The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

The last CBA had a clause that stated no one player can make more than 20% of the salary cap in the upcoming season, so how Dreger is coming up with that number is a mystery.

If Philly somehow can circumvent that and pay Weber that much in season 1, then something is terribly wrong with the system in place.

All I have to say is, WOW, Holmgren has the balls to make big moves. If NSH doesn't match, they just paved themselves a road out of the playoffs for the next couple of years. Philly is in a win/win situation, 4 low first rounders (26-30) for an elite franchise d-man, locked up for the rest of his career, either that or nothing happens at all.

Nashville has been dismantled in the last few weeks!!

After reaching contender status, they will be hard pressed to make the playoffs for the next few years if they don't match for Weber.

The owner may have no choice but to match because he will lose fans and revenue very quickly if he allows Weber to leave and ices a much lesser product next year. It's not like Nashville is a hockey hotbed and will support the team no matter how they play.

The Carter and Richard trade wasn't a bad one for Philly at all. The fact that they now have cup rings doesn't mean that they picked the team up and carried them single handedly to the cup... Just means the team they went to won. Secondly, Shea Weber is by far the best D man in the NHL and is easily worth 4 late first round picks. Plenty of late first round picks dont even make the NHL let alone become the best D man in the NHL... Holmgren is a fantastic GM and you are the joke lol.

tsn-twitter150_normal.jpgDarren Dreger@DarrenDreger

I'm trying to go back to bed. More info coming in. Philly, NYR, Detroit and San Jose were big players in Weber trade scenarios.

There we have it, Gillis had no intention of going after Weber... So in short, who cares. This contract will haunt whoever takes it on, especially after seeing that 26m period... blehh, he's not worth it.

You don't think Minnesota, Edmonton & Colorado bypass Vancouver in three years once the Sedins start losing a step (something they can ill afford to happen given their current shortcoming in that department)?

That's just within the division...

The last CBA had a clause that stated no one player can make more than 20% of the salary cap in the upcoming season, so how Dreger is coming up with that number is a mystery.

If Philly somehow can circumvent that and pay Weber that much in season 1, then something is terribly wrong with the system in place.

edit: forgot about bonuses, its late, thanks guys for reminding me

tsn-twitter150_normal.jpgDarren Dreger@DarrenDreger

I'm trying to go back to bed. More info coming in. Philly, NYR, Detroit and San Jose were big players in Weber trade scenarios.

There we have it, Gillis had no intention of going after Weber... So in short, who cares. This contract will haunt whoever takes it on, especially after seeing that 26m period... blehh, he's not worth it.

edit: forgot about bonuses, its late, thanks guys for reminding me

So - correct me if I'm wrong.

Can Nashville match and trade? Match the deal then trade to, say, Detroit? Or are they locked in for the year? And an offer sheet can't have a no-trade clause, can it?

Anyway...this is probably the last deal like this we'll see - at least if the owners are smart. This stuff has been show time and time again to be ridiculous. It started with Depietro, we're seeing it now with Luongo and Nash...I guarantee it'll happen with more of them.

I like Weber - woulda loved seeing him play in Van. But honestly -With the money Suter and Weber are getting - Nashville shoulda had the league on lockdown the last few years.

Archived