The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

It makes me laugh that some people comment on where Mike Gillis was and why he didn't sign an offer sheet. The Canuck's prospect pool for one isn't anything to brag about and offering up to 4 first round draft picks would just kill the Canuck farm club. Also Gillis is still trying to work out a hockey trade for Luongo, you don't want to give a way a talent just like that. Just like July 1st where everyone was calling for Gillis' head you have to be patient.

You know its going to be a brutal day on these boards when Doan doesn't sign here either lol - get over it folks - we were never getting Weber. Lets move on please and stop calling out Gillis. I don't want my hockey team saddled with any more long term contracts that are a b*tch to move when the player wants to move on

That 27 million is probably the biggest, if not, sole reason that Nashville won't match. This must be terrible for the Preds and Poile because it's up the ownership to see if they can or even want to fork over 27 million in one calender yearThey were a force this season but now have potentially lost 2 of the best defensemen in the game in one offseason.

Without Weber they're gonna be running a REALLY young defense:

Klein - Josi

Ellis - Gill

Eckholm - Blum

Actually he's getting a lot more than two SBs. The majority of the money he makes in the first few years is all signing bonuses to protect the money from a possible salary roll back in the new CBA.

I wish this was us instead of Philly. :sadno:

Onto plan B: Offersheet ALL THE FLYERS!

Who do they have? Voracek? They must be in a cap crunch right now, and if we signed it today it would really put them in a bind with them having to await word from Nashville.

I'm a little confused here (and yes doesn't take much to do that) but how the hell do you front load a contract like that - 27 mil in the first year? Whats the difference between this contract and the one New Jersey did with Kovalchuk? Anyone - anyone at all that feels sorry for owners and is siding with them in the current negotiations needs to look no farther than Philly to see these idiots can't control themselves even with a salary cap. Personally I think the league needs to null and void this contract - I thought in no year could the salary exceed the max you could pay a player under the CBA - apparently thats not the case.

Don't get me wrong - I love the fact Weber is going East (and he was never going to be a Canuck folks) and Philly can sign all the D men they like but until they solve their goaltending problem they are going nowhere.

Weber (if he leaves) just made the West a little bit easier for the Canucks :D

Weber/Philly has forced everyone's hand.

1.) Nashville matches this reasonable offer.

2.) After matching, Poile will talk to Weber and ask him if he wants to stay a Predator. If the answer is "no", then Poile calls Philly and they are asked if they would like to trade for Weber.

3.) Philly, assuming they still want Weber, will trade *more* for Weber than four 1st rounders. If Philly doesn't bite, some other team will. If no other team wants to pay Nashville's asking price, Weber stays a Pred.

regards,

G.

Yeah I tend to agree - they have no choice really and without Suter there they should be able to afford it. It's Poille's fault really - he left it out there as an option for Weber and any team looking for that number 1 D man.

one of the reasons kovalchuk contract was rejected was based on the fact that the likely hood of him playing to the age of 40 was not going to happen and the devils also knew that.

Rejected offer was 17 years $102million, of which he would earn 95milliion in the first 10 years and 1 million after that for the remaining 7 years.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=328025 (source)

I think more then anything the NHL wants to see the likely hood that a player will finish the contract bearing no career ending injuries or get close to it +/- 2-3 years of the contact.

The question the NHL would look at is the likely hood of Webber playing at the age of 37 for example is very likely

Weber/Philly has forced everyone's hand.

1.) Nashville matches this reasonable offer.

2.) After matching, Poile will talk to Weber and ask him if he wants to stay a Predator. If the answer is "no", then Poile calls Philly and they are asked if they would like to trade for Weber.

3.) Philly, assuming they still want Weber, will trade *more* for Weber than four 1st rounders. If Philly doesn't bite, some other team will. If no other team wants to pay Nashville's asking price, Weber stays a Pred.

regards,

G.

Nashville, Tenn. (July 19, 2012) – Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile issued the following statement this morning:

"We are in receipt of the offer sheet signed between the Philadelphia Flyers and Shea Weber. Under the rules pertaining to an offer sheet, the Predators have one week to decide whether to match or accept the compensation. We have stated previously that, should a team enter into an offer sheet with Shea, our intention would be to match and retain Shea. Our ownership has provided us with the necessary resources to build a Stanley Cup-winning team. Due to the complexity of the offer sheet, we will take the appropriate time to review and evaluate it and all of its ramifications in order to make the best decision for the Predators in both the short and long-term.

“We do not anticipate any further comments on this situation until we make our decision within the next seven days.”

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=638229

You can't say that with any certainty. Poile could have tried everything to sign him and Weber could have refused. Weber could have asked for a trade and Poile could have been trying to work that out? Weber could have been making ridiculous demands, the NSH owners could have said no to a certain salary.....who knows?

It's too much cold, hard cash for Nashville to match.

Four late first round picks isn't much for Weber, but it's a helluva lot more than what they got for Hamhuis and Suter.

Can Philly and Nashville still work out a trade within the week?

Archived