The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big name players never signing with the Canucks

Schneider.Man604

I dont think its the city i think the players have somthing to do with it but most importantly in my opinion is that your gm has to go out and make an offer lol i never here the canucks are in on this trade or the canucks offered this gillis is watching teams getting better infront of us and will make a stupid trade with florida and fill in the gaps gillis is not aggresive and makes me pissed seeing as our window is shrinking and teams getting better should be enough of a reason for gillis to pull the trigger on a deal

Fans incredibly negative treatment of players also plays into decisions, I'm sure.

Two examples of this: The cry babies over Booth bear hunting.

And then the morons that criticize Luongo day in, day out. The same morons that booed him. The same morons that insult him and demand him to be traded. Biased to the max.

Criticism comes with the job, sure, but what professional wants to put up with that garbage? I wouldn't.

Players sign where they want to sign,if they have the freedom and talent to be able to do so.

I commend Gillis for not signing any more lavish deals as the Luo and original Sundin contract examples can be damaging to the club's welfare.

The nonesense has to stop.The owners can't help themselves so the GM's have to be the last line of defense in matters of owner stupidity.

Hamhuis signing here was exactly the type of signing we want.The guy is dedicated,hard working and excellent at this position.

He wanted to come here and he put larger contracts aside to sign here.

Garrison is a bit of an unknown but can also fit into that category.

If a guy doesn't really want to play here we don't want him.

You typically have to overpay to get big names. We overpaid both Messier and Sundin. Like it or not they were high profile UFA's when they signed here.

Reasons top players may not choose Vancouver over US teams:

- Taxes: Income tax is lower on high incomes in the US than Canada

- Travel: We all know quite well the drawbacks on NHL travel from Vancouver.

- Market: Even in a good US hockey market players aren't hounded like they are in Canada by media and fans.

- Money: Not every player goes for the gold. But the US teams tend to be the ones that back the money truck up to the high profile UFA's.

What I have to say touches on what Baggins was saying. Considering Gillis' signing practices (hometown discount being paramount), we tend to only sign the players who really want to be here and aren't necessarily interested in hitting a windfall. I am happy to see that Gillis has learned from the past and now would much rather sign nobody than sign a player who is seeking nothing more than a payday.

OP, the only reason people were picking at you was because you did it first. You attempted to make someone else look dumb, and in doing that you did it to yourself.

For the sake of the argument, I agree with most of the posts on here. It's not really as if they don't want to come to Vancouver, since they also skipped 28 other teams.

Also Gillis doesn't want to throw huge money and have that be the reason they sign here. He wants guys to show commitment. He wants them to take a discount, and by doing that he knows what kind of person they are and how much they want to be on a contending team to win the Cup.

Hamhuis wanted to come here and have his chance for a ring. Garrison lives downtown and went through the Cup run a couple years ago as a fan, and not a player. He signed here for cheaper than other teams would have so he can be a part of the experience on this team.

It's different for a lot of players. Some people don't like all the attention. Vancouver media goes crazy over hockey, and many don't like the huge spotlight.

Archived