The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

FALSE

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2012/7/19/3168983/shea-weber-offer-sheet-philadelphia-flyers-cant-believe-youre-sleeping

However, this is misleading; the compensation for long deals is not based on cap hit, but on one-fifth of the total value of the contract. For a package of over $100 million, that means it would be treated as a $20 million/year offer, which is obviously in the top group and would cost the Flyers their first round pick in each of the next four years. Hopefully everyone involved realized this.

Do you want a Stanley Cup Gillis??? Clearly not.....Changes need to be made to this team but he just doesnt get it. He doesnt understand that if u want a STAR player in this league you have to PAY for it, and not try to get people at discounts.

First, Keep up? Where's the confirmation the compensation is 4 -1st rounders? There isn't any. Dreger has gone back an forth via twitter.

Second, you mean "to you that's B.S. logic". Technically, it was 3 - 1st rounders. Whether or not Grabner or Bernier had value, they were drafted in the 1st round which meant they ate a teams 1st round pick.

10.4 Draft Choice Compensation for Restricted Free Agents

Any Club that is entitled to but does not exercise its Right of First Refusal pursuant to Section 10.3 shall be entitled to obtain Draft Choice Compensation from the New Club. The number and quality of draft choices due to the Prior Club shall be based on the average annual value of the compensation contained in the Principal Terms (as defined in Section 10.3(e) hereof) of the New Club's Offer Sheet (determined by dividing such compensation by the lesser of the number of years of the Offer Sheet or five)

FALSE

http://www.broadstre...-youre-sleeping

However, this is misleading; the compensation for long deals is not based on cap hit, but on one-fifth of the total value of the contract. For a package of over $100 million, that means it would be treated as a $20 million/year offer, which is obviously in the top group and would cost the Flyers their first round pick in each of the next four years. Hopefully everyone involved realized this.

No, "in a way" it was 3 1sts. "Technically" it was 1 1st and 2 actual players.

You can call a player a first rounder if he was drafted there, fine. But don't make it sound like a 1st rounder that busted has the same value as a future 1st rounder. A lottery ticket that lost is still a lottery ticket, but I wouldn't pay a penny for one.

I agree. These types of contracts have been circumventing the cap for years. I totally side with the owners on their proposals. I don't see them getting everything they asked for but I believe at least these rediculous contracts will be a thing of the past in the new CBA.

Archived