The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

Two very good bold moves - Carter and Richards, can be seriously messed up by another - using that cleared cap space to ink Bryzgalov to an albatross contract with a no movement clause... As much as I like a few of Holmgren's moves, I prefer the more measured caution of MG.

The fact of the matter is we will never know how much success or failure we would have had with Weber. We can argue this back and forth until we're blue in the face. All this is now is speculation and opinion and you're probably not going to change anyone's thoughts on the issue.

Of course, if I were Gillis' shoes, this is how I would see it (post from another thread):

Several reasons why we possibly didn't go after him. One of those reasons being the forfeit of four first round picks. The Flyers with their stacked young talent have the ability to forfeit those picks for Weber because they know they will still have a young flow of youth developing and or ready to play as of right now. This is entirely because of trading and drafting. Last year the Flyers had 10 players under the age of 23 play 24 or more games for them. That is insane. We, on the other hand, cannot say the same. Last year, the Canucks had three players under the age of 23 play 25 or more games for them: Hodgson/Kassian, Tanev, and Weise. All due respect, these guys do not compare to Voracek, Giroux, Schenn, or Simmonds. Also, our farm is not overly promising as it stands with Schroeder being the only real young talent that has a shot to play in the NHL consistently anytime soon. We are in no position to sacrifice the future like that.

I don't understand, what was the point of these meetings? To see if he would sign an offer sheet from each team?

I don't think I like this process. Weber has inside information on Nashville through his negotiations, and likely knows what kind of offer it would take to make Nashville bow out.

This is just a strange situation to me. Especially if Weber has to go back to Nashville this season after what he did.

Salary Cap? What Salary Cap? Right back to where the league started pre lock out. The NHL is a 30 team league that really only has 6 or 7 teams that can afford top end talent. It was also my understanding that the Kovy contract was supposed to be the last of its kind with all the front loading bs? This way of doing things makes me sick and I am starting to lose interest in the NHL now. What is the point if the top end talented players don't have any loyalty except to the top dollar?

The canucks were really really lucky that the Cap was alot lower when the Sedins became free agents, or when Kesler got his new deal. Im sure some rich team woul've snatched them up at a price the Canucks could really afford. <_<

Totally agree, I don't understand. Is it not tampering? But it's less painful to hear he did have Canucks on his list, even though they didn't get him.

It appears Nucks have been on 'the list' for a lot of players this summer (Schultz, Garrison, Weber, Doan). Just not Tanner Glass - darn.

Well what if you get a Richards type, a Perry type player, one solid player, and one dud.

I don`t do this deal, too much given up for one player. Weber isn`t worth gambling the future for.

But I`m not gonna convince most people on here. Just my opinion, not gonna change.

I don't understand, what was the point of these meetings? To see if he would sign an offer sheet from each team?

I don't think I like this process. Weber has inside information on Nashville through his negotiations, and likely knows what kind of offer it would take to make Nashville bow out.

This is just a strange situation to me. Especially if Weber has to go back to Nashville this season after what he did.

Totally agree, I don't understand. Is it not tampering? But it's less painful to hear he did have Canucks on his list, even though they didn't get him.

It appears Nucks have been on 'the list' for a lot of players this summer (Schultz, Garrison, Weber, Doan). Just not Tanner Glass - darn.

Salary Cap? What Salary Cap? Right back to where the league started pre lock out. The NHL is a 30 team league that really only has 6 or 7 teams that can afford top end talent. It was also my understanding that the Kovy contract was supposed to be the last of its kind with all the front loading bs? This way of doing things makes me sick and I am starting to lose interest in the NHL now. What is the point if the top end talented players don't have any loyalty except to the top dollar?

The canucks were really really lucky that the Cap was alot lower when the Sedins became free agents, or when Kesler got his new deal. Im sure some rich team woul've snatched them up at a price the Canucks could really afford. <_<

Come on, tampering?? He was a free agent, what part of free agent don't you understand. He was restrcited in the sense that Nashville could match, but he was a free agent. The purpose of those meetings was very simple: Weber wanted to stay in Nashville and Nashville wants him back but they could not agree on a price. So he went to the market and what he signed was the market price. Now both he and Poile know they are signing a fair deal.

Come on, tampering?? He was a free agent, what part of free agent don't you understand. He was restrcited in the sense that Nashville could match, but he was a free agent. The purpose of those meetings was very simple: Weber wanted to stay in Nashville and Nashville wants him back but they could not agree on a price. So he went to the market and what he signed was the market price. Now both he and Poile know they are signing a fair deal.

The players are not just going to let the revenue sharing drop from 57 to 46 they will try to go for like 54 i bet and the league will hold out for 50%. It's looking like a lock out for at least half the season and if that's the case the salary cap is going to come crashing down.

Archived