The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

This mess (offer sheets and poaching players from each others team) is 100% the greedy owners fault and nobody else's. Despite labor laws anti-trust legislation, the owners could easily have an 'unwritten rule' amonst themselves that no offer sheets be made - but no, all it takes is one greedy owner like Snider to tell his GM to go after another owners asset and it's GAME ON!

I don't understand why so many people are shocked by what he's making, yes it looks bad because of the CBA and the annual salary cap for each team, but this guy is worth every penny in my opinion. The way the NHL has it's salary cap set up makes good players look like idiots when they get big contracts when clearly that's what they should be making, but it's the fact that Bettman want's to have this low salary cap in the NHL, so real superstars can't make as much as they should be making. I really believe each team should have a salary cap of 100M, when I see in the NFL a defensive linebacker making more money than a player like Kesler or the Sedins, who only plays a maximum of 18 games in a season, who really isn't a superstar in his sport, makes the NHL look like garbage, especially when your superstar players in your league are being paid less then players in other sports who aren't even close to being superstars. Some bum can go play in the NFL and make more money then a Sedin, but even though the Sedin is much more better at what he does and has worked that much harder to be where he is, and then find out some bum can make more money then him, because some stupid guy named Bettman wants teams to be as equal as possible and not have players make millions of dollars.

Bettman himself can take home every year more than any player on the Canucks roster salary as he makes $7.1M, and then an additional $2.9M for marketing for stuff players where on their jerseys and helmets. Bettman makes $10M a year, more than any players salary on the Canucks, pretty sad from a guy who still wants to lower the CBA, so NHL players can't make as much money as him.

Why are you calling snider a 'greedy' owner? He's using all the team's resources (money) to acquire a great player for all the team's fans who pay top dollar for tickets, jerseys, etc.

If that's greedy then I wish Acquilini was 'greedy' too.

good, finally all the weber coming to vancouver talks can be put to rest.What a stupid contract, am really getting sick of all these owners bitchin about not making enough in profits, BS.I hope the players get all they want in this CBA.

Quit trying to blame Bettman for any of this. Bettman goes to any CBA negotiations under direct orders from his owners. If the owners told him to get rid of the cap - he'd have to do it or the owners would find another commissioner. If the owners tell Bettman to try and get the cap to be a lower percentage of league revenues - he tries as best he can. That's it, Bettman works for the owners and does what they tell him.

This mess (offer sheets and poaching players from each others team) is 100% the greedy owners fault and nobody else's. Despite labor laws anti-trust legislation, the owners could easily have an 'unwritten rule' amonst themselves that no offer sheets be made - but no, all it takes is one greedy owner like Snider to tell his GM to go after another owners asset and it's GAME ON!

Bettman has had his negative impact on the NHL as a whole, but to try to blame him for this mess by pointing out how much he makes is nonsense.

but it's the fact that Bettman want's to have this low salary cap in the NHL, so real superstars can't make as much as they should be making. I really believe each team should have a salary cap of 100M, when I see in the NFL a defensive linebacker making more money than a player like Kesler or the Sedins, who only plays a maximum of 18 games in a season, who really isn't a superstar in his sport, makes the NHL look like garbage, especially when your superstar players in your league are being paid less then players in other sports who aren't even close to being superstars. Some bum can go play in the NFL and make more money then a Sedin, but even though the Sedin is much more better at what he does and has worked that much harder to be where he is, and then find out some bum can make more money then him, because some stupid guy named Bettman wants teams to be as equal as possible and not have players make millions of dollars.

If the NHL is serious about getting rid of contracts like this, couldn't they simply deny it and call it cap circumvention. It's front loaded with a huge bonus, exactly the type of contract for the NHL to make an example of as the talks continue. It seems like they denied the UFA contract given to Kovalchuk and made the Devils rework it for less.

In terms of Weber's contract, 14 years is insane. Why stop there? Make every star's contract 50 years, 300 million with everything front loaded into the first five years. 6 million cap hit for a guy making 50 million over the first two years of his contract. Why is there a salary cap again? It is clearly artificial.

I'm no Bettman fan, but this is ridiculous.

It's supply and demand.

The reason NFL players make more than NHLers, in the aggregate, is because of their humongous revenue through TV ratings. The NHL's ratings, by comparison, are puny. The NHL, in the U.S., is a regional draw. And NHL players make just as much, if not more, of the total revenue from their respective teams than is the case in the NFL, or the the NBA for that matter.

As to the lucrative and long-term contract that Weber (and others) get in the current NHL, it'll be very interesting to see how the upcoming collective bargaining agreement will shake out. One issue would seem to be how the players' union sees the floating cap ceiling moving in the next decade or so. If they're worried it'll go down, perhaps they'll fight more than some think to retain most of the long-term shenanigans we're still seeing with this contract.

Archived