Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Schneider.Man604

Big name players never signing with the Canucks

209 posts in this topic

Most teams don't land a whole bunch of premier UFAs. The fact the Canucks got Lu, Sundin and Messier within the same decade is decent enough for me, not amazing, but decent. You can't just discount Messier because it upsets you to hear his name.

What big name UFAs has Detroit signed? Their top players over the last few years have been: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Kronwall and Franzen. None of them were UFAs.

Same with Pittsburgh over the last few years: Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang, Fleury. Their big name FA of Paul Martin was nothing to shake a stick at.

Same with Philly. Key players over the last few years: Richards, Carter, Hartnell, Giroux, Carle... (the only meanginful UFA I can think of was Pronger).

The only meaningful UFA I can think of from the Rangers is Richards.

EDIT: and Gaborik.

Everyone here loves the Canucks, so they assume that every single player in the league is lining up to play here. All MG has to do is make an OK offer and we can have any player we want. But in real life, players look at it from a more unbiased point of view (except for hometown guys like Hamhuis or Garrison). To them there are a lot of choices with a wide range of pros and cons for each one. And it's not always just about how good the team is. There are lots of non-hockey factors like money, family, weather, things to do, and friends that play on certain teams. The same things anyone considers when they get a job. Even if you go just by chance, the majority of big names just aren't going to sign with the Canucks.

Also, OP saying Messier and Sundin don't count because Sundin is getting old and he doesn't like Messier is ridiculous. They are big names whether you like it or not.

Big name players never sign with Vancouver. Except for the ones that do.

Big name players never sign with Vancouver. Except for the ones that do.

I think the biggest name they could sign would be Pierre Luc Letourneau Leblond. Now that's a big name.

bottom line is big name players want to play for a winner. if they don't they're not worth signing.

this franchise has built a 42 year tradition of losing when it matters most. no big name is going to want any part of that.

We've traded away guys that ended up being big name players, Neely comes to mind...

We also could have had Kopitar but we took Bourdon (RIP) unfortunately we will never know how good Bourdon would have ended up being

bottom line is big name players want to play for a winner. if they don't they're not worth signing.

this franchise has built a 42 year tradition of losing when it matters most. no big name is going to want any part of that.

Pretty much. It reminds me of the Edmonton writer that called out the Canucks for not having as many Canadians on their team as San Jose. He started by subtracting Luongo because "He's from Montreal and that doesn't count"

One can create a set of rules to make any opinion a fact. Names have signed here, but saying "they don't count" doesn't suddenly make ones opinion correct.

we almost got scott Nidemayer but we choose to sign Naslund over him? am I correct?

Here's a question for you guys. If you're moving and have no allegiance to a team and you're going to get a huge salary, would you sign with a competitive team in Canada where the taxes are higher or with a competitive team in the US where an extra million or more of that huge salary is going to wind up in your pocket? Not to mention that added anonymity you'd have in a US city. It's why so many high profile UFA's choose US teams over Canadian teams.

Here's a question for you guys. If you're moving and have no allegiance to a team and you're going to get a huge salary, would you sign with a competitive team in Canada where the taxes are higher or with a competitive team in the US where an extra million or more of that huge salary is going to wind up in your pocket? Not to mention that added anonymity you'd have in a US city. It's why so many high profile UFA's choose US teams over Canadian teams.

Whoa epic cat fight going on here!!

No star players want to put their ego in check and play on the 2nd line, first line or nothing oopps, already occupied ok I go sign with the next best team.

Ding ding ding. And that is EXACTLY the problem with going the Detroit model. Detroits problem is that they ARE getting too old, and they don't have the prospects that they need to dominate as they have in the past. Same thing in a couple of years that Vancouver will most likely go through.

And for the record, I will say that the series against Boston and the series against LA were absolutely NOT exciting hockey series. They were awful. The Canucks were brutal. I don't know what you think was exciting about them...

Regular season success and post season failure is still a failure of a season to me. It may not be to you, but thats your view.

And I wasn't even talking about exciting hockey, I was talking about an exciting culture of the team. And I am around enough NHLers to form an opinion that the Vancouver dressing room is one of the last places numerous players want to be apart of.

Between the Canucks and the teams these star players sign with, there are 28 other teams that never signed that player. You want a team no one wants to sign with? Columbus.

Because we don't want them at the price tag they're asking?

Let me ask you this, what do you figure the ratio is between "Big-name player" UFA's who are overpaid and those who are not?

I'm going to guess the ratio is a little too high.

i.e. - Ryan Suter, $7.5 Million for THIRTEEN YEARS? Worth more than Drew Doughty? No thanks, not without Shea Weber right beside him.

Just one example out of dozens.

Let me just ask you this - if MATT CARLE gets $5.5 Million, are too many GM's paying too much to sign UFA's?

I'll let you answer that question yourself.

Variables holding back signing with Vancouver:

-"Sedin" salary cap.

-AV favourite, Kesler, will always play ahead of you.

-AV favourite, Bieksa, will always play more minutes than you.

-Raymond will play more than anyone.

-AV will throw you under the bus for underperforming when injured, unless if your name ends with Sedin, Kesler, or Bieksa.

-If you're under 25, forget about it.

Regular season success and post season failure is still a failure of a season to me. It may not be to you, but thats your view.

And I wasn't even talking about exciting hockey, I was talking about an exciting culture of the team. And I am around enough NHLers to form an opinion that the Vancouver dressing room is one of the last places numerous players want to be apart of.

1. As someone (below) stated, name dropping doesn't impress anyone or prove anything here. Unless you tell us your name is ____________ and you are the coach/owner/support staff of _________________, it really doesn't. If it includes being a bartender in a bar that players frequent, hotel staff, etc. - you may not get the real/entire scoop from hearsay, rumours, snippets of conversations or casual discussion. People you get your information from may hold some cards close to their chest - as professional athletes often/usually do. Plus, with the number of players IN the NHL, how do you get a good cross section or know that you've covered an overall opinion vs a small segment? I'm not convinced you can...

2. Anyone who does "know" (their hockey) also factors in the fact that, come playoffs, some teams have deficiencies due to injury, suspension, etc. and it isn't a reflection of the team, itself - more, just circumstances beyond their control. No one can fully protect against injury. Yes - good/solid teams will have made provision for that but when you're losing some of your key/top guys - you never bring things up to the same level as if you had them in the lineup. So when looking at regular season success/post season "failures" - it isn't always a problem with a team as much as just plain bad luck. And, timing - goaltenders who get hot/cold often are a key factor in a playoff win/loss.

Plus, the inconsistency in reffing did contribute to a negative series (in others as well, not just ours) and influenced the outcome in some situations - not much a lineup change can do with that. No whining/excuses - just how it is and I'm not sure that you can do much about that. I feel the Canucks made adjustments to try to avoid the ref's attention/eye but, at times, it wasn't enough.

I'd like to hear the inside scoop you have on "why" players don't want to play here. Could you provide that?.....

Because, a team that somehow manages, through a grueling schedule, to come atop all other teams is doing something right. AND should be a fairly attractive destination when considering the accommodations.

From what I can gather, this is a fairly tightknit group...they've gone through a lot together and it's become a brotherhood in many respects. And it speaks volumes that some of the NHL's top names want to stay here, at a discount...if it's a crappy destination/organization, that doesn't happen.