The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

How is getting a defenseman when we already have 23 million tied up in our D more of a gaping hole?

You're putting too much focus on having a right-handed D-man. It`s really not as important as you`re making it out to be. We`ve had the top scoring D-core for the last few years, we`ll be fine.

When we score 8 goals in 7 games, I think you start to realize why I use the word gaping.

I disagree, we need a play maker for the second or third line. Schroeder is an unreal passer and makes any line he`s on better.

The fact that he`s small shouldn`t be a problem. Really, if we trade Raymond we don`t have that many small forwards. Put him on a line with Booth and Kassian and he`ll be fine.

Prepare to be shocked, because with Kesler out, Schroeder is gonna have a big shot to make the team.

No, it's not a myth, especially when it comes to the playoffs. Other teams seem to do a good job shutting us down. We need someone to help and take some pressure off of the Sedins and Kesler, as we are relying on them too much.

Well when you draft 4 times from 20-30, you`ve gotta think the odds of getting one elite player along the lines of a Perry, Kesler, Richards, or Giroux are good.

Schroeder won the rookie of the year award in college, is the all time leading scoring for the US in the world junior tournament, and won a gold medal for team USA. He has just as good of a track record in junior as Hodgson did.

Or Weber could get a concussion next season and be done. That`s the risk of ridiculously long-term contracts like this.

Uh, we have Burrows, Higgins, Booth, Raymond, Hansen, and Lapierre all are capable of scoring timely goals for us, when need-be.

Guess what?

In the playoffs, New Jersey only score .1 more goals this year than Vancouver last year. We also scored more 5 on 5 goals in last year playoff than LA.

Uh, we have Burrows, Higgins, Booth, Raymond, Hansen, and Lapierre all are capable of scoring timely goals for us, when need-be.

Guess what?

In the playoffs, New Jersey only score .1 more goals this year than Vancouver last year. We also scored more 5 on 5 goals in last year playoff than LA.

The lowest scoring team in the league would of averaged 10 goals in 5 games. Injuries weren't the main problem, you can use whatever excuse you want. Kesler's injury wasn't the reason our second line was useless; plain and simple.

Actually, I knew the Canucks acquiring Weber would be a pipedream, just like every other top free agents. I thought Weber will soon sign with Detroit, once they were out on the Suter sweepstake.

Just wanted to point out that our scoring woes that people seem to think we have, is a myth. Whether you like to agree or not.

23 mil? This argument is ludicrous when over 4 mil is tied up with Ballard.

The right handed D is very important. Mark my words the nucks will have problems with it next year.

I'm not trying to insult you but if you've never played hockey you won't understand that having the puck on your forehand along the boards in the def and offensive zones is vital. Moving the puck is so much more difficult.

Who's going to play right side? Edler can't do it. He's proven that. Garrison has never played right side. Can he? Big maybe.

I think you know that Web would make us better defensively too.

Are you referring to the finals? The one where we came one win away from the cup?

Nope, because Schroeder's ready. Funny how people were saying te same thing about Hodgson before last season, and by half way through people were saying he should be on the second line.

The only knock on Schroeder is his size. But the funny thing is he's not even that much smaller than Hodgson, but he's stronger and has blazing sped.

People who don't watch him play in the AHL don't realize how size isn't really a big issue for him. He can be a dominant player by using his speed and his hockey smarts. I would question our GM if he didn't give our top center prospect a shot in the NHL. You don't develop players if you don;t give them a chance.

yes we might get an elite player out of those four picks, but we would have a guaranteed top D now when we need him.

Schroeder's jr age record pales in comparison to hodgson's.

Yes Web could get a concussion just like any other player in the league. yes that's the risk of long term deals.

Some are willing to go all in when you have the cards. Others will fold and try to pick up some small pots along the way.

I've seen Schreoder play many games in the AHL. I've never seen him be a dominant player in any one single game. Sure I've seen him score two goals in one game, but I can't say it was a dominant performance. If you are a consecutive presidents trophy winner and you leave your second line centre spot open for a guy drafted 3 seasons ago in the mid 20's whom hasn't been a dominant force in the AHL, you are not being a very wise GM. If we were Edmonton I wouldn't be complaining about it, but we aren't.

Archived