The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big name players never signing with the Canucks

Schneider.Man604

I would consider the Sedins big name players. We didn't get them via free agency but nonetheless we still kept them.

The same could be said of Naslund, Jovo, Bertuzzi (when all were in their prime and during WCE days)

Maybe, just maybe our team would rather lower paid players that are worth the money that getting someone like Weber for an overpriced $7M. I mean do we really need a player making $1M every 10 games for doing only a bit more (if not sometimes less) than other players on the team?

Why is it that big name players never sign in Vancouver? Now don't bring up Sundin and Messier because Sundin was pretty much done his career although he did help our team, he clearly came for the huge offer MG gave him, and Messier.... lets just stop there because just hearing his name pisses me off. The only one I can think of is Luongo.

I have noticed alot of star players when free agents, never choose Vancouver as the team they want to go to even when its been known that Canucks have put out offers for them. It's always Detroit, NYR, Pitsburgh, Philly etc. I can understand if some American big names choose not to sign in Vancouver because they would much rather play for an American city but even the Canadian players do this.

I know the players should do whatever is best for their families, but come on, I'm sure Vancouver has offered big numbers for players in the past but we just cant ever reel them in. Now this could be for a number of reasons but that is the point of this thread, what do you all think is the reason Vancouver never picks up big names.

Do players look down upon the Canucks? (diving, whining, etc) I know its exagerated but people even players believe the stupid media.

Do players not like the Canucks management? Gillis is known to be very straight forward with his

decisions and tells players what he actually wants to do which they may not agree with (shultz) i know hes not a big name but still.

Is it because we are the most hated team in the league and other players would hate playing with Kesler, Burrows, Lappy, Bieksa?

All I know is if I was a big name Canadian player I would want to bring that cup back home to the great white north ASAP and which Canadian team has the best chance to do that right now? yes thats right THE VANCOUVER CANUCKS. It has been an amazing last two years knowing how good our team has become and we can proudly say we are one of the best teams in the league, I just wish some players would see that and stop going to stupid pointless American markets and win it all for a city that truly wants that cup. Thanks for reading.

I'd like to know which "big name" free agents the Canucks have missed out on...

Yes, we're in on Shane Doan, but we're up against the stiffest competition with his current team. The only reason he's even exploring free agency is the ownership uncertainty in Phoenix. If that doesn't get settled, I'd consider Vancouver a front-runner.

We missed out on Shultz because Edmonton could guaratee him playing time that we couldn't.

Other than those two, I can't think of someone that we "missed out" on. Were we in on Parise and Suter? Not that I'm aware of. Richards? Gabby? Nash? Nope. nope and nope.

We were in on Hammer and even though you may not consider him a "big name", he did take less to come to Vancouver.

Nothing to see here...

"moneypuck"...just like moneyball.....principles are the same...start crunching numbers MG....big name= big stupid contracts like webers...moneypuck= depth and much better than big names

we don't seem to factor taxes into the discussion. You get taxed a lot higher in Canada than u do in the states. I would have thought Weber would play here, but Philly made a smart Bold move. They said screw u Nashville ur trade demands are too high, here the ball is in your court now match it if you want. I do not see us as a destination you go to unless you want to play at home. Its not about overpaying, its not about super term, its about winning, do you want to help win a cup to a city that desperately needs one. I commend Hamhuis and Garrison for leaving money on the table to come home and try and win a cup with their home town team. I do not fault Weber or other stars from going elsewhere though

OP, we resigned some big names in Luongo, the Sedins and Kesler. Whether or not you think Sundin and Messier were past their prime they were still significant signings. Your post just sounds like the drivel of a whiny child. Why, why , why won't people sign in Vancouver??? Boo-hoo.

(quote edited for brevity)

You really think players would hate playing with them? I'd bet most would rather play with them than against them.

As for the general idea that "big name" players will never sign here, I think people forget some already have. Luongo. Kesler. I'd even add Bieksa (who put up only 5 fewer points than Weber in the same number of games last season) and Edler (who put up the same number of points as Weber last season with only 4 additional games). And Schneider is well on his way to becoming a "big name." Even without haven been an official starter he caused a major buzz with just the remote possibility that he might become available.

And let's not forget Hank and Daniel.They may have become "big names" while playing here and they've shown no indication they want to go anywhere else, but if they did most teams in the league would be frantically tossing over the couch cushions looking for every spare penny of cap space to try to get one of both of them.

The problem is that people seem to want "big name" players they don't already have like some people want designer labels. Just having name recognition doesn't necessarily mean you get a better product, only a more impressive label. The same is true of hockey players. Just because someone is a "big name" doesn't necessarily mean they'll fit in better or contribute significantly more than any other player. Burrows is a perfect example. He still might not be thought of as a "big name" but how many players put up his numbers, play with the amount of heart he does, does whatever his team needs him to do, and only gets $2 million a year?

If we build a team of players who want to be here, who want to play for our team and with our existing players and not just "big names" who want to get the most money they can from anyone anywhere willing to overpay them, I'm good with that.

It's because MG has an internal cap of $6.1M (Sedins) for forwards and $4.6M (Bieksa) for defensemen.

In short, we are too cheap. And getting better defensemen would mean Bieksa would be on the 3rd pairing. AV won't stand for that.

Why is it that big name players never sign in Vancouver? Now don't bring up Sundin and Messier because Sundin was pretty much done his career although he did help our team, he clearly came for the huge offer MG gave him, and Messier.... lets just stop there because just hearing his name pisses me off. The only one I can think of is Luongo.

I have noticed alot of star players when free agents, never choose Vancouver as the team they want to go to even when its been known that Canucks have put out offers for them. It's always Detroit, NYR, Pitsburgh, Philly etc. I can understand if some American big names choose not to sign in Vancouver because they would much rather play for an American city but even the Canadian players do this.

I know the players should do whatever is best for their families, but come on, I'm sure Vancouver has offered big numbers for players in the past but we just cant ever reel them in. Now this could be for a number of reasons but that is the point of this thread, what do you all think is the reason Vancouver never picks up big names.

Do players look down upon the Canucks? (diving, whining, etc) I know its exagerated but people even players believe the stupid media.

Do players not like the Canucks management? Gillis is known to be very straight forward with his

decisions and tells players what he actually wants to do which they may not agree with (shultz) i know hes not a big name but still.

Is it because we are the most hated team in the league and other players would hate playing with Kesler, Burrows, Lappy, Bieksa?

All I know is if I was a big name Canadian player I would want to bring that cup back home to the great white north ASAP and which Canadian team has the best chance to do that right now? yes thats right THE VANCOUVER CANUCKS. It has been an amazing last two years knowing how good our team has become and we can proudly say we are one of the best teams in the league, I just wish some players would see that and stop going to stupid pointless American markets and win it all for a city that truly wants that cup. Thanks for reading.

We don't need big name players. We already have the Sedin twins (two of the best players in the league), Burrows (the best agitator in the league IMO), Kesler (a Selke trophy winner and one of the best 2 way players in the game), and 2 elite goalies in Lu (although Lu will be gone soon) and Schneids. We don't need big name players. We need role players that can help down the stretch. The only time it would be concerning that the big name players weren't signing with us is if we were in the same situation Edmonton was a few years ago. They didn't have anyone and had the likes of Heatley refusing to play there.

As of right now it doesn't matter that big name players don't want to sign with us. We have plenty of big name players already. In the future, however, if this continues then we could be in some trouble.

Ok but it would be good to get one or two over the course of 3 seasons, would it not?

The time when we should have gone after a couple of these players was after our Stanley Cup Final. Great teams improve when they are at the top.

We screwed up. We needed some good big pushback players and did nothing.

Sadly we don't look like SC contenders now...........we are not built for it imo.

Archived