The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

You need to look at the history of first rounders to understand that his scenario is more likely.

But looking at them optimistically I'd say:

Kassian= second-third liner

Schroeder= third liner at best

Jensen= good first liner, all star

Gaunce= decent third liner

You'd rather have that then one of the top two or three defencemen in the league right now that could put us over the top for a cup?

It's interesting to read everyone's different value of 1st round draft picks. To some they are worth trading for proven talent, and to others they are Wonka golden tickets. I think it's easy to say that 4 (late) 1st round picks are worth the cost of a current superstar because draft picks generally don't show their worth for about 5 years.

I had a quick grab of near side-by-side late 1st round picks from years 2003-06. What if Nashville lucked out and drafted the 2013-16 versions of Perry, Green, Downie, and Berglund? Of course, it could turn out the opposite. You just never know with draft picks, even as high as 1st rounders. The argument can never really be settled until years down the road.

EDIT: ACK! Sorry for the rotten cut and paste.

Anaheim

Corey Perry

R

London Knights [OHL]

St. Louis

Shawn Belle

D

Tri-City Americans [WHL]

Washington

Mike Green

D

Saskatoon Blades [WHL]

Tampa Bay

Andy Rogers

D

Calgary Hitmen [WHL]

Philadelphia

Steve Downie

R

Windsor Spitfires [OHL]

Tampa Bay

Vladimir Mihalik

D

Presov (Slovakia-2)

St. Louis

Patrik Berglund

C

Vasteras IK [swe-1]

Dallas

Ivan Vishnevskiy

D

Rouyn-Noranda Huskies [QMJHL]

Iginla

Elias

Perry

Getzlaf

Alfredsson

Ribeiro

Hartnell

Morrow

Horton

Roy

Clowe

Weiss

Filppula

Cleary

Clarkson

Brouwer

Now I'm not saying that they'll all make it to UFA, but realistically I can see the following testing the UFA market.

Iginla

Perry

Getzlaf

Ribeiro

Morrow

Clowe

Weiss

Clarkson

Brouwer

All of which would be great additions to this team; and all of which are a heck of a lot younger than Doan

Do you honestly think Anaheim lets Perry and Getzlaf walk for nothing? I say they re-sign in Anaheim.

And IMO Iginla will retire a Flame.

The other players aren't any better than Doan, and a couple of them will probably command at least 5 million (RIbeiro 32, and Weiss 29, Clowe 29)

Doan's grit and leadership ability makes him better than those 3 players.

I would have to disagree. Our offence 5 on 5 is worse than LA. We couldn't score against LA, we couldn't score against Nashville, we couldn't score against the Bruins. Our problem is our top 6 can't score when faced against a big physical team.

Given that we're probably going to dump Luongo for a respectable return (we should, and we should get that). Doan making 6 million as you suggested, a cap hit of that is only slightly more than Luongo's. It's not like we're desperate for cap relief here. There is always the possibility of shipping out Ballard and freeing up that extra four million plus. Doan is still the logical choice to me. Of course the only deterring factor here is the gong show in Phoenix.

Two of those series we had significant injuries in our top 6, and the other series was agaist a stingy defensive team.

We have been the highest scoring team in these two past seasons, scoring isn't a problem.

And don't give me that weak, "we play in a weak division, that's why we score a lot of goals." argument. We scored more than 4 goals against Nashville, Phoenix, Washington, Detroit, Toronto, Philadelphia, and Boston,

Really? That's a completely different discussion now.

I'm saying that we don't have a 'gaping hole' at forward like you do. That top six can win a cup next yr. Higgs is not a 'gaping hole' on our second line wing.

I'd rather upgrade the right side of our D with Weber who is an all star and who many consider one of the top D in the league.

In addition, signing Web would not have precluded us from trading for a forward upgrade.

Two of those series we had significant injuries in our top 6 prior to facing them, and the other series was against a stingy defensive team.

We have been the highest scoring team in these two past seasons, scoring isn't a problem.

And don't give me that weak, "we play in a weak division, that's why we score a lot of goals." argument. We scored more than 4 goals against Nashville, Phoenix, Washington, Detroit, Toronto, Philadelphia, and Boston,

But in reality all of this is just you pulling things out of thin air. Nobody can predict the career path of a player.

Kesler was also predicted to be a third line checker at best too. Gaunce has alot of similarities to Kesler and could wind up just as good for all we know.

Schroeder is not a third line player. He will either be a second line center or nothing. He'll silence his critics just like Hodgson did, and just like Grabner did. But hey, the more doubters the better. Just makes it funner for me when these guys succeed.

The key word is "could". Shea Weber could put us over the top, but he could also be one of the worst cap crippling contracts we ever got. Since there's no guarantee he would lead to us getting a cup, the risk is too great. We could end up giving away 4 really good young players for a player that may only have 4 or 5 years of elite hockey left.

Grabner sure silenced me with his outstanding 32 points in 78 games last season getting 13 minutes a game. Heck Raymond had a terrible season and he put up similar numbers without being able to train coming back from the most serious injury this team has seen in years.

I would say any weakness in our team that will likely prevent us from being able to win a cup is a gaping hole.

Weber would be a luxury, but he's not a need for this team. Edler put up as many points as Weber. He's the teams number 1 offensive defenseman.

Weber ain't coming here, so it really doesn't matter now anyways.

Almost won the Calder in his rookie year scoring more goals than Daniel Sedin did this season. But that's not that impressive right?

Just cause he had a sophomore slump doesn't mean he didn't silence his critics.

Archived