrows has made many friends over the years. Same thing for Kes. The twins are stars but their buddies seem to be the Swedes on other teams. Other than maybe Lui, not sure who else.

The other thing that's obvious is that we seem to have more luck with UFA's that are BC boys wanting to come back home. Otherwise the teams you mentioned seem to be the same ones always involved. Not sure what the reason. The travel schedule has to have a negative effect on the player decision. Or it could be our high provincial taxes and the fishbowl media market.

4X5ed5z.gif

Credit to Tony Zamboni for the sig.

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#15 Nas19

Nas19

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

We don't need big name players. We already have the Sedin twins (two of the best players in the league), Burrows (the best agitator in the league IMO), Kesler (a Selke trophy winner and one of the best 2 way players in the game), and 2 elite goalies in Lu (although Lu will be gone soon) and Schneids. We don't need big name players. We need role players that can help down the stretch. The only time it would be concerning that the big name players weren't signing with us is if we were in the same situation Edmonton was a few years ago. They didn't have anyone and had the likes of Heatley refusing to play there.

As of right now it doesn't matter that big name players don't want to sign with us. We have plenty of big name players already. In the future, however, if this continues then we could be in some trouble.

Edited by Nas19, 18 July 2012 - 06:51 PM.

#16 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

Man are u a nerd or something? did u not read my post, " simle logic would do u good op" ha ha ha alright buddy dont u have a star wars convention to go to or something?

the point of the thread was asking why these big name players never come to Vancouver I dont even know why I called u a nerd you cant even understand a damn discussion.

Posted Image

2dgqi51.jpgfcvifc.jpg
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 and Discord for the signatures.

#17 captain_kirk1

captain_kirk1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

Luongo, Mitchell, Hamhuis...these are guys any team would love.

Why do we NEED to have a big name player..and how do you categorize that?

LETS SIGN ALL THE BEST UFAS IN THE WORLD!!! Doesn't always work out the way you'd like it OP.

Back in the day it had to do with $$...New York could just buy players like they were candy.

Salary Cap era...we aren't willing to overpay people. We look to have players take discounts etc for the benefit of the team.

I don't need a Kovulchuck on my team with $100 million plus blah blah blah..

#18 meh_wassup

meh_wassup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

agree with the op to some extent. It's been way too long since a Canadian team has paraded lord Stanley in the streets of its city. Have you looked at Nash's 6 preferred destination: NYR, SJS, Philly, Bruins, Red Wings... I can't believe the lack of patriotism that players show. In the NBA absolutely NOBODY wants to play for the Raptors cause it's not an American city. Most of the big name players we have are drafted by the canucks (the Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows (yes I know he's undrafted), and Schneids), but UFA's do usually choose another destination. All I know is, Canada needs a Stanley Cup and in the time being Vancouver is its best bet.

Edited by meh_wassup, 18 July 2012 - 07:01 PM.

Charlotte-McKinney-21-155x160.jpg

#19 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

What cowards :S

you , you coward

fight me
Posted Image

#20 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

Man are u a nerd or something? did u not read my post, " simle logic would do u good op" ha ha ha alright buddy dont u have a star wars convention to go to or something?

the point of the thread was asking why these big name players never come to Vancouver I dont even know why I called u a nerd you cant even understand a damn discussion.

thread was cool till your inner douche came out
Posted Image

#21 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

translation =
Posted Image

#22 Silfverberg Snipes

Silfverberg Snipes

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Sorry bud. We may have our share of idiots on CDC, but at least they can spell. Go get an education and then maybe we can start taking your opinion a little more seriously.

Edited by The Apathetic Fan, 18 July 2012 - 07:15 PM.

Sig too big. 

#23 Foo202

Foo202

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

This may have more to do with location and history over anything else.

Teams like Phi, Pits and NYR have easier road trip scheduled since they can practically sleep in there own beds on road trips within there division, within there conference there only a couple of hours from the eastern canadian teams and the southern american team, a few of the western teams are in there time zone and any trips they need to make to the west coast are done all at one.

Teams like Montreal and Detroit have that historical factor and players may just want to be part of those franchises history.

There is also the situation with our fanbase where we put players under the microscope and some players (like Nash) just dont want that

And finally, if a player is just going out there to cash in as a free agent, you need to look at how each individual province or state classifies there income tax, I dont know where BC ranks out of everywhere there is an NHL market but I do know Arizona is the lowest when it come to this

#24 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,156 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

Why is it that big name players never sign in Vancouver? Now don't bring up Sundin and Messier because Sundin was pretty much done his career although he did help our team, he clearly came for the huge offer MG gave him, and Messier.... lets just stop there because just hearing his name pisses me off. The only one I can think of is Luongo.

I have noticed alot of star players when free agents, never choose Vancouver as the team they want to go to even when its been known that Canucks have put out offers for them. It's always Detroit, NYR, Pitsburgh, Philly etc. I can understand if some American big names choose not to sign in Vancouver because they would much rather play for an American city but even the Canadian players do this.

I know the players should do whatever is best for their families, but come on, I'm sure Vancouver has offered big numbers for players in the past but we just cant ever reel them in. Now this could be for a number of reasons but that is the point of this thread, what do you all think is the reason Vancouver never picks up big names.

Do players look down upon the Canucks? (diving, whining, etc) I know its exagerated but people even players believe the stupid media.

Do players not like the Canucks management? Gillis is known to be very straight forward with his
decisions and tells players what he actually wants to do which they may not agree with (shultz) i know hes not a big name but still.

Is it because we are the most hated team in the league and other players would hate playing with Kesler, Burrows, Lappy, Bieksa?

All I know is if I was a big name Canadian player I would want to bring that cup back home to the great white north ASAP and which Canadian team has the best chance to do that right now? yes thats right THE VANCOUVER CANUCKS. It has been an amazing last two years knowing how good our team has become and we can proudly say we are one of the best teams in the league, I just wish some players would see that and stop going to stupid pointless American markets and win it all for a city that truly wants that cup. Thanks for reading.

Luongo didn't "sign" here, he was acquired in a trade.

Like them or not, Sundin and Messier were "big names" - and an argument against signing big names, so why complain?

I am more than happy with Hamhuis and Garrison as big FA signings - and a few 'small' names like Burrows, Tanev and Eddie Lack are serving just fine.

Regardless - you never know... another big one may still land here, and this one may be worthwhile.

Edited by oldnews, 18 July 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#25 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#26 logic

logic

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

Judging by your grammar, you're probably 12 or you didn't go to school.

bijp77.jpg

Credit to VC

#27 Drakrami

Drakrami

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

What's wrong with you man..

1st of all why are you starting a post when you obviously can't take criticism?

Next is, the guy who replied to your post makes way more sense than you.

#28 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

Most teams don't land a whole bunch of premier UFAs. The fact the Canucks got Lu, Sundin and Messier within the same decade is decent enough for me, not amazing, but decent. You can't just discount Messier because it upsets you to hear his name.

What big name UFAs has Detroit signed? Their top players over the last few years have been: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Kronwall and Franzen. None of them were UFAs.

Same with Pittsburgh over the last few years: Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang, Fleury. Their big name FA of Paul Martin was nothing to shake a stick at.

Same with Philly. Key players over the last few years: Richards, Carter, Hartnell, Giroux, Carle... (the only meanginful UFA I can think of was Pronger).

The only meaningful UFA I can think of from the Rangers is Richards.

EDIT: and Gaborik.

Edited by Down by the River, 18 July 2012 - 07:21 PM.

Shiznak at his best: 

Considering their cap hit and age, I'd still take Bonino over Kesler. 

#29 Trade Deadline

Trade Deadline

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

Okay guys, its clear that if we dont massively overpay and sign the biggest free agents for 10+ years we are entirely screwed.

Should have signed Gomez, he was the "big name player" not long ago.. :rolleyes:

Edited by Canucks92, 18 July 2012 - 07:16 PM.

Posted Image

#30 Silfverberg Snipes

Silfverberg Snipes

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

I believe this thread has now been hijacked, for I don't think Schneider.Man604 is going to show his face after the replies he's been getting...

Damn somebody needs to make a Schneider/Spiderman thread hijack meme.

Sig too big. 

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.