The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big name players never signing with the Canucks

Schneider.Man604

Too much pressure in our market.... too media heavy and the fans eat our stars alive if they struggle for a shift. None of these guys want to sign up for that. You don't see a lot of big names signing in Montreal or Toronto mid-career either... Prolly rather get paid to play somewhere where it's warm all year and they can walk through the mall without being harassed.

Your kind of a dick op.. Shouldn't get so testy over someone not liking your posts.. The real question is do we really need these big name players? Usually they get grossly overpaid and I for one am glad we kept our homegrown talent ( sedins, kesler) and didn't pursue gaborick and hossa. The NHL is all about scouting, drafting and developing your own big name players and then added complementary pieces thru free agency or trades..

Along with the reasons listed above, some consideration is likely given to a brutal travel schedule as well. I don't buy into this bad reputation BS...what team doesn't have players that come with some sort of rep whether it be dirty players, divers, etc.

I just don't know that opportunity has been there in a move that makes sense...those big name players have over inflated numbers attached to them. You don't just grab a player based on the fact that he's a superstar...it has to make sense with regard to current needs and "fit". Plus, yeah - 30 teams all usually vying for the same few players means the most desperate of teams are usually willing to overpay. Not sure the Canucks fit that bill.

Maybe if we were great in drafting and always stocked with crazy, good talent players would want to sign here?

Or maybe if our fans quit having a panic attack every time another team signs a free agent.

Toronto is supposed to be the centre of the universe, but they never get big names to sign there either.

Why is it that big name players never sign in Vancouver? Now don't bring up Sundin and Messier because Sundin was pretty much done his career although he did help our team, he clearly came for the huge offer MG gave him, and Messier.... lets just stop there because just hearing his name pisses me off. The only one I can think of is Luongo.

And, if you look at it from this angle, players reject 29 teams every time they sign. I'm not sure that it's about "not" picking the Canucks in a glaring, conscientious decision or focus. I'm convinced it's not....

I think most of it probably has to do with geography, considering we travel more then any team in the league. Also maybe something that gets over-looked is maybe taxes? Everyone knows we get taxed up the ass here and most of the American markets tax way less and your paycheck is bigger.

But sometimes I do wonder if management has something to do with it? Maybe they're not very well liked, for example what Samuelsson said. For a guy like Justin Schultz to turn down the Canucks and choose the Oilers, I mean c'mon. Especially considering his whole family is a Canucks fan including himself. I mean why would you not want to play for the team you grew up cheering for?

Why is it that big name players never sign in Vancouver? Now don't bring up Sundin and Messier because Sundin was pretty much done his career although he did help our team, he clearly came for the huge offer MG gave him, and Messier.... lets just stop there because just hearing his name pisses me off. The only one I can think of is Luongo.

I have noticed alot of star players when free agents, never choose Vancouver as the team they want to go to even when its been known that Canucks have put out offers for them. It's always Detroit, NYR, Pitsburgh, Philly etc. I can understand if some American big names choose not to sign in Vancouver because they would much rather play for an American city but even the Canadian players do this.

I know the players should do whatever is best for their families, but come on, I'm sure Vancouver has offered big numbers for players in the past but we just cant ever reel them in. Now this could be for a number of reasons but that is the point of this thread, what do you all think is the reason Vancouver never picks up big names.

Do players look down upon the Canucks? (diving, whining, etc) I know its exagerated but people even players believe the stupid media.

Do players not like the Canucks management? Gillis is known to be very straight forward with his

decisions and tells players what he actually wants to do which they may not agree with (shultz) i know hes not a big name but still.

Is it because we are the most hated team in the league and other players would hate playing with Kesler, Burrows, Lappy, Bieksa?

All I know is if I was a big name Canadian player I would want to bring that cup back home to the great white north ASAP and which Canadian team has the best chance to do that right now? yes thats right THE VANCOUVER CANUCKS. It has been an amazing last two years knowing how good our team has become and we can proudly say we are one of the best teams in the league, I just wish some players would see that and stop going to stupid pointless American markets and win it all for a city that truly wants that cup. Thanks for reading.

id much rather have character players then the overpaid "star" players teams seem too throw money at on free agency. Also i believe you are wrong sir.... the reason we havnt gone after any star players in free agency is because we dont need any. We have our first line set and its been that way for easily the last 10 years

Markus Naslund was the top UFA when the Canucks resigned him for the 05/06 season.

The Sedins were set to become UFA's a few years back, but CHOSE to resign here.

Luongo did the same.

The Canucks have been very successful resigning their UFA's which is WAY more important than bringing in overpaid "big player" UFA's from other teams.

How many of these "big players" actually pan out?

id much rather have character players then the overpaid "star" players teams seem too throw money at on free agency. Also i believe you are wrong sir.... the reason we havnt gone after any star players in free agency is because we dont need any. We have our first line set and its been that way for easily the last 10 years

Archived