Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 15 votes

Big name players never signing with the Canucks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
208 replies to this topic

#61 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Homer Hall Of Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,464 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

Vancouver is NOT a city where players would to end their careers at. Put yourself in their shoes, i would want to go to New York or LA.

Can you at least provide some reasons why?

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#62 Schneider.Man604

Schneider.Man604

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

Vancouver is NOT a city where players would to end their careers at. Put yourself in their shoes, i would want to go to New York or LA.

Sorry bud but i think we are the most beautiful city in the world.

#63 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

Unless you are in fact Charlie Sheen, why would you want to raise kids/family in LA (assuming that by the end of your career you have kids)?

As was perfectly clear this offseason, the two biggest UFAs did not choose a big name US city. Pitt, Detroit and Philly were all rumoured to be after both Suter and Parise, yet both ended up in luxurious Minnesota.

#64 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

I assume the angle you're coming from is that those types of players for the most part have made their money and don't need the headache of the fishbowl market so they go to a market where a. they can get lost in the crowd, or b. their wives can enjoy the shopping or the beaches.

Edited by MJDDawg, 18 July 2012 - 08:18 PM.

4X5ed5z.gif

Credit to Tony Zamboni for the sig.

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#65 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

Theres 30 teams. Purely statistically, you've got a 1 in 30 chance of landing a big name free agent. Now think how few superstar free agents are really out there. Only 2 this year and they both signed with the same team. So you've probably got 28 other teams besides us (or 97% of the league total) complaining about the same thing.

#66 Silfverberg Snipes

Silfverberg Snipes

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

Hey man, thank you. That was a nice reply. All the other haters always gotta post something negative trying to make fun of me or something thats why I get mad, MESSAGE TO YOU HATERS. This guy knows how to reply properly. Cheers bro.

Hypocrite. Why'd you PM me this then? Practice what you preach bruh.

awww cry me a river, man all I know is, I probably have a finer girl than u, probably have more money than u and know a lot more about hockey than u. When im online i dont really care about spelling much I type in slang, that doesn't mean I'm not educated buddy. My discussion was actually a good one but u, probably live at home with ur mom and have never had a girl friend probably have acne all over ur face hahahaha. Seriously man ur comment wasn't needed. I'm a nice guy, I just come on here to discuss hockey. I dont need you telling me to get an education. I dont come on here to get made fun of or to make fun of others, so dont f*** with me I didn't say anything to u.

Edited by The Apathetic Fan, 18 July 2012 - 08:24 PM.

Sig too big. 

#67 PONCHE

PONCHE

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

Man are u a nerd or something? did u not read my post, " simle logic would do u good op" ha ha ha alright buddy dont u have a star wars convention to go to or something?

the point of the thread was asking why these big name players never come to Vancouver I dont even know why I called u a nerd you cant even understand a damn discussion.

Hey man, thank you. That was a nice reply. All the other haters always gotta post something negative trying to make fun of me or something thats why I get mad, MESSAGE TO YOU HATERS. This guy knows how to reply properly. Cheers bro.

Grow up OP

Edited by PONCHE, 18 July 2012 - 08:29 PM.

Posted Image

#68 TheMalamute

TheMalamute

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

Are you telling me that you don't think the Sedins are "big name players"? :picard: :picard:

They were drafted here. That's not what we're talking about. This thread, I think, is only referring to mid-career FA's that we've not landed.... Brad Richards, Zach Parise, Ryan Suter, etc, to name a few from the last couple seasons.

Posted Image

#69 PONCHE

PONCHE

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

They were drafted here. That's not what we're talking about. This thread, I think, is only referring to mid-career FA's that we've not landed.... Brad Richards, Zach Parise, Ryan Suter, etc, to name a few from the last couple seasons.

Well they signed their last contracts after July 1st so......Technically.....

2009/07/01 Re-signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Vancouver Canucks to a five-year contract.

Edited by PONCHE, 18 July 2012 - 08:31 PM.

Posted Image

#70 cool story bro

cool story bro

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

Man are u a nerd or something? did u not read my post, " simle logic would do u good op" ha ha ha alright buddy dont u have a star wars convention to go to or something?

the point of the thread was asking why these big name players never come to Vancouver I dont even know why I called u a nerd you cant even understand a damn discussion.

Why do you even exist
Posted Image

#71 Silfverberg Snipes

Silfverberg Snipes

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

Well they signed their last contracts after July 1st so......Technically.....

But the Sedins have played their entire careers out here. They are loyal to this club. We are talking about Free Agents who have made it clear they want to go to a Cup Contender OTHER than their own team, but completely overlooked the Canucks.

Sig too big. 

#72 PONCHE

PONCHE

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

But the Sedins have played their entire careers out here. They are loyal to this club. We are talking about Free Agents who have made it clear they want to go to a Cup Contender OTHER than their own team, but completely overlooked the Canucks.

Completely agree, just pointing out the technicallity
Posted Image

#73 Grave

Grave

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

The reason why they don't sign with us is really a simple concept. We have a really good team already and we ask the FA's to sign with us at a discount to be apart of a Stanley cup team (we are number one and we really don't technically need them). And let's face it,most FA's are FA's because they want a pay raise.
2nd place is the 1st loser

#74 KFBR392

KFBR392

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

Boils down to crazy contracts in my opinion. Every big name ufa gets a ridiculous amount of money. Canucks can't usually afford it, nor do they ever want to pay somebody more than a sedin or bikesa.

I dont know of I agree with the Canucks managements theory on the ladder, but it's what they do anyway. They can't honestly expect many more players to take a discount to play here. Salaries inflate every year, along with the cap. Not paying anyone anything more than the sedins that resigned 2 years ago gets more and more comical with each passing year.

As much as every ufa says they "want to win", they really just want the cash. Which is exactly what I would do as well. If anything, they might pick the best team from the pool that offered the most amount of money.

#75 gouda

gouda

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

i would think the Sedin's are pretty big name players! Schnieder, just to name a few!

#76 DeltaSwede

DeltaSwede

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

I think Hamhuis and Garrison are quite big names and they were very sought after on the free agent market when they were signed.

Throwing too much money on players is never the way to go.

MMjJiLv.gif

Shinckarukak

#77 gragnanifan1

gragnanifan1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

Luongo, Mitchell, Hamhuis...these are guys any team would love.

Why do we NEED to have a big name player..and how do you categorize that?

LETS SIGN ALL THE BEST UFAS IN THE WORLD!!! Doesn't always work out the way you'd like it OP.

Back in the day it had to do with $$...New York could just buy players like they were candy.

Salary Cap era...we aren't willing to overpay people. We look to have players take discounts etc for the benefit of the team.

I don't need a Kovulchuck on my team with $100 million plus blah blah blah..

mitchell wasnt that good when we got him
got lu in a trade
u spelled kovalchuk wrong :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard:
Posted Image
credit goes to allons-y
Posted Image NHL 13 GM Connected -GM of the Hurricanes http://forum.canucks...ed-league-xbox/

#78 JohnLocke

JohnLocke

Cnakcus Ruegalr

• Members
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

Lol?? What is this.. I don't even...

jack-shephard_79434_14.jpg?cache=1292832

#79 dura_mater

dura_mater

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

Hypocrite. Why'd you PM me this then? Practice what you preach bruh.

Owned.

Apollo is not a real person but a post-bot built by the Aquilini's to create hype.

You mean the ntcs that all got waived or the ntcs that led us to back to back president trophies and a Stanley Cup?

#80 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

The reason why they don't sign with us is really a simple concept. We have a really good team already and we ask the FA's to sign with us at a discount to be apart of a Stanley cup team (we are number one and we really don't technically need them). And let's face it,most FA's are FA's because they want a pay raise.

:picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard:
Posted Image

#81 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

you , you coward

fight me

Posted Image
Posted Image
im scared bros

Edited by cIutch, 18 July 2012 - 09:23 PM.

Posted Image

#82 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,947 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

Sorry bud but i think we are the most beautiful city in the world.

Then you definitely haven't traveled much, sure it's a nice city, but its far from the most beautiful city in the world.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 19 July 2012 - 12:43 AM.

qrak1x.jpg

#83 tas

tas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

for the same reason that big name free agents don't sign in any of the canadian cities, and possibly minnesota: they're the only cities in the league where the players get recognized out in public. when they say they want to "do whats best for their families," that means living in a city where their nice birthday restaurant dinner isn't interrupted by some inconsiderate 40 year old asking for the guy's signature on a napkin saying it's for his "daughter."

Edited by tas, 18 July 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#84 Silfverberg Snipes

Silfverberg Snipes

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

Posted Image
im scared bros

EDIT: NVM. Here's what he sent me. lol.

Attached Files

Edited by The Apathetic Fan, 18 July 2012 - 09:44 PM.

Sig too big. 

#85 tas

tas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

prt sc?

also ellipsis and question marks aren't interchangeable

#86 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80,987 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

Is Pavol Demitra a big name?

307mg00.jpg

#87 manudibango

manudibango

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

because the traveling??!!!!!!

#88 It's Bieksa's Fault

It's Bieksa's Fault

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

So... anyone have a list of big name free agents that recently (post lockout) signed with Detroit or Pittsburgh? Off the top of my head I can think of absolutely zero.

Also, Vancouver was one of Schultz's top teams (if he counts as a big FA), Doan is rumoured to be considering Vancouver as one of his top destinations if he doesn't re-sign with Phoenix, Sundin and the Mess are in fact big names, Gretzky was going to sign with Vancouver until a dumb phone call ruined the chance, Hamhuis is better than Suter, and the list goes on.

The reason people think Detroit and Pittsburgh is because the two are contenders, and their fanbase is pretty stupid and gullible, thinking they'll land all free agents. The fact of the matter is that they are the same as everyone else.

EDIT: I don't consider re-signing a player as landing a free agent, although it technically is.

Edited by It's Bieksa's Fault, 18 July 2012 - 10:03 PM.

#89 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

Mostly because we have a smart GM that would fall for a stupid contract that pays a single player 7.6 or more million dollars for 10 years or whatever (just an example)...because thats what they can get somewhere else. We have a GM that believes that one guy is not the team. So the "big name" players will sign in Minnisota, where they are desparate for some "life" but have no chance of winning the cup. Or they will want to play with players like Crosby and Malkin (umm who wouldnt). The Canucks are not the only team who cant get big name players....look at Washington? Other than Ovechkin, who was drafted by the team. They cant get big name players. Also, players think about all the travel that is involved with playing in Vancouver. I dont think it has much to do with the actual organization or the players on the team. I think ...its all about money, and those teams that you mentioned, are stupid enough o throw money at them...because they are desparate to get them. Thats why we will never get Weber. Why would he take a "hometown discount"? If he can go and play in Detroit (which is in my mind, falling apart...I mean the Wings havent made it passed the second round in what five years?? They lost Lidstrom and they are going to be losing Holstrom if they havent already. That and Detroit is an UGLY city to live in...why players want to live there is beyond me...Toronto cant get big name players either, we all know why that is.

Its so funny that some people on CDC thinks that all the free agents are against us, and there is a conspiracy blah blah blah. Really try being a city like Carolina? Columbus??

We are lucky here, we dont need a "big name" player to make us better...Shane Doan would be nice, but I would not be surprised if he goes elsewhere just because its all about money these days...Would you turn down a 8 million dollar a year contract thats guarenteed for 10 years?? I know I wouldnt...The dollar signs would make me forget where I am playing for 8 months of the year.

Ok, I am done my ramble.
Life is short, LIVE IT

#90 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

Hamhuis?

Lol Wow....I had to run to the john before I had an accident from laffin so hard....

Is this the same guy who helped get us bumped from the PO's lol

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.