Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 15 votes

Big name players never signing with the Canucks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
208 replies to this topic

#31 Boone Jenner

Boone Jenner

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

Man are u a nerd or something? did u not read my post, " simle logic would do u good op" ha ha ha alright buddy dont u have a star wars convention to go to or something?

the point of the thread was asking why these big name players never come to Vancouver I dont even know why I called u a nerd you cant even understand a damn discussion.

Beaking fail..

#32 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

The two biggest reasons are that taxes are much cheaper in the USA and most of their families are in the east. They also have a lot more chance of getting endorsement contracts from big companies.
Add in the fact that housing is a lot more affordable (especially now). They also don't have to travel like weatern team players do if they are in the east....less travel equals more family or leisure time.
I don't think that the whining and diving has anything to do with their decision. When they sign a contract, they are looking for security, dollars and a chance of winning. So, taking all of the above, if they have a choice of playing for a winning team in the east versus a winning team in the west and spending a lot of time at the airports, they sign in the east.
It is just a fact of life, that is why MG has been careful to sign players that really want to play here. Occasionally he gets it wrong and signs a player like Cody but for the most part, he has been pretty successful with that stategy.

#33 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,872 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

Most of the big name free agents from last year re-signed with their original teams. When you are a good team, you do not need to run out and make a big splash in the UFA pool. When you re-sign the Sedins, Kesler, Luongo, bring in solid dmen, you don't need to go out and acquire a big name UFA because you already have those players on your team.

Shiznak at his best: 

Considering their cap hit and age, I'd still take Bonino over Kesler. 

#34 Vancity_77

Vancity_77

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

Why is it that big name players never sign in Vancouver? Now don't bring up Sundin and Messier because Sundin was pretty much done his career although he did help our team, he clearly came for the huge offer MG gave him, and Messier.... lets just stop there because just hearing his name pisses me off. The only one I can think of is Luongo.

I have noticed alot of star players when free agents, never choose Vancouver as the team they want to go to even when its been known that Canucks have put out offers for them. It's always Detroit, NYR, Pitsburgh, Philly etc. I can understand if some American big names choose not to sign in Vancouver because they would much rather play for an American city but even the Canadian players do this.

I know the players should do whatever is best for their families, but come on, I'm sure Vancouver has offered big numbers for players in the past but we just cant ever reel them in. Now this could be for a number of reasons but that is the point of this thread, what do you all think is the reason Vancouver never picks up big names.

Do players look down upon the Canucks? (diving, whining, etc) I know its exagerated but people even players believe the stupid media.

Do players not like the Canucks management? Gillis is known to be very straight forward with his
decisions and tells players what he actually wants to do which they may not agree with (shultz) i know hes not a big name but still.

Is it because we are the most hated team in the league and other players would hate playing with Kesler, Burrows, Lappy, Bieksa?

All I know is if I was a big name Canadian player I would want to bring that cup back home to the great white north ASAP and which Canadian team has the best chance to do that right now? yes thats right THE VANCOUVER CANUCKS. It has been an amazing last two years knowing how good our team has become and we can proudly say we are one of the best teams in the league, I just wish some players would see that and stop going to stupid pointless American markets and win it all for a city that truly wants that cup. Thanks for reading.

That's just talk of a fan and not a professional, i boils down to...... Ice time, Money, What line to play on, Teammates, Coach, System, Ownership, Pressure from fans (on and off the ice) not in that order.
We are our own worst enemy!

#35 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

When was the last time a big name free agent helped the team who signed them win a Stanley Cup?

#36 JamesB

JamesB

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

big name players usually don't go on the FA market. If they do, they have to choose 1 out of 30 teams. Some simple logic would do you good op.

Finally a sensible comment. Most teams can say, correctly, that virtually all the big-name free agents sign somewhere else. This year, for example, exactly one team can say it signed big name free agents -- Minnesota. The other 29 teams did not. In fact, Garrison was one of the top five free agents out there and the Canucks did sign him.

Also, most free agents are overpaid in any case.

#37 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

thats not a sensible comment , thats a nerd comment

nerds
Posted Image

#38 AFrame14

AFrame14

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

Man are u a nerd or something? did u not read my post, " simle logic would do u good op" ha ha ha alright buddy dont u have a star wars convention to go to or something?

the point of the thread was asking why these big name players never come to Vancouver I dont even know why I called u a nerd you cant even understand a damn discussion.

Your kind of a dick op.. Shouldn't get so testy over someone not liking your posts.. The real question is do we really need these big name players? Usually they get grossly overpaid and I for one am glad we kept our homegrown talent ( sedins, kesler) and didn't pursue gaborick and hossa. The NHL is all about scouting, drafting and developing your own big name players and then added complementary pieces thru free agency or trades..
NUCKS FOR THE CUP

#39 Silfverberg Snipes

Silfverberg Snipes

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

Your kind of a dick op.. Shouldn't get so testy over someone not liking your posts.. The real question is do we really need these big name players? Usually they get grossly overpaid and I for one am glad we kept our homegrown talent ( sedins, kesler) and didn't pursue gaborick and hossa. The NHL is all about scouting, drafting and developing your own big name players and then added complementary pieces thru free agency or trades..

Man are u a nerd or something? dont u have a star wars convention to go to or something?

Sig too big. 

#40 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

NHLers don't respect Vancouver because Vancouver won't even fight for themselves, heard it many times and from current NHL players. The smart ones know that most of the hate is bull**hit and comes from jealousy. Guys like LaPierre have made us despised, no response to our stars cheapshotted caught the attention of many of the players in the league. Bitchmade, whose to blame ? the players ? management for not stocking the roster with an animal ?
I'm hoping BC boys come home, Shea Weber, thats you.

Dont forget guys like kesler and burrows

#41 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,872 posts

thats not a sensible comment , thats a nerd comment

nerds

I'm not a nerd clutch! Nerds are smart......

Posted Image

Edited by Down by the River, 18 July 2012 - 07:38 PM.

Shiznak at his best: 

Considering their cap hit and age, I'd still take Bonino over Kesler. 

#42 TheMalamute

TheMalamute

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

Too much pressure in our market.... too media heavy and the fans eat our stars alive if they struggle for a shift. None of these guys want to sign up for that. You don't see a lot of big names signing in Montreal or Toronto mid-career either... Prolly rather get paid to play somewhere where it's warm all year and they can walk through the mall without being harassed.

Posted Image

#43 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

:picard: slow news day...
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#44 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

Ya but canucks havent drafted good lately so that theory isnt valid right now. They might be on the right track with the last two picks.

Star wars convention lmao there no such thing

#45 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Homer Hall Of Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,281 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

Along with the reasons listed above, some consideration is likely given to a brutal travel schedule as well. I don't buy into this bad reputation BS...what team doesn't have players that come with some sort of rep whether it be dirty players, divers, etc.

I just don't know that opportunity has been there in a move that makes sense...those big name players have over inflated numbers attached to them. You don't just grab a player based on the fact that he's a superstar...it has to make sense with regard to current needs and "fit". Plus, yeah - 30 teams all usually vying for the same few players means the most desperate of teams are usually willing to overpay. Not sure the Canucks fit that bill.

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#46 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

Scott Gomez
Wade Redden
Jeff Finger

that's all, folks.

#47 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 28,353 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

Maybe if we were great in drafting and always stocked with crazy, good talent players would want to sign here?

Or maybe if our fans quit having a panic attack every time another team signs a free agent.

Toronto is supposed to be the centre of the universe, but they never get big names to sign there either.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#48 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

Ya but canucks havent drafted good lately so that theory isnt valid right now. They might be on the right track with the last two picks.

I beg to differ, Gonz.

http://www.starwarscelebration.com/

:towel: :canucks:

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#49 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

Why is it that big name players never sign in Vancouver? Now don't bring up Sundin and Messier because Sundin was pretty much done his career although he did help our team, he clearly came for the huge offer MG gave him, and Messier.... lets just stop there because just hearing his name pisses me off. The only one I can think of is Luongo.

Are you telling me that you don't think the Sedins are "big name players"? :picard: :picard:
I don't ride with the band, I roll with the team.

I've been a Canuck fan since 2004-05 when the team was going through a huge transition phase, missed the playoffs

#50 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

You really should do some research before commenting...

http://www.starwarscelebration.com/

http://www.starwars....ts/conventions/

http://www.501st.com/celebration/

http://conventionfan...ailable-online/

http://www.wtsp.com/...dates-announced

To link but a few.......

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#51 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Homer Hall Of Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 28,281 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

And, if you look at it from this angle, players reject 29 teams every time they sign. I'm not sure that it's about "not" picking the Canucks in a glaring, conscientious decision or focus. I'm convinced it's not....

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#52 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,586 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

We have 3 of the biggest names in the NHL signed to bargains. We're not going to overpay for lesser players because they have a "Big Name".

#53 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

I think most of it probably has to do with geography, considering we travel more then any team in the league. Also maybe something that gets over-looked is maybe taxes? Everyone knows we get taxed up the ass here and most of the American markets tax way less and your paycheck is bigger.

But sometimes I do wonder if management has something to do with it? Maybe they're not very well liked, for example what Samuelsson said. For a guy like Justin Schultz to turn down the Canucks and choose the Oilers, I mean c'mon. Especially considering his whole family is a Canucks fan including himself. I mean why would you not want to play for the team you grew up cheering for?

#54 dura_mater

dura_mater

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

I have noticed alot of star players when free agents, never choose Vancouver as the team they want to go to even when its been known that Canucks have put out offers for them. It's always Detroit, NYR, Pitsburgh, Philly etc. I can understand if some American big names choose not to sign in Vancouver because they would much rather play for an American city but even the Canadian players do this.

I know the players should do whatever is best for their families, but come on, I'm sure Vancouver has offered big numbers for players in the past but we just cant ever reel them in. Now this could be for a number of reasons but that is the point of this thread, what do you all think is the reason Vancouver never picks up big names.

Do players look down upon the Canucks? (diving, whining, etc) I know its exagerated but people even players believe the stupid media.

Do players not like the Canucks management? Gillis is known to be very straight forward with his
decisions and tells players what he actually wants to do which they may not agree with (shultz) i know hes not a big name but still.

Is it because we are the most hated team in the league and other players would hate playing with Kesler, Burrows, Lappy, Bieksa?

All I know is if I was a big name Canadian player I would want to bring that cup back home to the great white north ASAP and which Canadian team has the best chance to do that right now? yes thats right THE VANCOUVER CANUCKS. It has been an amazing last two years knowing how good our team has become and we can proudly say we are one of the best teams in the league, I just wish some players would see that and stop going to stupid pointless American markets and win it all for a city that truly wants that cup. Thanks for reading.

I didn't read your entire post... but based soley off the title, I think people exaggerate this WAY too much.

Let's look at the big name free agents this year:
Parise
Suter
Semin

Might include Doan

Jagr and Whitney - wouldn't include as big names at this stage in their career.

Let's look at the teams that signed all the big name free agents this year:
Minnesota

But for some reason none of the big name players want to come to Vancouver, even though 28 other teams missed out...

Apollo is not a real person but a post-bot built by the Aquilini's to create hype.

#55 nucklehead2

nucklehead2

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

id much rather have character players then the overpaid "star" players teams seem too throw money at on free agency. Also i believe you are wrong sir.... the reason we havnt gone after any star players in free agency is because we dont need any. We have our first line set and its been that way for easily the last 10 years

#56 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

Scott Gomez
Wade Redden
Jeff Finger

that's all, folks.

gotta love those big names, SO much for valuable than Danny "Almost An Olympian" Hamhuis :rolleyes:

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#57 thundernuts

thundernuts

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

Markus Naslund was the top UFA when the Canucks resigned him for the 05/06 season.
The Sedins were set to become UFA's a few years back, but CHOSE to resign here.
Luongo did the same.

The Canucks have been very successful resigning their UFA's which is WAY more important than bringing in overpaid "big player" UFA's from other teams.

How many of these "big players" actually pan out?

TRB-Thunder-Nuts-Logos.jpg

#58 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,741 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

Well looking at the franchise over the years most big name free agents want to go to a cup contender, for the most part the Canucks haven't been one. Pretty sure travel schedule plays a huge part as well.

qrak1x.jpg

#59 Schneider.Man604

Schneider.Man604

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

id much rather have character players then the overpaid "star" players teams seem too throw money at on free agency. Also i believe you are wrong sir.... the reason we havnt gone after any star players in free agency is because we dont need any. We have our first line set and its been that way for easily the last 10 years

Hey man, thank you. That was a nice reply. All the other haters always gotta post something negative trying to make fun of me or something thats why I get mad, MESSAGE TO YOU HATERS. This guy knows how to reply properly. Cheers bro.

#60 EV604

EV604

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

Vancouver is NOT a city where players would to end their careers at. Put yourself in their shoes, i would want to go to New York or LA.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.