The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big name players never signing with the Canucks

Schneider.Man604

Theres 30 teams. Purely statistically, you've got a 1 in 30 chance of landing a big name free agent. Now think how few superstar free agents are really out there. Only 2 this year and they both signed with the same team. So you've probably got 28 other teams besides us (or 97% of the league total) complaining about the same thing.

Man are u a nerd or something? did u not read my post, " simle logic would do u good op" ha ha ha alright buddy dont u have a star wars convention to go to or something?

the point of the thread was asking why these big name players never come to Vancouver I dont even know why I called u a nerd you cant even understand a damn discussion.

They were drafted here. That's not what we're talking about. This thread, I think, is only referring to mid-career FA's that we've not landed.... Brad Richards, Zach Parise, Ryan Suter, etc, to name a few from the last couple seasons.

Man are u a nerd or something? did u not read my post, " simle logic would do u good op" ha ha ha alright buddy dont u have a star wars convention to go to or something?

the point of the thread was asking why these big name players never come to Vancouver I dont even know why I called u a nerd you cant even understand a damn discussion.

But the Sedins have played their entire careers out here. They are loyal to this club. We are talking about Free Agents who have made it clear they want to go to a Cup Contender OTHER than their own team, but completely overlooked the Canucks.

The reason why they don't sign with us is really a simple concept. We have a really good team already and we ask the FA's to sign with us at a discount to be apart of a Stanley cup team (we are number one and we really don't technically need them). And let's face it,most FA's are FA's because they want a pay raise.

Boils down to crazy contracts in my opinion. Every big name ufa gets a ridiculous amount of money. Canucks can't usually afford it, nor do they ever want to pay somebody more than a sedin or bikesa.

I dont know of I agree with the Canucks managements theory on the ladder, but it's what they do anyway. They can't honestly expect many more players to take a discount to play here. Salaries inflate every year, along with the cap. Not paying anyone anything more than the sedins that resigned 2 years ago gets more and more comical with each passing year.

As much as every ufa says they "want to win", they really just want the cash. Which is exactly what I would do as well. If anything, they might pick the best team from the pool that offered the most amount of money.

Luongo, Mitchell, Hamhuis...these are guys any team would love.

Why do we NEED to have a big name player..and how do you categorize that?

LETS SIGN ALL THE BEST UFAS IN THE WORLD!!! Doesn't always work out the way you'd like it OP.

Back in the day it had to do with $$...New York could just buy players like they were candy.

Salary Cap era...we aren't willing to overpay people. We look to have players take discounts etc for the benefit of the team.

I don't need a Kovulchuck on my team with $100 million plus blah blah blah..

The reason why they don't sign with us is really a simple concept. We have a really good team already and we ask the FA's to sign with us at a discount to be apart of a Stanley cup team (we are number one and we really don't technically need them). And let's face it,most FA's are FA's because they want a pay raise.

Archived