The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

Reminds me of how Philly did us a favour by getting Kesler to sign an offer sheet. Nashville matches and they ride off into the sunset with their franchise player locked up. They don't match, well, then we have a problem in that apparently Nashville is Philly's farm team.

I don't see why Nashville doesn't match though. Not if they kept Rinne around for his extravagent salary.

Edmonton, if they can keep the kids together, and happy sharing ice time

Minny, not really, no.........I don't think Koivu can stay healthy and beyond parise and Suter, I think they are shaky

Col.......hard to say, could go either way.

I forgot about bonuses, so yeah, I guess he could make that in one season.

Hopefully the new CBA clarifies that rule, and includes bonuses, because basically Weber will be paid more than 40% of the whole teams payroll, which really is astonishing.

I’m glad it’s not us. Spares me a year of trudging through all the “we need Weber and no price is too high” posts that would have surely flourished like weeds.

Not a cost effective signing. These type never are. Look at the Luango fiasco and how much it (will) cost us. We’ll get scraps for him or little more if we’re lucky—all because of fraacking term-- even though he’s easily worth a top 6 forward or top 4 D and then some.

Funny thing is the Luango contract may be the more sensible of the bunch simply because he’s a goalie--can be elite when close to 40. Few D’s are stellar past 36 and offensive forwards dry up even sooner. It has to do with the proactive nature of the position versus the much more reactive D (100% reactive for goalies). I pity the fools that will be paying the 2nd half portions of Parise, Hossa, etc. contracts, all the while choking on the cap hits.

The sooner the new CBA does away with this nonsense the better.

All I have to say is, WOW, Holmgren has the balls to make big moves. If NSH doesn't match, they just paved themselves a road out of the playoffs for the next couple of years. Philly is in a win/win situation, 4 low first rounders (26-30) for an elite franchise d-man, locked up for the rest of his career, either that or nothing happens at all.

Look at Parise and Suter.

They make 12 million and 10 million bonus year 1 - 22 million

Year 2: 12 million + 10 million signing bonus - another 22 million

Year 3: 11 million + 5 = 16 million.

Hugely front-loaded and perfectly legit. according to the current CBA.

Would it not make more sense for the Predators to match the offersheet, and then if need be go ahead and trade Weber in a year? As far as I know the only restriction on the Predators trading Weber after matching the offer sheet is that they retain him for one year; Weber is only 26 right now and will be only 27 next year. I'am sure there would be numerous teams who would line up to trade for Shea Weber in a year even if CBA changes; Weber is an All-Star Defencemen who is young!

The reason I think Nashville should match the offer sheet is

1) It shows other teams you won't be pushed over.

2) Their not having to spend the money on Suter.

3) If they end up having to trade Weber in a year because he is not happy with progress of franchise, I think the Predators would get a better return then the compensation they would get from offer sheet.

(Keep in mind although the maximum compensation the Preds could recieve is 4 first round draft picks under the CBA, there is a good liklihood that those end up being bottom first round draft picks as the Flyers look to be a competitive team for the foreseeable future.)

4) Keeps Fan Happy.

Dreger said ONE of the calendar years could be 26 million. Not YEAR ONE.

I think the only issue for Poile (despite him apparently saying he'll match anything) is money allocation. And if this is the case I think he says no

If the compensation is two - 1st rounders, a 2nd and 3rd.

Gillis traded approx. that in the Keith Ballard trade! (1st rounder, Grabner [who was a 1st rounder], Bernier [who was a 1st rounder] ). That's 3 first round picks right there for Keith Ballard. Gillis must have been in the midst of putting together an offer sheet for Weber, right? Surely, Weber is worth more than Keith Ballard, right?

Archived