Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1306 replies to this topic

#391 rkoshack

rkoshack

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

10.4 Draft Choice Compensation for Restricted Free Agents

Any Club that is entitled to but does not exercise its Right of First Refusal pursuant to Section 10.3 shall be entitled to obtain Draft Choice Compensation from the New Club. The number and quality of draft choices due to the Prior Club shall be based on the average annual value of the compensation contained in the Principal Terms (as defined in Section 10.3(e) hereof) of the New Club's Offer Sheet (determined by dividing such compensation by the lesser of the number of years of the Offer Sheet or five)

#392 nucklehead2

nucklehead2

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

LOL AT BIEKSA'S TWEET TO KES
hahaha lego

#393 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,279 posts

Well, Nashville just lost their best 2 defenders.

Stop pointing the finger at Gillis guys. Clearly other GMs were interested and willing to pay substantial amounts.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#394 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Wow... I bet Nashville fans aren't happy.

yah, I was just on their board and all 3 of them are pissed. Check in tomorrow to see the rage of the other 2 currently in deep sleep.

Edited by Hotdawg, 18 July 2012 - 11:31 PM.

#395 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

FALSE

http://www.broadstre...-youre-sleeping

However, this is misleading; the compensation for long deals is not based on cap hit, but on one-fifth of the total value of the contract. For a package of over $100 million, that means it would be treated as a $20 million/year offer, which is obviously in the top group and would cost the Flyers their first round pick in each of the next four years. Hopefully everyone involved realized this.

I know of a few guys that need to read this.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Sig by Ranyart. FEEL FREE TO USE EITHER!

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#396 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

YES FINALLY! The Preds will match and Weber will remain in Nashville for the next decade in a half. Now we can stop the whole "Weber will come here cause he's from here argument".

Nashville may not be able to afford the massive signing bonuses and front loadedness.

#397 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:21 PM

I know of a few guys that need to read this.

A few? Try making it every numbnut that thinks Gillis lost out (see: every 12 year old kid out there)

#398 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,944 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:22 PM

No, "in a way" it was 3 1sts. "Technically" it was 1 1st and 2 actual players.

You can call a player a first rounder if he was drafted there, fine. But don't make it sound like a 1st rounder that busted has the same value as a future 1st rounder. A lottery ticket that lost is still a lottery ticket, but I wouldn't pay a penny for one.

Technically it was 3 - 1st rounders. It came in the form of 1 pick and 2 players.

Those are your words not mine. I said:

If the compensation is two - 1st rounders, a 2nd and 3rd.
Gillis traded approx. that in the Keith Ballard trade! (1st rounder, Grabner [who was a 1st rounder], Bernier [who was a 1st rounder] ). That's 3 first round picks right there for Keith Ballard. Gillis must have been in the midst of putting together an offer sheet for Weber, right? Surely, Weber is worth more than Keith Ballard, right?

#399 VegasCanuck

VegasCanuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Nashville will match and trade him next summer. They can get more for him on trade than 4 late first round picks.

#400 Systemaddict

Systemaddict

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

I agree. These types of contracts have been circumventing the cap for years. I totally side with the owners on their proposals. I don't see them getting everything they asked for but I believe at least these rediculous contracts will be a thing of the past in the new CBA.

You realize it's owners that give the mandate to GM's, right? They're the one's willing to PAY for these contracts. How can you side with owners when they walk out of both side's of their mouth like this?

Owner to NHLPA: "These big contracts are bad for the league"
Owner to Player: "Here...take 100 million dollars"

#401 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,639 posts

Nashville may not be able to afford the massive signing bonuses and front loadedness.

Holmgren tabled a very predatory offer sheet specifically structured to go after Nashville's weaker financial situation. If he and Poile had a good relationship before, I doubt they do now.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 18 July 2012 - 11:23 PM.

#402 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:23 PM

Other than Gill and Klein, Nashville's defensemen is young and extremely inexperienced with a total
of 140 games played between Josi, Ellis, and Blum. If Poile let's Weber walk, i could see Nashville
missing the playoffs next season.

I don't. All of their young defensemen have solid potential, and as on most teams, your top 4 will eat up most of the minutes. Their top 4, with Rinne behind them, still looks like it can do the job. They know how to draft and develop defensemen there. I don't think any team in the league has turned out as many NHL quality D in recent memory. Don't underestimate how they develop these players. look at the D they've produced.

Karlis Skrastins
Dan Hamhuis
Ryan Suter
Kevin Klein
Shea Weber
Alexander Sulzer
Cody Franson
Jonathon Blum
Nick Spaling
Roman Josi
Ryan Ellis
Mattias Ekholm (was SEL rookie of the year a year ago)

During the same time the Canucks for example have produced
Bryan Allen
Kevin Bieksa
Alexander Edler

#403 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

I don't see how MG let this happen. Weber was clearly worth the money and compensation. I hope Nashville matches. Holmgren has it right. Def my
Fave GM. He obviously has a lot more assets to play with but isn't afraid to make bold Moves for stud dmen. If they don't win the cup in the next 5 years I'll be very surprised.

Edited by cdubuya, 18 July 2012 - 11:24 PM.

Posted Image

#404 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,679 posts

A few? Try making it every numbnut that thinks Gillis lost out (see: every 12 year old kid out there)

MG should now really focus in extending Edler knowing that Weber is off the market.

#405 coyotecanuck

coyotecanuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:24 PM

Hmmm. This is a calculated case of act now and beg for forgiveness later by Holmgren.

He may very well have written the last successful offer sheet; and it could be that no one ever gets a clear shot at revenge.

The overtones of this signing could very well impact the CBA negotiations, and if you think about it, that's exactly what ComCast and the rich NHL teams want.

"Who knows, the center ice ref might have had a better view than the ref 5 feet away."

#406 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,679 posts

Nashville will match and trade him next summer. They can get more for him on trade than 4 late first round picks.

Not after also losing over 20 million as well

#407 Canucksh

Canucksh

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

People say that NSH will match the offer sheet.... but I doubt they will.

NSH is going to be getting 4 first rounders for Weber. Plus NHL.com says NSH was working on trading Weber to the Flyers, but NSH missed several deadlines and Flyers lost their patience... so why would NSH match the offersheet if they were going to trade him away?

I have a feeling that someone in NSH's management is gonna get the boot!

#408 rkoshack

rkoshack

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:25 PM

MG should now really focus in extending Edler knowing that Weber is off the market.

Do it now before next CBA

#409 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,961 posts

Technically it was 3 - 1st rounders. It came in the form of 1 pick and 2 players.

Those are your words not mine. I said:

Yes, you said "that's 3 first rounders".

Getting past the semantics... so what if it was 3 first rounders? It's not like Bernier/Grabner/25th overall has same value as what is assumed when you say "3 first rounders".

Posted ImagePosted Image

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#410 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts

Too bad he'll struggle next year without Suter, then no one will want him.

#411 VancouverStyle

VancouverStyle

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Well, Nashville just lost their best 2 defenders.

Stop pointing the finger at Gillis guys. Clearly other GMs were interested and willing to pay substantial amounts.

This.

I was hoping Gillis could some how acquire Weber, but not at this price tag.

#412 hockey21383

hockey21383

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

:picard:
1 player do not win a stanley cup......it not worth it

Gillis is a worthless GM. The core of this team was put together by Burke and Nonis, NONE of it by Gillis, and the one player he has drafted over the past 5 years who managed to crack the roster, he trades away for garbage just because of the Bruins.

#413 iLLmAtlc

iLLmAtlc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

Who's renting out the barn for Holmgren and Poile?!
Posted Image

#414 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

I don't. All of their young defensemen have solid potential, and as on most teams, your top 4 will eat up most of the minutes. Their top 4, with Rinne behind them, still looks like it can do the job. They know how to draft and develop defensemen there. I don't think any team in the league has turned out as many NHL quality D in recent memory. Don't underestimate how they develop these players. look at the D they've produced.

Karlis Skrastins
Dan Hamhuis
Ryan Suter
Kevin Klein
Shea Weber
Alexander Sulzer
Cody Franson
Jonathon Blum
Nick Spaling
Roman Josi
Ryan Ellis

Bryan Allen
Kevin Bieksa
Alexander Edler

Brad Ference? Luc Bourdon? Chris Tanev?

Posted ImagePosted Image

VOTE FOR EDLER!

#415 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,679 posts

Hmmm. This is a calculated case of act now and beg for forgiveness later by Holmgren.

He may very well have written the last successful offer sheet; and it could be that no one ever gets a clear shot at revenge.

The overtones of this signing could very well impact the CBA negotiations, and if you think about it, that's exactly what ComCast and the rich NHL teams want.

Wait for Doan to not choose us then offersheet Voracek

#416 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Karlis Skrastins
Dan Hamhuis
Ryan Suter
Kevin Klein
Shea Weber
Alexander Sulzer
Cody Franson
Jonathon Blum
Nick Spaling
Roman Josi
Ryan Ellis

Bryan Allen
Kevin Bieksa
Alexander Edler

Ohlund

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#417 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,944 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:29 PM

Yes, you said "that's 3 first rounders".

Getting past the semantics... so what if it was 3 first rounders? It's not like Bernier/Grabner/25th overall has same value as what is assumed when you say "3 first rounders".

Yes, cause I was responding you your first part. As I said, it was technically 3 - 1st rounders, but came in the form of a pick and 2 players.

My second part was responding to your comment:
You can call a player a first rounder if he was drafted there, fine. But don't make it sound like a 1st rounder that busted has the same value as a future 1st rounder. A lottery ticket that lost is still a lottery ticket, but I wouldn't pay a penny for one.

#418 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:29 PM

Gillis is a worthless GM. The core of this team was put together by Burke and Nonis, NONE of it by Gillis, and the one player he has drafted over the past 5 years who managed to crack the roster, he trades away for garbage just because of the Bruins.

Hamhuis? Manny? Lappy? Booth? Higgins?

Posted ImagePosted Image

VOTE FOR EDLER!

#419 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:30 PM

This makes me mad... This is a Bold move MG?!?! Not signing Andrew ebbett and mason raymond... Dumb. No Schultz, weber, or doan not to mention a very delayed luongo deal

#420 Nas19

Nas19

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:30 PM

Wow some people are acting like the world is ending. Shea Weber was never going to be a Canuck. I don't know why some of you guys got your hopes up so high. The cap and term is just not doable right now for the Canucks. If this was happening a few years down the road when the situation was different, then maybe. But as of right now the Canucks couldn't sign Weber.

In the end we still have one of the best teams in the league. We just won back to back President Trophies and we went to the Cup Final 2 years ago. Our core is the exact same as last year and we're going to compete for the Cup this upcoming year.

The Kings couldn't win the Stanley Cup with Gretzky. ONE player does not make a TEAM.

Jesus Christ some of you guys are just the biggest drama queens I've ever seen. Gillis doesn't sign Weber to a ridiculous contract, "OMGZ WE'RE SCREWED!!!!!! WE TOTALLY SUCK NOW!!!! OUR FUTURE IS OVER! THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!!! WE ONLY HAVE THE HANK, DANK, KESLER, BURROWS, EDLER, SCHNEIDER, LU, HAMHUIS AND A BUNCH OF OTHER REALLY GOOD PLAYERS!!!! BUT WITHOUT WEBER WE'RE NOTHING!!!!"

But then again I don't know why I'm surprised. This is CDC we're talking about here.

Edited by Nas19, 18 July 2012 - 11:34 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.