The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

To my knowledge, owners do not want to lower salary cap. Can you please post up factual information or links to the contrary? In fact the cap has been raised every single year (including next season) since 05/06.

What they are trying to do however, and this is perfectly within their bargaining rights, is to change the revenue sharing structure that currently exists between the owners and the NHLPA. You going to blame Bettman for that too?

To my knowledge, owners do not want to lower salary cap. Can you please post up factual information or links to the contrary? In fact the cap has been raised every single year (including next season) since 05/06.

What they are trying to do however, and this is perfectly within their bargaining rights, is to change the revenue sharing structure that currently exists between the owners and the NHLPA. You going to blame Bettman for that too?

Coming from you, then if the owners don't want to lower the salary then why would there be a lock out?

CBA proposal stats this: RDS.ca posted details of the proposal, including a reduction of players' hockey-related revenues from 57 per cent to 46 per cent. Last time I checked that's a drop in salary and that's what they are trying to do.

I don't understand why so many people are shocked by what he's making, yes it looks bad because of the CBA and the annual salary cap for each team, but this guy is worth every penny in my opinion. The way the NHL has it's salary cap set up makes good players look like idiots when they get big contracts when clearly that's what they should be making, but it's the fact that Bettman want's to have this low salary cap in the NHL, so real superstars can't make as much as they should be making. I really believe each team should have a salary cap of 100M, when I see in the NFL a defensive linebacker making more money than a player like Kesler or the Sedins, who only plays a maximum of 18 games in a season, who really isn't a superstar in his sport, makes the NHL look like garbage, especially when your superstar players in your league are being paid less then players in other sports who aren't even close to being superstars. Some bum can go play in the NFL and make more money then a Sedin, but even though the Sedin is much more better at what he does and has worked that much harder to be where he is, and then find out some bum can make more money then him, because some stupid guy named Bettman wants teams to be as equal as possible and not have players make millions of dollars.

Bettman himself can take home every year more than any player on the Canucks roster salary as he makes $7.1M, and then an additional $2.9M for marketing for stuff players where on their jerseys and helmets. Bettman makes $10M a year, more than any players salary on the Canucks, pretty sad from a guy who still wants to lower the CBA, so NHL players can't make as much money as him.

Your attempt at comparing the salary structure of the NHL (the smallest of the 4 major pro-sports organization in NA) to the NFL (the most lucrative pro-sports industry in NA) clearly shows your lack of knowledge of the subject matter.

Your further attempts at blaming anything related to the Weber offer sheet on Bettman is even more proof that you have no idea of what you are talking about.

Stop now so you won't have to back and edit even more posts.

You seem to have no clue as the chances of a player having success in the NHL. Without going to great lengths it's quite easy to see that his scenario is far more likely than yours simply by the fact that most of these first rounders don't even make the NHL let alone turn into stars, let alone 4 in a row by one team. lol

Hey how about this,

Canucks makes a verble deal with Nashville and

Nashiveille matches the offersheet then

Canucks trade 1st + Edler + Raymond + prospect to Nashville for Webber.

It's a win-win. Nashvill got better deal than 2 1st from Phlly, Canucks got Webber!

Do it MG!!!

Well lets take a look at the odds then. Here's the odds for a 20th to 30th pick making the NHL from the 2003 draft to the 2007 draft.

Players who have played over 200 games:

23 players out of 50 or 46%

Players who have played over 100 games:

29 players out of 50 or 58%

Players who have played at least 1 game in the NHL:

43 players out of 50 or 86%

So really the odds of simply making the NHL as a late first round pick aren't as bad as you're saying. Obviously when you look at NHL regulars the odds go down quite a bit, but it's still at about the 50% mark that a player will play at least 200 games.

There are good drafts and bad drafts too, so the odds are still high that at least 1 of the four 1st round picks would be in a deep draft, and therefore have a good chance of being a regular NHLer. For example the 2003 draft had 80% of it's late first round picks become regular NHLers.

I wouldn't pass up that opportunity for 1 player.

Archived