The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

How is that? Now they match and they lock up Weber for the rest of his carreer- how bad is that? Do you think they were hoping to lock him up for less money? Is that why you say it is bad? How much less then? Can't be much. Rinne is at $7 million a year. weber around $8 million, makes sense to me

Nashville will match because if the flyers get weber and I know bryzgalov is a space cadet, but they will most likely still finish in the top 5 in the league this year and continue to be competitive at the very least for the next four, drafting 20-30 lets say. It makes no sense for nashville not to match because they could get crap from drafting and then look like tools.

It will be 4 FIRST ROUND picks because you only divide by the first 5 years of the contract and the annual average you get is what determines the compensatory picks.

Having said that, 25-27th pick in the first round draft is not always a guaranteed success. Even you swing a home run on two of those 4 picks, a) that will bear fruit maybe 3,4,5 years down the line - not sure if Nashville is ready for a rebuild, or going from competing now mindset to build for the future mindset; B) the risk of letting go a superstar for not knowing what you'll get in return may not be worth it.

Nashville is currently about 13M under the cap floor. Even if they sign him for a year, I think he's still tradeable at a later point. His cap hit is lower than 8M. Would the Canucks not love to have Weber at below 8M for the next 10 years? He'll be worth more than 4 1st round picks in a trade.

I wanted Weber but good on the flyers who have done this in the past.They have tried to do that to kesler and we matched.To bad the preds will match and now we wont have a chance,but I thought this would happen and I am shocked more GM's dont do this.

What do people have against offer sheets? I know there taboo in this league. The same people have nothing wrong with Hamhuis and garrison signing as UFAs for less money. I'm more resentful at Gms for that. Much more of a cheap shot. Everything's within the RULES. Do you know what rules are? So what if not many gms practice or condone offer sheets? For guys like Weber they're excellent value. Gilly shoulda been in on this play and he should have offered more money. Our team shouldn't have patience. Weber on our team now is what we need. Who cares about 2 firsts and a third if we win the cup? He's a perennial Norris winner.

Archived