The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

Anyone remember the Oilers offersheet to Vanek back in 07? Would have cost the Oilers 4 first round picks. Granted, their performance would have been affected, but just for amusement sake, it would have been:

2008 - Jordan Eberle

2009 - Magnus Paajarvi

2010 - Taylor Hall

2011 - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

To me, Poile's statement says we are going to give the League time to review this offer as we feel it is a clear attempt to circumvent the cap and as such, should be penalized as was the case with New Jersey.

I'm not 100% sure that the NHL will reject the contract, but if they want to have ANY credibility in negotiating a new CBA, they HAVE to reject this deal.

It is way to front end loaded. I'm sure this is on here somewhere, but this is right off of TSN website:

- The Philadelphia Flyers have signed defenceman Shea Weber to a 14-year offer sheet worth a total of of $110 million. The deal includes $68 million in bonus money in the first six years.

In total, Weber will make $14 million in each of the first four years; $12 million in years five and six; $6 million in each of the next four seasons; $3 million in year 11; and $1 million in each of the remaining years.

---------

If the NHL is at all serious about reigning in contracts, they have to reject at the very least year 13 and 14 of this deal and tell Philly if they want to do this, they have to restructure this to dramatically increase the amount of money going out in the last 4 years of this deal.

Is NSH not seriously in danger of falling below the cap minimum team salary without Weber on the roster? Would that force them into a couple of unplanned roster moves to reach the cap minimum? Would they need to look at a guy like Semin to solve this issue?

I don't think the NHL can deny the contract since they don't have the new CBA. The Weber deal isn't structured all that much differently then the deals Parise and Suter just signed where the last 3 years are all garbage. They would have to void all 3 contracts or if they maintain that Parise and Suter's contracts are appropiate then Philly would just have to make a minor tweak with the final 4th and 5th year evening them out slightly.

It will likely be seen as an okay contract and be the last one of that structure we see.

You just don't know what difference Vanek may have made. Maybe they would have ended up around 20th place, still missing the playoffs, but not getting nearly as good a picks. It could just as easily have been these players as 1st round compensation picks

2008 - Kyle Beach

2009 - Scott Glennie

2010 - Joey Hishon

2011 - J.T. Miller

Not that those players are failures, but they haven't made any mark in the league yet at all, so it is to show how big a difference there is between the players the Oilers drafted, vs what they may have if they hadn't been so horrible...There is still plenty of room to fail in drafting in the first round or end up with players that won't make your roster for several years..

They can completely deny it. They have a fully functional CBA still in effect.

It doesn't expire until September 15th and until then its fully enforceable.

As I recall, there were certain provisions that were "Agreed to" when then NHL agreed to back down and grandfather in Kovalchuck and Luongo contracts provided there was an agreement moving forward to curb deals such as this.

In my mind, Nashville isn't coming out and matching this morning (which I believe they have the ability to do) because they are asking the NHL to review the validity of the offer and whether they would agree to register the contract. If the answer is "NO", then the offer sheet dies.

An offer sheet isn't a binding contract until the NHL agrees to register it. Ultimately, the NHL has to agree that this meets the spirit of the Current CBA and isn't a direct attempt to circumvent the current cap system.

Does anyone know if Nash can still trade Weber somewhere that's not Philly and hence does the offer sheet go with him?

The major issue seems to be that Nash, as a smaller market team can't afford the $27M he'll be owed in year one (and subsequent money following). Could they not trade Weber to a richer market team that can afford that, get a better return than 4 late 1st round picks and the new team simply match the offer sheet? Nash gets a better return and they also get to send a big F-YOU to Philly and new team gets the leagues best d-man for 10+ years at a manageable cap hit that sneaks in prior to the new CBA...

Or is there a rule I'm unaware of that won't allow an offer sheeted player to be traded to a third team?

It's a pretty tough call on what Nashville should do. This is a ton of money to give a guy who had turned down a contract offer before, so they have to wonder how happy he will be staying. But 4 late 1st round picks could end up almost worthless, and the possibility of swapping the picks back to Philly for players may not be that enticing either - what would Philly be willing to give up? Matt Read? Another forward? A prospect? For a player of Weber's caliber, in his prime, I don't really see how Philly doesn't win this if they get him, no matter whether it's four 1st rounders or some roster players swapped. And even if Nashville keeps him, I don't think Nashville wins...

Does anyone know if Nash can still trade Weber somewhere that's not Philly and hence does the offer sheet go with him?

The major issue seems to be that Nash, as a smaller market team can't afford the $27M he'll be owed in year one (and subsequent money following). Could they not trade Weber to a richer market team that can afford that, get a better return than 4 late 1st round picks and the new team simply match the offer sheet? Nash gets a better return and they also get to send a big F-YOU to Philly and new team gets the leagues best d-man for 10+ years at a manageable cap hit that sneaks in prior to the new CBA...

Or is there a rule I'm unaware of that won't allow an offer sheeted player to be traded to a third team?

Archived