Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1306 replies to this topic

#781 Spectacular

Spectacular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

Nick Kypreos@RealKyper
If #Preds match #Flyers offer, they must keep him 1 calendar yr before trying to trade him. Oh and pay him 27M in meantime.#nothappening

That 27 million is probably the biggest, if not, sole reason that Nashville won't match. This must be terrible for the Preds and Poile because it's up the ownership to see if they can or even want to fork over 27 million in one calender yearThey were a force this season but now have potentially lost 2 of the best defensemen in the game in one offseason.

Without Weber they're gonna be running a REALLY young defense:

Klein - Josi
Ellis - Gill
Eckholm - Blum

Posted ImagePosted Image

#782 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

last page

#783 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:49 AM

Do you think Weber does not already know that Nashville will match. He is not STUCK in Nashville, he decided to stay there and this way he accelerates the process and forces Nashville's hand. This is HIS choice to sign that offersheet.Not everyone wants to play with the Sedins and Kesler OMG!!!! Has MG made Vancouver the destination that no prime FA wants to go to?

If you want to overpay them they will come. Gillis doesnt own the team and maybe the guy that does said no more long term team crippling contracts like the one we are trying to get rid of.

#784 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

I think people should stop freaking out. For the Weber lovers out there, it is still possible that the Canucks end up with him next year summer (when we probably WOULD have given him an offer as a UFA).
I can't see Nashville NOT matching. 100m for 14 years is pretty much Suter type money that they offered. Say Nashville matches and Weber plays the next year in Nashville and they miss the playoffs or does not look like a contending team, I'm sure Weber can request a trade and you have to believe the Canucks would be on his list.
People thought that Lu's career would end as a Canuck after his massive contract but just a couple years later, we are running him out of town.
I know the immediate money is 26m in 1 calendar year but I'm sure Nashville will work something out.

#785 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

I disagree as the Flyers have done this before and have made big trades so giving offer sheets to the right players like a Weber scares nobody away as they just have the balls to do it.
Posted Image

#786 stuckinontario

stuckinontario

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

Wouldn't want Weber if it means taking on a contract like that. :shock:
Posted Image
Canucks brass, send scouts out to Ptbo!

#787 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,561 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

i wonder if this contract will stand, due to the new CBA limitations around the cap circumvention rules. could be interesting.

Edited by avelanch, 19 July 2012 - 08:05 AM.

#788 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:04 AM

Weber to Van was NEVER anything but a pipe dream

get him out of the West, good stuff.

This

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#789 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

Does anyone else find it ironic that the owners tabled a 5 year limit to contracts and then Philly goes out and does this?

Owners can't control themselves.

#790 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

Wow. I knew if he signed it would be close to Crosby money.

Polie is really backed into a corner but Weber may have given him an out with the massive contract.

I guess this is the biggest offersheet signed in history? Lol
Posted Image

#791 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

Weber will be a bargain ... in year 7!

Seriously, in 2019, $6m/yr will be like peanuts for a top dawg Dman. I know he would have made a billion by then but still, I wonder if players can think that far ahead.

Get the new CBA done this week, 5 year contracts max and every year the same amount.

#792 Florence

Florence

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

Philly's defensive size would be pretty outrageous with Weber.

Weber: 6'4 at 232
Schenn: 6'2 at 229
Coburn: 6'5 at 220
Grossmann: 6'3 at 227
Meszaros: 6'2 at 223

Then the little man..

Timonen: 5'10 at 194

Mako1_zpsa4tfuwwx.gif

#793 inCalgaryCANUCKSFAN

inCalgaryCANUCKSFAN

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

Does anyone else find it ironic that the owners tabled a 5 year limit to contracts and then Philly goes out and does this?

Owners can't control themselves.

Philly is smart to offer it now. Persay there is no new CBA contract in place and they are working off the old one and this contract is ok. I am going to assume that in the new CBA there will be a max number of years you can sign a player which will be adopted and the flyers see this as the time to get it done before that happens.

Nashville personally speaking is dumb to match this offer even if it is 2 first, 2nd, & 3rd round in return is better for them as a team that is in a smaller market this contract could cripple them.

#794 Gaunce

Gaunce

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

Can you imagine if Pronger somehow makes it back just in time for the playoffs? Pronger-Weber :shock: Holy hell...
Posted Image

#795 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

Makes no sense.

Nashville will match and then Weber is stuck there.

Clearly Weber priority is a long term contract and must be happy playing with either franchise
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#796 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

Makes no sense.

Nashville will match and then Weber is stuck there.

He's stuck there for only one year no?

Posted Image

#797 Florence

Florence

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

Can you imagine if Pronger somehow makes it back just in time for the playoffs? Pronger-Weber :shock: Holy hell...

The Flyers alternate logo

Posted Image

Mako1_zpsa4tfuwwx.gif

#798 Gaunce

Gaunce

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:25 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't Nashville trade Weber in the 7 days that they have to match?
Posted Image

#799 CanuckCupFever

CanuckCupFever

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

He's a RFA right now.

$1,110,249 or below - No Compensation
Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 - 3rd round pick
Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 - 2nd round pick
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick, 3rd
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 - 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd
Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 - Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd
Over $8,410,976 - Four 1st Round Picks

http://www.pensionpl...le-offer-sheets

AAV of $7.14 million, so two 1st round picks, 2nd, and 3rd. Not bad. Why didn't MG do this?

Becuase it is ludacris!
Posted Image
<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Credit to VC for the awesome sig!<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<!--quoteo(post=7599812:date=Aug 3 2009, 10:20 AM:name=Lenny Jones)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lenny Jones @ Aug 3 2009, 10:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=7599812"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->watch this: Canucks looking to Trade Luongo to New York (e5)
Now i'm just as good as eklund!!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#800 CanuckCupFever

CanuckCupFever

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't Nashville trade Weber in the 7 days that they have to match?

No
Posted Image
<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Credit to VC for the awesome sig!<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<!--quoteo(post=7599812:date=Aug 3 2009, 10:20 AM:name=Lenny Jones)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lenny Jones @ Aug 3 2009, 10:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=7599812"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->watch this: Canucks looking to Trade Luongo to New York (e5)

#801 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

Although we're still part of the old CBA, can't the NHL still reject the offer if it's too crazy or something? Isn't that what they did with Kovalchuk?

#802 CanuckCupFever

CanuckCupFever

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

If Preds match then Weber will be there for 14 years
Posted Image

#803 Line Juggler

Line Juggler

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

No that's a "BOLD" move!

What would you guys think if Gillis had done that?
Posted Image

#804 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

No, if the Preds match, they can't trade him for one year. But if they match, that would mean that they have to pay Weber 27M in one calendar year, 26M of which will be a lump sum payment next July 1. There is no way they make such a big commitment to him, only to trade him right after that.

He's a Pred or a Flyer at this point. Time to give up the dream.

#805 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

Although we're still part of the old CBA, can't the NHL still reject the offer if it's too crazy or something? Isn't that what they did with Kovalchuk?

They can, but since the Kovy deal there are guidelines to go by that outline what is legal and what isn't, so I'm sure the Flyers drew up the contract within them.

#806 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

I think people should stop freaking out. For the Weber lovers out there, it is still possible that the Canucks end up with him next year summer (when we probably WOULD have given him an offer as a UFA).
I can't see Nashville NOT matching. 100m for 14 years is pretty much Suter type money that they offered. Say Nashville matches and Weber plays the next year in Nashville and they miss the playoffs or does not look like a contending team, I'm sure Weber can request a trade and you have to believe the Canucks would be on his list.
People thought that Lu's career would end as a Canuck after his massive contract but just a couple years later, we are running him out of town.
I know the immediate money is 26m in 1 calendar year but I'm sure Nashville will work something out.

Why do you pay Weber 25% of his contract for one year of play and then deal him?? The return would have to be astronomical.

What is likely going to happen is Poile and Homgren will work out a trade this week for Weber. This offer sheet was probably done to force the trade. The return for Poile will likely be pretty good. It will be better than 4 1st round picks. He can negotiate with Holmgren all week.

#807 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:34 AM

:picard:
Posted Image

#808 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,942 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

Shea Weber wasn't ever going to be a Canuck, so him being a Flyer? Meh. Or him being a Pred? Status quo.

Life goes on.
Posted Image

#809 I R Baboon

I R Baboon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

lp

#810 MikeBossy

MikeBossy

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

I'm a little confused here (and yes doesn't take much to do that) but how the hell do you front load a contract like that - 27 mil in the first year? Whats the difference between this contract and the one New Jersey did with Kovalchuk? Anyone - anyone at all that feels sorry for owners and is siding with them in the current negotiations needs to look no farther than Philly to see these idiots can't control themselves even with a salary cap. Personally I think the league needs to null and void this contract - I thought in no year could the salary exceed the max you could pay a player under the CBA - apparently thats not the case.

Don't get me wrong - I love the fact Weber is going East (and he was never going to be a Canuck folks) and Philly can sign all the D men they like but until they solve their goaltending problem they are going nowhere.

Weber (if he leaves) just made the West a little bit easier for the Canucks :D
14ki2wz.jpg

Thanks to Vintage Canuck for the awesome sig :)

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.