The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

Let's say Nashville were unable to match this contract. Could they still trade Weber to us before the deadline for our 1st rounders and let's say Hansen?

we then match that 14 yrs offer from Philly and trade Edler to them for 2 of their top youngsters. (Courtourier, Schenn, etc)

Let's say Nashville were unable to match this contract. Could they still trade Weber to us before the deadline for our 1st rounders and let's say Hansen?

we then match that 14 yrs offer from Philly and trade Edler to them for 2 of their top youngsters. (Courtourier, Schenn, etc)

In Nashville 'the money is there' if the season continues as planned. But in the case of a lockout, is the money still there to cover Weber's insane signing bonus(es)?

The reason the offer hasn't been matched instantly is that it's going to be tough for Nashville ownership to swallow that cost, esp. while not bringing in any income during a probable lockout.

Perhaps they're lobbying the NHL to invalidate Philly's offersheet, seeing as $1mil actual salary seems pretty low for a player of Weber's stature.

Perhaps they're working the numbers to see if they can actually afford to keep Weber.

Or perhaps they're working on a match and trade scenario, although they'd still be on the hook for a lot of immediate cash with this existing offer. They can trade to Philly still though?

I hope Nashville matches, but it's not 100% certain.

I never thought Weber would be coming here after I saw the crazy contracts this offseason.

Players are trying to cash in = no one gets paid more than the twins on our team

Players are looking for long contracts = Luongo's contract taught us a lesson

lets make it more attractive for younger players to play here. there seems to be a black cloud in Vancouver's horizon.

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports

Bouquet tells CKWX he won't get into what the #Canucks offered for Weber but VAN was 1 of 6 teams under serious consideration

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports

So there you go, the #Canucks have it their best shot to land Weber but come up short.

I'm dissapointed this is the 2nd time this offseason we've come up short.

My question to everyone is, can the Canucks still do a deal with the preds and match the offer sheet?

Does anyone know?

The only chance we have in getting this guy is if the Preds match and trade him the following year.

Tough pill to swallow for the Preds considering the ridiculous signing bonus for year one. But I see that as their best option to get some players back unless Philly hands them over someone during this 7 day period.

Nashville is backed into a corner and has got to match. It'll cost them steeply, but it is the message they have to send, it will give them a year to right themselves, it will give their fans a boost of morale after losing Suter, it will keep them more competitive in the short run, and most importantly they can then turn around and deal Weber in a year if they want, and make someone pay - bigtime.

Of course - they have the option of forcing Philly to let go of assets now if they want Weber.

If I am Poile, I tell the Flyers the price is Couturier, Simmonds, Vorachek, Coburn and a 1st - or we match and you can puck...

There is no way the 4 picks are worth losing the player.

They won't even get to choose the first player until 2013 and it will be 2016 before they choose the fourth player.

Picking at about 25th, you would expect a couple years development time at least before they crack your NHL lineup.

As shown above, you could not get anywhere close to Weber's value by trading the 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 approximately 25th or worse picks.

It is not the picks.

It is the money and term, and whether the league approves the deal.

If the league approves the deal, and Nashville still lets Weber go, they did not want to pay the money (they probably are ok with the long term).

This is what Weber has shown Nashville; that they were not offering fair market value.

I believe Nashville will match the offer and I think that Canucks management thinks so as well.

Vancouver believes Nashville will match any offer so they did not want to create a bad relationship for no return.

Why are people saying the compensation will be four 1st rounders????

From wiki...last years offersheet compensations was...

$7,835,220 and above = Four first-round picks

Rumored that the Offersheet is $110M over 14 years = $7,857,142.

The Salary Cap went up from $64M to $70M. So the Offersheet Compensation numbers might also go up as well.

The compensation may very well be only two 1st, one second, and one third round pick.

If that is the case...Nashville has to match as that is a poor return for Weber.

He's a RFA right now.

$1,110,249 or below - No Compensation

Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 - 3rd round pick

Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 - 2nd round pick

Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick, 3rd

Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 - 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd

Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 - Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd

Over $8,410,976 - Four 1st Round Picks

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2012/6/26/3117738/2012-13-NHL-Restricted-Free-Agencyrfa-compensation-table-offer-sheets

AAV of $7.14 million, so two 1st round picks, 2nd, and 3rd. Not bad. Why didn't MG do this?

I didn't realize Edler had as many points as Weber - with fewer goals and 3 more games played albeit.

I'm not trying to say Edler is as good as Weber, he clearly isn't. Poorer defensive play, a lower shooting percentage and lack of consistency is mainly what separates him from Weber. Plus he was downright awful in his most recent playoff outing, for whatever reason that may be. But if he plays close enough to his potential, not paying up for Weber and avoiding a potential mess with the rest of the team may be worth it.

Why are people saying the compensation will be four 1st rounders????

From wiki...last years offersheet compensations was...

$7,835,220 and above = Four first-round picks

Rumored that the Offersheet is $110M over 14 years = $7,857,142.

The Salary Cap went up from $64M to $70M. So the Offersheet Compensation numbers might also go up as well.

The compensation may very well be only two 1st, one second, and one third round pick.

If that is the case...Nashville has to match as that is a poor return for Weber.

Regardless of the compensation, Nashville should match - just to prove a point. They can always trade him next year, and I'm sure they could get a much better return.

It will be interesting to see how the cap hits under the next CBA works if the cap drops substantially on these types of contracts.

I didn't realize Edler had as many points as Weber - with fewer goals and 3 more games played albeit.

I'm not trying to say Edler is as good as Weber, he clearly isn't. Poorer defensive play, a lower shooting percentage and lack of consistency is mainly what separates him from Weber. Plus he was downright awful in his most recent playoff outing, for whatever reason that may be. But if he plays close enough to his potential, not paying up for Weber and avoiding a potential mess with the rest of the team may be worth it.

Archived