The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

Before Rinne signed...

Suter "Yeah Rinns, I'm totally re-signing here, no chance I'm going anywhere else!"

Weber" Same here man, I'm gonna sign a long extension, the 3 of us will lead the team to the CUP!"

Suter"So get your long term deal locked in"

Rinne"Thanks guys, gonna sign that deal! Cup here we come!"

Yes so you see that the four low first rounders will probably get you one top player and possibly another solid player.

Is that worth one of the top D in the league right now when you have a mature team with a solid chance to win a cup?

I'll answer for myself and all the pundits I'm reading and listening to: NO.

I agree man 100% look at the Canucks last 12 picks

2000- Nathan Smith- Bust

2001- R.J Umburger- Sure he never played here but he is still a good top six forward

2002 Krill Koltsov- bust

2003- Ryan Kesler- Great second line center

2004- Cory Scienderman- Are starting goalie

2005- Luc Bourdon- Rip. Would have made are top six

2006- Micheal Grabnasty lol- Good player

2007- Patrick the bust white

2008- Cody Hodson- Maybe his dad is a douche but a good player

2009-2012 Who knows.

If you have 8 picks in the next four years well you have a great chance to get a good player every year and if you hit it really good maybe 5 or even 6 could play in the nhl out of 8. I say F u weber and develop their core with ellis, blum and klein.

2000- Nathan Smith- Bust

2001- R.J Umburger- Sure he never played here but he is still a good top six forward

2002 Krill Koltsov- bust

2009-2012 Who knows.

If you have 8 picks in the next four years well you have a great chance to get a good player every year and if you hit it really good maybe 5 or even 6 could play in the nhl out of 8. I say F u weber and develop their core with ellis, blum and klein.

He needs to let Weber go. Ellis is emerging, so is blum and others, and honestly, Poile would handicapp that franchise for years by signing that deal.

He gets FOUR first round picks out of this. If he drafts right, he could pick some studs up in the coming years. Don't forget, thats also a ton of trade value right there he could package for someone or a higher pick. Ex: three 1st rounds for 1st overall next year?

Well what if you get a Richards type, a Perry type player, one solid player, and one dud.

I don`t do this deal, too much given up for one player. Weber isn`t worth gambling the future for.

But I`m not gonna convince most people on here. Just my opinion, not gonna change.

good for philly for giving it a shot.

nashville will match however... they would have been better trying to sign him to a one year offer sheet would have gone to FA. problem is 4 first round picks for 1 season just doesn't cut it.

you aren't going to get another team's captain. like saying you hoped yzerman was here, or crosby, or ovechkin or doan. would be great, but just isn't going to happen. doan if and only if the ownership in phoenix tanks, so that is a bit of a special situation - and it will tank and he will probably stick it out anyways!! (hope not, but realistically... give it up!)

2000- Nathan Smith- Bust

2002 Krill Koltsov- bust

2009-2012 Who knows.

I agree DeNiro.

I sure as hell wouldn't give up Kassian, Schroeder, Jensen and Gaunce to land Weber, and then have to give up on signing Doan and clear out another player or two to make cap space for the 110 million dollar man.

I'm not impressed with Weber. The Predators are a hell of a team even without Suter. The fact that he is their captain, yet held out and then signed a crippling offer sheet when he could have agreed to a sign and trade... Something smells foul in Nashville - I'm not going to assume that Weber did the selfish thing there, but regardless, I am not going to waste any time wishing he were a Canuck. I much rather would have Doan for the next three years as opposed to gambling on Weber until 2026 (or 2023 or whatever he plays out...) I like the structure of the Canucks blueline, with four guys making similar money and Edler (hopefully) about to join them.

p.s. I also love the Canucks drafting - extremely efficient in my opinion - the one questionable pick since 2002 was Patrick White, who MG turned into the prinicple in the Ehrhoff deal. The next weakest link imo was turned into Kassian. I think Schroeder is about to dispel some doubts, and I am very excited about the potential of both Jensen and Gaunce. For a team that has late round picks perenially, I'd say they've done great.

Well lets take a look at the odds then. Here's the odds for a 20th to 30th pick making the NHL from the 2003 draft to the 2007 draft.

Players who have played over 200 games:

23 players out of 50 or 46%

Players who have played over 100 games:

29 players out of 50 or 58%

Players who have played at least 1 game in the NHL:

43 players out of 50 or 86%

So really the odds of simply making the NHL as a late first round pick aren't as bad as you're saying. Obviously when you look at NHL regulars the odds go down quite a bit, but it's still at about the 50% mark that a player will play at least 200 games.

There are good drafts and bad drafts too, so the odds are still high that at least 1 of the four 1st round picks would be in a deep draft, and therefore have a good chance of being a regular NHLer. For example the 2003 draft had 80% of it's late first round picks become regular NHLers.

I wouldn't pass up that opportunity for 1 player.

2000- Nathan Smith- Bust

2002 Krill Koltsov- bust

2009-2012 Who knows.

I agree DeNiro.

I sure as hell wouldn't give up Kassian, Schroeder, Jensen and Gaunce to land Weber, and then have to give up on signing Doan and clear out another player or two to make cap space for the 110 million dollar man.

I'm not impressed with Weber. The Predators are a hell of a team even without Suter. The fact that he is their captain, yet held out and then signed a crippling offer sheet when he could have agreed to a sign and trade... Something smells foul in Nashville - I'm not going to assume that Weber did the selfish thing there, but regardless, I am not going to waste any time wishing he were a Canuck. I much rather would have Doan for the next three years as opposed to gambling on Weber until 2026 (or 2023 or whatever he plays out...) I like the structure of the Canucks blueline, with four guys making similar money and Edler (hopefully) about to join them.

So Weber did meet with the Canucks after all. Good on Gillis to keep trying to improve our team, but we're not going to pay a stupid price of 4 First round picks and 7.8 cap hit for the next 14 years.

Gillis > Holmgren again.

2011 GM of the year.

Yeah that's about what I said. I guess we'd play poker differently. I know where you are coming from but if two of those guys make it chances are they are not going to be anywhere as good as Weber. That's just the odds. Unlike real numbers the better skill guys are exponentially more important the better they are. Also your stats show that most of these guys play 2-3 years or less meaning they are not even solid NHL'ers. So you could have maybe a decent second liner and a 4th line grinder or you could have Weber.

Archived