The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

Where were those timely goals this year?

At the end of the day, We lost in the finals, so did New Jersey. Both teams were outscored.

Also, a big chunk of our goals during our run in the playoffs in 2011 came against San Jose. Goals were a little harder to come by against the other teams.

Not really. Suter and Parise are only making 22 because they are getting a 10 million signing bonus already, then 2 million for the season, and then July 1 next year another 10 million signing bonus, so its 22 million over one calendar year.

Not to insult you, but you don`t even need to play hockey to know that it`s easier to play the puck on your forehand.

The Canucks have had one of the highest scoring/lowest goals against D-cores in the league the last couple seasons. So I would say not having another right handed D-man isn;t that big of a deal.

Garrison actually can play the right side BTW and has excelled there.

That was a good run, but it's not happening again without some more consistent scoring.

Yea but all of this seems to be based on the assumption that Nashville doesn't match...

Nashville will match so why are we even pretending that we had a shot at him?

It was a bold move by Philly but ultimately it will be a fail.

If the Canucks still wanna acquire him, there's a good chance that Nashville will trade him if they can't afford him. Unfortunately the cost will be much higher than 4 1st round picks.

Can't nashville just match and then trade weber to the highest bidder since it won't include a ntc/nmc? They'd get way more than two firsts, a second and a third.

?

Edit: I don't if this has been discussed. I'm on my phone and didn't read the whole thread!

Then you should know that a left D can't just switch to the right side and be effective. It's extremely difficult.

This is a huge deal and I'm going to be fascinated to see how the coaches deal with it.

No Garrison has not excelled there. I heard him say on the radio that he hasn't played there much.

I would bet that adding weber would increase our scoring.

Well when you draft 4 times from 20-30, you`ve gotta think the odds of getting one elite player along the lines of a Perry, Kesler, Richards, or Giroux are good.

Schroeder won the rookie of the year award in college, is the all time leading scoring for the US in the world junior tournament, and won a gold medal for team USA. He has just as good of a track record in junior as Hodgson did.

Or Weber could get a concussion next season and be done. That`s the risk of ridiculously long-term contracts like this.

14 year $100million? Are the Flyers totally batsh*t? You miss your next four first round picks, and then you're stuck with a guy with an completely untouchable contract. The Flyers are pretty good, but not miss their next four big prospects good. Not put-all-my-eggs-in-one-basket good.

There's no way I match that if I'm Nashville. I am a huge Shea Weber fan, and if I was in Nashville I'd be upset to see him leave, but I'd also be excited that my team was gonna be totally rebuilt with Flyers' picks.

14 years $100mil? That's a clown contract, man.

I match if I'm Poile. Those 1sts aren't nearly enough for Weber. Philly has a ton of great young players already they don't need those first round picks.

Holmgren sure is ballsy.

MGs downfall might end up being the Sedin contracts. No Player makes more than them which means in today's world the big names aren't available.

14 year $100million? Are the Flyers totally batsh*t? You miss your next four first round picks, and then you're stuck with a guy with an completely untouchable contract. The Flyers are pretty good, but not miss their next four big prospects good. Not put-all-my-eggs-in-one-basket good.

There's no way I match that if I'm Nashville. I am a huge Shea Weber fan, and if I was in Nashville I'd be upset to see him leave, but I'd also be excited that my team was gonna be totally rebuilt with Flyers' picks.

14 years $100mil? That's a clown contract, man.

what a crappy start to this day

Weber took control of his future!

Obviously wanted a say in where he ends up, Nashville or Philly where his choices.

To bad MG wasn't in on it on some level, will we ever have a stud D-man?

And the 2012 FA crazy signings continues. Thank you Kovalchuk (last ridiculous contract from previous years i remember) for ruining how this process pans out.

Good on Weber for basically taking matters into his own hands and cashing in on a big contract before the new CBA changes how it is done.

Good on Philly for replacing Pronger with an insane offer.

Good on Nashville for whatever they choose. A couple low 1st picks and a lot of cap space or a match and doom Weber to an eternity in Nashville where he will say he wants a trade every year and people.

This just blew my mind seeing this today.

Archived