The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports

Bouquet tells CKWX he won't get into what the #Canucks offered for Weber but VAN was 1 of 6 teams under serious consideration

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports

So there you go, the #Canucks have it their best shot to land Weber but come up short.

I'm dissapointed this is the 2nd time this offseason we've come up short.

My question to everyone is, can the Canucks still do a deal with the preds and match the offer sheet?

Does anyone know?

I never thought Weber would be coming here after I saw the crazy contracts this offseason.

Players are trying to cash in = no one gets paid more than the twins on our team

Players are looking for long contracts = Luongo's contract taught us a lesson

lets make it more attractive for younger players to play here. there seems to be a black cloud in Vancouver's horizon.

So he doesn't owe the Preds for drafting him, putting time and money into his development, providing him an awesome farm team to develop on, awesome D partners to play with, and making him a captain and the face of the Predators?

I would say that's pretty cold if he feels that way. You think Burrows would ever say that about the Canucks organization?

I have no problem with him wanting to leave. I just don't believe in trying to leave his team the way he did. Just my opinion.

I honestly believe Doan will give Phoenix every last chance to bring him back, but if things go sour, yea there's a possibility he could leave. I still think that's the less likely outcome though.

if I'm Poile I'd match it and then trade him after the one year NTC period to bring back many young assets. Sure, he has the cap space now, but if there are several young players who can come back the other way and help fill other roster gaps then he could really win long-term.

If Howson thinks Nash is worth 4 roster players (which he's not, he's worth less than Weber) then I wonder what kind of package Shea could get dealt for! :frantic:

It doesn`t matter who previous GM`s have drafted, it matters who Gillis has drafted.

Pretending that we still had Hodgson, would you trade Hodgson, Schroeder, Jensen, and Gaunce for Weber? Those are Gillis's 4 1st round picks so far, so that's the calibre of players we would likely have to give up.

I wouldn't. But I don't think there's a price that anyone wouldn't pay for Weber based on some of these posts.

So I guess we should just offer up Kesler, Edler, Burrows, Ballard, and Kassian for Weber next summer.

*that* close.

And this coming season I think we can get that close again, with a couple moves.

I think Nashville has to match, as much as it will screw them financially. It sets the wrong precedent if they don't retain their best player ever. And filling those seats will become quite a challenge without Webs.

It was bad timing for Shea to be entering his final year of RFA in the same year as the CBA is expiring since even though the Canucks admitted to thinking of signing Weber to a 1-year offersheet (something I've been clamoring for for a few years now), a 1-year offersheet might not have sprung him lose since the NHL is trying to raise the age of UFA.

In Nashville 'the money is there' if the season continues as planned. But in the case of a lockout, is the money still there to cover Weber's insane signing bonus(es)?

The reason the offer hasn't been matched instantly is that it's going to be tough for Nashville ownership to swallow that cost, esp. while not bringing in any income during a probable lockout.

Perhaps they're lobbying the NHL to invalidate Philly's offersheet, seeing as $1mil actual salary seems pretty low for a player of Weber's stature.

Perhaps they're working the numbers to see if they can actually afford to keep Weber.

Or perhaps they're working on a match and trade scenario, although they'd still be on the hook for a lot of immediate cash with this existing offer. They can trade to Philly still though?

I hope Nashville matches, but it's not 100% certain.

Archived