The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

I never said mayray or higgs are legit top six forwards. But where is the gaping hole you refer to?

Mayray, Higgs are both decent forwards who are perfectly able to play second line in the nhl. That doesn't mean we have a 'gaping hole'. Do we need an upgrade, yes.

No I think you need to go look at the kings second line scoring compared to ours.

I'm not saying we should not make moves with our forwards, but to not make the weber move because we need to fix a 'gaping hole' on our second line wing is ridiculous.

Yes, and none of the final four had a Weber like player. One of them was going to win the Cup no matter what. I would say that none of those teams have a better defence than us. The Kings caught us at a bad time, that was it.

Weber is the captain of his team, and he signs an offer sheet. Come to think of it, if I am Nashville, I might just let the guy walk.

Not impressed.

He was already over-rated. His best years were in Nashville.

Welcome to Philly, Mr. Bouwmeester v 2.0.

LA's offence isn't any better than ours either, but they beat us due to a significant injury to one of our elite player.

We are already a cup contender without Weber, and if we did add him, there's no doubt we would be the top team in the West and the one's to beat for the Cup. That's if we keep Luongo and everyone stays heathy.

Don't need Weber.

Kesler, Booth, Ballard and Raymond will all have better seasons.

Edler, Tanev, Kassian, Schroeder, Jensen, Connauton, Sauve - all improving.

Garrison is a stud addition who can consistently play 23 two-way minutes.

The Canucks just drafted two more centers.

Schneider...

If Doan signs here = alot of frightened teams in the NHL.

Another young center and/or right handed blueliner in a Luongo deal.

Very large window, open for a long time.

It was pretty damn obvious Weber didn;t want to play for Nashville since the beginning of this past season. The departure of Weber just made that an absolute certainty.

Weber made it obvious that he wants to play on a contender who is willing to spend. Nashville isn't that team. Nasville's a good team, but not great. They are a lot farther from being contenders than some people like to imagine.

You need to look at the history of first rounders to understand that his scenario is more likely.

But looking at them optimistically I'd say:

Kassian= second-third liner

Schroeder= third liner at best

Jensen= good first liner, all star

Gaunce= decent third liner

You'd rather have that then one of the top two or three defencemen in the league right now that could put us over the top for a cup?

Yes, they were better. And I'm not trying to play the excuse card, but Daniel out with his concussion and Kesler with a nagging injury that proved to make him rather useless offensive for months on end was deadly for our season. That is pretty much the equivalent of removing Brown and Richards from the Kings line up. Two players that spanked us fairly well in that round. Without them it's a completely different series.

But in reality all of this is just you pulling things out of thin air. Nobody can predict the career path of a player.

Kesler was also predicted to be a third line checker at best too. Gaunce has alot of similarities to Kesler and could wind up just as good for all we know.

Schroeder is not a third line player. He will either be a second line center or nothing. He'll silence his critics just like Hodgson did, and just like Grabner did. But hey, the more doubters the better. Just makes it funner for me when these guys succeed.

The key word is "could". Shea Weber could put us over the top, but he could also be one of the worst cap crippling contracts we ever got. Since there's no guarantee he would lead to us getting a cup, the risk is too great. We could end up giving away 4 really good young players for a player that may only have 4 or 5 years of elite hockey left.

Kopitar, Richards, Carter, Williams, Brown, Penner

Vs

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Booth, Kesler, Higgins

I dunno, that top 6 looks more built for the playoffs then ours. We're still one top player away from matching that.

Making the trade for Weber would make it so we can't upgrade our forwards and therefore don't make it far in the playoffs. So yea I would say there is a gaping hole if it's our biggest need.

Archived