The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

One thing I will say about Weber, having watched him from his days on the Rockets, is that he sure gets away with a lot of s**t. I was at a game when he smashed Phaneuf from behind and got a slap on the wrist.

He's had a few of those incidents over his career but I guess because he grows a huge bear beard people think he should just get away with it because he looks like a beast. Meanwhile those whose beards are scraggly, such as Lappy and Burrows, are dirty shifty little frenchies.

That really is the key to future drafting; focus in on beastly beards. If a kid is rocking a (insert stereotypical remark) stash at 11, draft his ass.

On a more serious note; how much did that tuna MG landed weigh? Some would say he lost the lost the derby. Not me.

No because he likely know through his negotiations that Nashville has an internal budget and there's not way they can afford that amount of salary.

They'll match it, but they won't be able to keep him. So basically he gets his big contract, and likely has a NTC that he'll be able to choose from a list of teams.

So exactly what I said - he wouldn't sign the deal unless he was either comfortable there or knew they couldn't deal with it. We're on the same page, I'm just open to the idea that if Nashville can keep him, Weber is fine taking the money and staying there.

What were the last 4 Canucks 1st round draft picks? Are any one of them going to be Shea Weber calibre? Dmen or forwards. The reality is a Weber comes around once in every 10 years. 4 first rounders are not going to get you a Shea Weber.

Where were Datsyuk and Zeterberg drafted?

paraphrasing: "weber was a 2nd round pick so why not wait for a hall of famer to appear before our eyes"

for every Weber and Lucic there's a lot of bums who come around. It's not what round you get drafted in, it's where you go. Weber was a once in a generation dman to go after. Philly or Nash, we lost him. We need him. Even if we win the cup, we shoulda gone for him. Even if we win the cup next season I will resent this move. He's a true franchise dman.

Nashville WILL match. We're talking about 4 LATE (26-30 range) first round picks. Nashville has the leverage here, IMO. Shea Weber can stay as a Predator for life or he can be traded a year later for a huge ransom.

All thanks to Philly for making a big move like that.

Archived