The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

I think people should stop freaking out. For the Weber lovers out there, it is still possible that the Canucks end up with him next year summer (when we probably WOULD have given him an offer as a UFA).

I can't see Nashville NOT matching. 100m for 14 years is pretty much Suter type money that they offered. Say Nashville matches and Weber plays the next year in Nashville and they miss the playoffs or does not look like a contending team, I'm sure Weber can request a trade and you have to believe the Canucks would be on his list.

People thought that Lu's career would end as a Canuck after his massive contract but just a couple years later, we are running him out of town.

I know the immediate money is 26m in 1 calendar year but I'm sure Nashville will work something out.

I'm a little confused here (and yes doesn't take much to do that) but how the hell do you front load a contract like that - 27 mil in the first year? Whats the difference between this contract and the one New Jersey did with Kovalchuk? Anyone - anyone at all that feels sorry for owners and is siding with them in the current negotiations needs to look no farther than Philly to see these idiots can't control themselves even with a salary cap. Personally I think the league needs to null and void this contract - I thought in no year could the salary exceed the max you could pay a player under the CBA - apparently thats not the case.

Don't get me wrong - I love the fact Weber is going East (and he was never going to be a Canuck folks) and Philly can sign all the D men they like but until they solve their goaltending problem they are going nowhere.

Weber (if he leaves) just made the West a little bit easier for the Canucks :D

Why do you pay Weber 25% of his contract for one year of play and then deal him?? The return would have to be astronomical.

What is likely going to happen is Poile and Homgren will work out a trade this week for Weber. This offer sheet was probably done to force the trade. The return for Poile will likely be pretty good. It will be better than 4 1st round picks. He can negotiate with Holmgren all week.

If you're Poile, you have to look long and hard at 4 1st round picks as compensation (as is speculated by TSN). Not sure what Phily have on their current roster/system that would be better than that unless you're getting Giroux and B. Schenn - those would be the ONLY guys I would want from PHI.

I'm a little confused here (and yes doesn't take much to do that) but how the hell do you front load a contract like that - 27 mil in the first year? Whats the difference between this contract and the one New Jersey did with Kovalchuk? Anyone - anyone at all that feels sorry for owners and is siding with them in the current negotiations needs to look no farther than Philly to see these idiots can't control themselves even with a salary cap. Personally I think the league needs to null and void this contract - I thought in no year could the salary exceed the max you could pay a player under the CBA - apparently thats not the case.

Don't get me wrong - I love the fact Weber is going East (and he was never going to be a Canuck folks) and Philly can sign all the D men they like but until they solve their goaltending problem they are going nowhere.

It's one calendar year, not one season, that he gets 27m. He'll get a huge signing bonus when the contract becomes official and then another one next July 1st, 2013.

Kovy's contract took him to age 44, this takes Weber to age 40, and I think the limit that was set after the Kovy deal was age 41. This contract seems legal, I'm sure Philly did their due diligence.

Hopefully Nashville doesn't match, they miss the playoffs for the next few years and move the team to Quebec, or contract it with some other sad-sack franchise like the Dallas Stars. So sick of these cash-poor teams dragging down the rest of the league.

Archived