The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big name players never signing with the Canucks

Schneider.Man604

Man are u a nerd or something? did u not read my post, " simle logic would do u good op" ha ha ha alright buddy dont u have a star wars convention to go to or something?

the point of the thread was asking why these big name players never come to Vancouver I dont even know why I called u a nerd you cant even understand a damn discussion.

Man are u a nerd or something? did u not read my post, " simle logic would do u good op" ha ha ha alright buddy dont u have a star wars convention to go to or something?

the point of the thread was asking why these big name players never come to Vancouver I dont even know why I called u a nerd you cant even understand a damn discussion.

This may have more to do with location and history over anything else.

Teams like Phi, Pits and NYR have easier road trip scheduled since they can practically sleep in there own beds on road trips within there division, within there conference there only a couple of hours from the eastern canadian teams and the southern american team, a few of the western teams are in there time zone and any trips they need to make to the west coast are done all at one.

Teams like Montreal and Detroit have that historical factor and players may just want to be part of those franchises history.

There is also the situation with our fanbase where we put players under the microscope and some players (like Nash) just dont want that

And finally, if a player is just going out there to cash in as a free agent, you need to look at how each individual province or state classifies there income tax, I dont know where BC ranks out of everywhere there is an NHL market but I do know Arizona is the lowest when it come to this

Why is it that big name players never sign in Vancouver? Now don't bring up Sundin and Messier because Sundin was pretty much done his career although he did help our team, he clearly came for the huge offer MG gave him, and Messier.... lets just stop there because just hearing his name pisses me off. The only one I can think of is Luongo.

I have noticed alot of star players when free agents, never choose Vancouver as the team they want to go to even when its been known that Canucks have put out offers for them. It's always Detroit, NYR, Pitsburgh, Philly etc. I can understand if some American big names choose not to sign in Vancouver because they would much rather play for an American city but even the Canadian players do this.

I know the players should do whatever is best for their families, but come on, I'm sure Vancouver has offered big numbers for players in the past but we just cant ever reel them in. Now this could be for a number of reasons but that is the point of this thread, what do you all think is the reason Vancouver never picks up big names.

Do players look down upon the Canucks? (diving, whining, etc) I know its exagerated but people even players believe the stupid media.

Do players not like the Canucks management? Gillis is known to be very straight forward with his

decisions and tells players what he actually wants to do which they may not agree with (shultz) i know hes not a big name but still.

Is it because we are the most hated team in the league and other players would hate playing with Kesler, Burrows, Lappy, Bieksa?

All I know is if I was a big name Canadian player I would want to bring that cup back home to the great white north ASAP and which Canadian team has the best chance to do that right now? yes thats right THE VANCOUVER CANUCKS. It has been an amazing last two years knowing how good our team has become and we can proudly say we are one of the best teams in the league, I just wish some players would see that and stop going to stupid pointless American markets and win it all for a city that truly wants that cup. Thanks for reading.

Why is it that big name players never sign in Vancouver? Now don't bring up Sundin and Messier because Sundin was pretty much done his career although he did help our team, he clearly came for the huge offer MG gave him, and Messier.... lets just stop there because just hearing his name pisses me off. The only one I can think of is Luongo.

The two biggest reasons are that taxes are much cheaper in the USA and most of their families are in the east. They also have a lot more chance of getting endorsement contracts from big companies.

Add in the fact that housing is a lot more affordable (especially now). They also don't have to travel like weatern team players do if they are in the east....less travel equals more family or leisure time.

I don't think that the whining and diving has anything to do with their decision. When they sign a contract, they are looking for security, dollars and a chance of winning. So, taking all of the above, if they have a choice of playing for a winning team in the east versus a winning team in the west and spending a lot of time at the airports, they sign in the east.

It is just a fact of life, that is why MG has been careful to sign players that really want to play here. Occasionally he gets it wrong and signs a player like Cody but for the most part, he has been pretty successful with that stategy.

Most of the big name free agents from last year re-signed with their original teams. When you are a good team, you do not need to run out and make a big splash in the UFA pool. When you re-sign the Sedins, Kesler, Luongo, bring in solid dmen, you don't need to go out and acquire a big name UFA because you already have those players on your team.

I have noticed alot of star players when free agents, never choose Vancouver as the team they want to go to even when its been known that Canucks have put out offers for them. It's always Detroit, NYR, Pitsburgh, Philly etc. I can understand if some American big names choose not to sign in Vancouver because they would much rather play for an American city but even the Canadian players do this.

I know the players should do whatever is best for their families, but come on, I'm sure Vancouver has offered big numbers for players in the past but we just cant ever reel them in. Now this could be for a number of reasons but that is the point of this thread, what do you all think is the reason Vancouver never picks up big names.

Do players look down upon the Canucks? (diving, whining, etc) I know its exagerated but people even players believe the stupid media.

Do players not like the Canucks management? Gillis is known to be very straight forward with his

decisions and tells players what he actually wants to do which they may not agree with (shultz) i know hes not a big name but still.

Is it because we are the most hated team in the league and other players would hate playing with Kesler, Burrows, Lappy, Bieksa?

All I know is if I was a big name Canadian player I would want to bring that cup back home to the great white north ASAP and which Canadian team has the best chance to do that right now? yes thats right THE VANCOUVER CANUCKS. It has been an amazing last two years knowing how good our team has become and we can proudly say we are one of the best teams in the league, I just wish some players would see that and stop going to stupid pointless American markets and win it all for a city that truly wants that cup. Thanks for reading.

Your kind of a dick op.. Shouldn't get so testy over someone not liking your posts.. The real question is do we really need these big name players? Usually they get grossly overpaid and I for one am glad we kept our homegrown talent ( sedins, kesler) and didn't pursue gaborick and hossa. The NHL is all about scouting, drafting and developing your own big name players and then added complementary pieces thru free agency or trades..

NHLers don't respect Vancouver because Vancouver won't even fight for themselves, heard it many times and from current NHL players. The smart ones know that most of the hate is bull**hit and comes from jealousy. Guys like LaPierre have made us despised, no response to our stars cheapshotted caught the attention of many of the players in the league. Bitchmade, whose to blame ? the players ? management for not stocking the roster with an animal ?

I'm hoping BC boys come home, Shea Weber, thats you.

Archived