Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

• Please log in to reply
1306 replies to this topic

#751 Nicklasjensen46

Nicklasjensen46

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:12 AM

cant see nashville letting him go. even with the draft pick compensation

My 2012 Canucks
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Kesler Hodgson
Sturm Malhotra Hansen
Sammuelson Lapiere Oreskovich

Hamhuis Bieska
Edler Salo
Tanev Ballard
Luongo Schnieder

#752 WestCoastCanucks

WestCoastCanucks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:48 AM

Well when you draft 4 times from 20-30, you`ve gotta think the odds of getting one elite player along the lines of a Perry, Kesler, Richards, or Giroux are good.

Schroeder won the rookie of the year award in college, is the all time leading scoring for the US in the world junior tournament, and won a gold medal for team USA. He has just as good of a track record in junior as Hodgson did.

Or Weber could get a concussion next season and be done. That`s the risk of ridiculously long-term contracts like this.

Or none of those draft picks pan out. With Weber you are getting a sure thing. His contract is very long but he hasn't shown to have any serious injury problems and he isn't really going to play all 14 years.
A defenseman of his caliber does not come around very often. He's a franchise defenseman and you can probably count on one hand how many of those there are in the league. And yes there is a possibility of getting a player like Kesler, Perry or Richards but those 3 guys were picked late in the first round in the deepest draft in NHL history. Not to mention it would take a few years for that player to develop when most teams want to win now.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#753 forklift_ole

forklift_ole

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:12 AM

14 year $100million? Are the Flyers totally batsh*t? You miss your next four first round picks, and then you're stuck with a guy with an completely untouchable contract. The Flyers are pretty good, but not miss their next four big prospects good. Not put-all-my-eggs-in-one-basket good.

There's no way I match that if I'm Nashville. I am a huge Shea Weber fan, and if I was in Nashville I'd be upset to see him leave, but I'd also be excited that my team was gonna be totally rebuilt with Flyers' picks.

14 years $100mil? That's a clown contract, man.

#754 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:58 AM

I match if I'm Poile. Those 1sts aren't nearly enough for Weber. Philly has a ton of great young players already they don't need those first round picks.

Holmgren sure is ballsy.

MGs downfall might end up being the Sedin contracts. No Player makes more than them which means in today's world the big names aren't available.
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#755 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:58 AM

HOLD ON 1 SECOND!!

Did he sign it or was he offered it?

Second, where the hell was MG?

(Oh yeah, he was to busy FISHING!!)

Vancouver has one of the worst prospect pools in the league. You really can't afford to hand out 4 1st rounders.

#756 Florence

Florence

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:16 AM

14 year $100million? Are the Flyers totally batsh*t? You miss your next four first round picks, and then you're stuck with a guy with an completely untouchable contract. The Flyers are pretty good, but not miss their next four big prospects good. Not put-all-my-eggs-in-one-basket good.

There's no way I match that if I'm Nashville. I am a huge Shea Weber fan, and if I was in Nashville I'd be upset to see him leave, but I'd also be excited that my team was gonna be totally rebuilt with Flyers' picks.

14 years $100mil? That's a clown contract, man.

I am going to disagree with you. You are viewing the situation as if it was the Canucks but the Flyers run that organization in a very different manor. Philadelphia has been trading there first round picks almost every year but they continue to overflow with young talented prospects.

Flyers trades under Homer where they gave up 1st round picks...

- 1st Round Pick for Versteeg
- Two 1st Round Picks and the previous years 1st Round Selection (Sbisa) for Pronger
- 1st Round Pick for Eminger

In 5 years as GM he has traded 4 of the Flyers 1st round picks. The one he didn't trade was the one in his 1st offseason the #2 overall selection of JVR (just traded). (He could also be credited with trading then 1st round prospect Steve Downie)

The Flyers simply don't need to hoard there 1st round picks. They still manage to get a lot of picks back from trades as well as prospects from trades not to mention they develop lower drafted and undrafted talent well. Nashville will likely just get 4 late 1st round selections and you may even see the Flyers draft higher in those years from trades.

As far as the 14 years goes people have said this every year about the Flyers also. They sign someone and they talk about how the contract will ruin them. But then someone like Pronger who doesn't make it to the end just ends up a career LTIR loophole, Carter and Richards are traded before they decay and have NTC's kick in. In addition those contracts were only huge back when they were signed the increasing cap made them more reasonable. Smaller contracts like Hatcher, Rathje, Lappy, all buried in LTIR. Bryz could end up getting the Huet treatment. Really no team is screwed from a huge contract. There are to many loopholes.

Everyone+knows+a+Sasha+gif+was+going+to+

#757 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:20 AM

Its a first round pick every year for four years.

they'd owe 2 firsts a second and a third if the 100 million over 14 years is accurate.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#758 Ray Canuck

Ray Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:22 AM

what a crappy start to this day
Weber took control of his future!
Obviously wanted a say in where he ends up, Nashville or Philly where his choices.
To bad MG wasn't in on it on some level, will we ever have a stud D-man?
Posted Image
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Mark Twain

#759 TheFastOne21

TheFastOne21

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

And the 2012 FA crazy signings continues. Thank you Kovalchuk (last ridiculous contract from previous years i remember) for ruining how this process pans out.

Good on Weber for basically taking matters into his own hands and cashing in on a big contract before the new CBA changes how it is done.

Good on Philly for replacing Pronger with an insane offer.

Good on Nashville for whatever they choose. A couple low 1st picks and a lot of cap space or a match and doom Weber to an eternity in Nashville where he will say he wants a trade every year and people.

This just blew my mind seeing this today.

#760 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:40 AM

I don't see why Nashville wouldn't instantly match this offer. Weren't they offering the Suter 13 years?

I really don't see any reason to not match. If Weber really wants out, he should have just waited for a trade.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#761 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

Not a wise move for Weber if Nashville decides to match.

#762 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:51 AM

Especially when Garrison played the right side all of last season, and was only a few goals behind Weber

No... he played on the right side on the power play... that is very different. He said in his first interview after being signed that he has hardly played on the right side in his entire hockey career.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#763 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:52 AM

Nick Kypreos@RealKyper
#Preds Weber offer sheet from #Flyers. 1st 4 yrs 1M salary+13M sb; yrs 5-6 4M sal+ 8Msb; yrs 7-10 6M sal; year 11 3M sal; last 3 yrs 1M sal

14 - 14 - 14 - 14 - 12 - 12 - 6 - 6 - 6 - 6 - 3 - 1 - 1 - 1

Edited by Sweatt_GLaNDs, 19 July 2012 - 06:55 AM.

Posted Image

#764 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

Man I wonder how bad Pronger's situation is right now.

#765 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:58 AM

Even if Philly gets this done, they still have a problem ... Bryz in net. A defenceman can only do so much.

#766 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:58 AM

Well when you draft 4 times from 20-30, you`ve gotta think the odds of getting one elite player along the lines of a Perry, Kesler, Richards, or Giroux are good.

That is an outright lie to try to make your argument or just plain ignorance on your part.

If you draft 4 times between 20-30 you are LIKELY to get 1 or 2 guys who make it to the NHL at all, possibly 1 who makes it to the top half of your roster... and the other guys never make it past the minors.... you are HIGHLY UNLIKELY to get an elite level player.

http://www.tsn.ca/fa...tory/?id=398986
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#767 canucktican

canucktican

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:02 AM

Wow! nashville's just having a bad off season

#768 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

Makes no sense.

Nashville will match and then Weber is stuck there.

Do you think Weber does not already know that Nashville will match. He is not STUCK in Nashville, he decided to stay there and this way he accelerates the process and forces Nashville's hand. This is HIS choice to sign that offersheet.Not everyone wants to play with the Sedins and Kesler OMG!!!! Has MG made Vancouver the destination that no prime FA wants to go to?

#769 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:07 AM

That contract is terrible for a goalie of that caliber.

Even if Philly gets this done, they still have a problem ... Bryz in net. A defenceman can only do so much.

#770 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:07 AM

Wow! nashville's just having a bad off season

How is that? Now they match and they lock up Weber for the rest of his carreer- how bad is that? Do you think they were hoping to lock him up for less money? Is that why you say it is bad? How much less then? Can't be much. Rinne is at $7 million a year. weber around $8 million, makes sense to me

#771 Ray Canuck

Ray Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

Nick Kypreos@RealKyper
#Preds Weber offer sheet from #Flyers. 1st 4 yrs 1M salary+13M sb; yrs 5-6 4M sal+ 8Msb; yrs 7-10 6M sal; year 11 3M sal; last 3 yrs 1M sal

14 - 14 - 14 - 14 - 12 - 12 - 6 - 6 - 6 - 6 - 3 - 1 - 1 - 1

Well this will make it harder for the Preds to match!
That's a lot of dough for the owners to come up with!
Posted Image
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Mark Twain

#772 Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:18 AM

How is that? Now they match and they lock up Weber for the rest of his carreer- how bad is that? Do you think they were hoping to lock him up for less money? Is that why you say it is bad? How much less then? Can't be much. Rinne is at $7 million a year. weber around $8 million, makes sense to me

Well I dunno if its going to be a slam dunk Nashville matches. Nashville is a very budget concious team. Rinnne only makes 7 millions a year....but weber in actual dollars, is going to get 14 million a year.

Him and Suter are good defensemen no doubt, but 100 million for each??? NO WAY. Nashville had Suter, Weber, and Hamhuis at one point and they never amounted to anything.

#773 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

Well this will make it harder for the Preds to match!
That's a lot of dough for the owners to come up with!

Nick Kypreos@RealKyper

If #Preds match #Flyers offer, they must keep him 1 calendar yr before trying to trade him. Oh and pay him 27M in meantime.#nothappening

Posted Image

#774 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

nashville will match and he was never coming and will never come here
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#775 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

That is the truth, but then who wants to stop canucks fan from dreaming? How often have you seen canucks projected line ups with parise and suter and weber! You can build a team through the draft and trades like LA or through FA like Philly. The LA model usually works better.

#776 LanghorneslimRules

LanghorneslimRules

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:37 AM

Nashville will match because if the flyers get weber and I know bryzgalov is a space cadet, but they will most likely still finish in the top 5 in the league this year and continue to be competitive at the very least for the next four, drafting 20-30 lets say. It makes no sense for nashville not to match because they could get crap from drafting and then look like tools.

#777 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

That is the truth, but then who wants to stop canucks fan from dreaming? How often have you seen canucks projected line ups with parise and suter and weber! You can build a team through the draft and trades like LA or through FA like Philly. The LA model usually works better.

#778 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

It will be 4 FIRST ROUND picks because you only divide by the first 5 years of the contract and the annual average you get is what determines the compensatory picks.

Having said that, 25-27th pick in the first round draft is not always a guaranteed success. Even you swing a home run on two of those 4 picks, a) that will bear fruit maybe 3,4,5 years down the line - not sure if Nashville is ready for a rebuild, or going from competing now mindset to build for the future mindset; B) the risk of letting go a superstar for not knowing what you'll get in return may not be worth it.

Nashville is currently about 13M under the cap floor. Even if they sign him for a year, I think he's still tradeable at a later point. His cap hit is lower than 8M. Would the Canucks not love to have Weber at below 8M for the next 10 years? He'll be worth more than 4 1st round picks in a trade.

#779 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

I wanted Weber but good on the flyers who have done this in the past.They have tried to do that to kesler and we matched.To bad the preds will match and now we wont have a chance,but I thought this would happen and I am shocked more GM's dont do this.
Posted Image

#780 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,637 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

What do people have against offer sheets? I know there taboo in this league. The same people have nothing wrong with Hamhuis and garrison signing as UFAs for less money. I'm more resentful at Gms for that. Much more of a cheap shot. Everything's within the RULES. Do you know what rules are? So what if not many gms practice or condone offer sheets? For guys like Weber they're excellent value. Gilly shoulda been in on this play and he should have offered more money. Our team shouldn't have patience. Weber on our team now is what we need. Who cares about 2 firsts and a third if we win the cup? He's a perennial Norris winner.

Because offer sheets can be matched, and it makes enemies of potential trade partners. It's not bold either, it's plain stupid. It plays into Nashville's hands and now they have pretty much the best defenseman in the NHL for over a decade if they want.

What does this say about owners who tell the NHLPA they want limits on contracts and front loading, then make a deal like this?
If people say these are the types of bold moves they like, then cheer for Toronto. They love throwing top ten picks draft picks at players. And we've seen how great that works out right? Maybe this will be a wake up call to Gillis to improve our scouts so we can DRAFT a player like Weber, instead of trying to offer sheet or sign them as UFA's.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.