The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

Weber owed the preds nothing. He played hard for the duration of his contract.

I agree that he wants out now so he has no reason to weaken his new team by having them make a fair trade for his services.

The nhl is a predatory business. Ironic isn't it?

The "loyalty" card gets played too often, and sometimes for the wrong reasons.

None of us can get inside the head of Shane Doan. To an outsider, it may appear that he's kept the faith with a struggling franchise for years in hopes of providing the 26 long-suffering fans (not including the B.C.-based winter residents there) with something to cheer about.

It's just as likely that he simply loves living there, as do his wife and family, and that lifestyle is more important than going to the highest bidder.

In any event, I don't fault players for

1) grabbing the $$

2) wanting to play for a winner

Weber owes the Predators nothing. He's played out his years there without controversy, and has watched Hamhuis and Suter flee. Everyone knew he'd be going for a long contract, though probably not for the Kovy special. And just like the situation in the NBA with Cleveland, LeBron James, though the way he did it was douchy, was absolutely in the right for leaving that city. Management failed completely in improving the team in the years he was there. In Nashville's case, the team actually became worse. I realize it's not solely management's fault that Hamhuis and Suter left, but why would Weber want to commit long-term to a team whose future is not only unpromising, but whose current off-season is heartbreaking?

Doan never had to contend with that because PHX never had that much promise at any time. And every player has his breaking point. You said earlier that it was a slam dunk Doan would stay in PHX. Do you still believe that?

He could of went about things differently. He could of went to Poile and said look I don't want to play here trade me and the Preds could of gotten a kings ransom for him. He then could of signed Philly's offer sheet or whom ever he was traded too. It seems like Weber wants to go to Philly and feels that he has a good chance to win the cup there and didn't want Philly to give up any impact players right now so it won't affect his cup chances so he just fracked the Pred's instead.

So he doesn't owe the Preds for drafting him, putting time and money into his development, providing him an awesome farm team to develop on, awesome D partners to play with, and making him a captain and the face of the Predators?

I would say that's pretty cold if he feels that way. You think Burrows would ever say that about the Canucks organization?

"Let's hear what Kevin Bieksa had to say about the Flyers going after another star with an offer sheet : "#Weber #offersheet @Ryan_Kesler Now that's an offer sheet Kes! Makes yours look like 2 three year olds bartering for the red lego... "

"Let's hear what Kevin Bieksa had to say about the Flyers going after another star with an offer sheet : "#Weber #offersheet @Ryan_Kesler Now that's an offer sheet Kes! Makes yours look like 2 three year olds bartering for the red lego... "

Honestly Weber would not have fit in our plans for next season. We have something like 3 million in cap space so the only way we could have gotten Weber is if we cap dumped Ballard for picks and traded Luongo for young pieces who don't cost much right now.

Think of this from a GM's standpoint. That's 3 giant moves that he has to pull off and a lot of hard work.

Regardless, we have Edler to sign/extend next season and this Garrison signing really handcuffed Gillis in the Weber-department. He made the sure move of signing Garrison to a cheap long term deal instead of waiting to go hunting for Suter or Weber (an RFA so much less likely to secure) as a partner for Edler. If he failed at the latter and Garrison walked elsewhere this team would be in serious trouble, but instead MG made the smart move and we've got a solidified top-4 right now.

this could be very good news for the Canucks. It was reported by Webers agent that the canucks was one of a couple teams they talked to before signing with the Philly. So this tells me that the Canucks believed that Nashville would match, witch I also do. Nashville needs to get to the Cap floor so a 7.8 cap hit would help this year. They keep him for one year then trade him for more value then Phillies 4 firsts (which would be in the 20th + overall each year) not much value for Weber if you ask me. Weber had every right to force Nashville to sign him to market value before the new CBA comes in. This also would exclude Philly as trading parteners next year (nashiville and Philly are enemies for years to come). Vancouver gets a first round pick in the Luongo trade, uses that with one of thier's, with a resigned Edler ( no NTC in the first year). Vancouver could offer 2 first, Edler and Ballard and a prospect for Weber. this offer is way more benificial to Nashville then 4 late first rounders.

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports

Breaking news - #Canucks gm Mike Gillis met with Shea Weber and his agents in Kelowna last week and made presentation.

Bouquet tells CKWX that playing in his home province was very appealing to Weber and that's why they talked to #Canucks several times.

Bouquet tells CKWX that as soon as Ryan Suter signed in MIN, the #Canucks read the market place and started the chase for Weber.

“@News1130Sports: Breaking news - #Canucks gm Mike Gillis met with Shea Weber and his agents in Kelowna last week and made presentation.”

“@News1130Sports: Weber's agent Jarret Bouquet tells CKWX that Gillis's presentation was execllent but right now Philly made more sense.”

“@News1130Sports: Bouquet tells CKWX that playing in his home province was very appealing to Weber and that's why they talked to #Canucks several times.”

“@News1130Sports: Bouquet tells CKWX that as soon as Ryan Suter signed in MIN, the #Canucks read the market place and started the chase for Weber.”

“@News1130Sports: Bouquet tells CKWX he won't get into what the #Canucks offered for Weber but VAN was 1 of 6 teams under serious consideration.”

Archived