The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

All I am saying is that he could have got a lot more than nothing for Suter and just 4 very late first rounders for arguably the best D man in the NHL

Yes, he can't control the purse strings but he should have had the foresight that Suter was probably going to walk and Weber would sign an offer sheet. It seems now that the Preds GM is screwed

I would almost bet that the Flyers are offering more than the current 4 x 1st rounders to Nashville to let him go. I would also almost bet that Voracek is part of that offer.

I suggested this earlier, but if you really want to make things fun for Philly, give Voracek an offer sheet so Philly only has the option of match and keep him for the year or let him go.

::D

Starting to feel like Preds wont match.

I think a lot of it also has to do with the possibility of a lockout. The Preds arent exactly bathing in cash money, and if they were to sign Weber to that massive contract, they would be even less financially flexible. In the case of a lockout, they would still have to pay Weber, but they would have to do so without making money from ticket sales etc.

If Philadelphia lands him, I will be quite frustrated. Canucks COULD have and SHOULD have done what the Flyers did. Yes we are strapped cap wise, but that is only because Gillis is taking forever and more to trade Luongo.

If Luongo is back with the canucks next season, it will be embarrassing and awkward.

So you think Brian Burke signing Jeff Finger and Komisarek for 4 mil+ is worse?

The Islanders signing Yashin and Dipietro to 20 year contracts is better?

Pierre Gautheir who traded for Gomez while giving up McDonaugh+ is better?

Glen Sather signing Wade Redden to a monster deal better?

Get real, there are plenty of GM worse than Poile. I bet if Gillis only had like 40 mil to work with and had to ice a playoff team, he wouldn't be able to do it.

If Philadelphia lands him, I will be quite frustrated. Canucks COULD have and SHOULD have done what the Flyers did. Yes we are strapped cap wise, but that is only because Gillis is taking forever and more to trade Luongo.

According to HockeyyInsiderr (not credible) Preds are willing to let Weber go to Philly for the Schenn Brothers. And apparently he will announce it tomorrow. Like I said, not from a credible source though.-

Even without Weber I don't see Nashville as being bad enough to end up last. They most likely wouldn't make the playoffs, but their goaltending is too good to end up in dead last.

They still have to add 14 mil in salary too which will make them at least a solid team still. Expect them to revert back to their defensive trap play though.

Guest Dasein

Even without Weber I don't see Nashville as being bad enough to end up last. They most likely wouldn't make the playoffs, but their goaltending is too good to end up in dead last.

They still have to add 14 mil in salary too which will make them at least a solid team still. Expect them to revert back to their defensive trap play though.

Well, let's say they don't - who is bad enough to be worse than them in this league? Looking at the bottom 5 teams from this year - Columbus, Edmonton, Montreal, New York Islanders, Toronto Maple Leafs - I would say only Columbus would be worse than Nashville at the moment. IF Nash is traded, I reckon that might change with the pieces they get in return.

I think even if they don't finish dead last, they will finish in the bottom 5 - that's a lottery pick in the top 5 of 2012. Not only that, they'll have Philadelphia's 1st round pick (25-30) in their pocket, and 2 1st round picks in the next 3 years. I think Nashville could package 2-4 1st round picks (either of their own or PHI's in the next 3 years) and their top 5 pick in 2012 for the 1st overall pick to get MacKinnon. If not, they'll still have a solid prospect in their pocket with their own pick, and maybe try again for Ekblad the next season, or McDavid in the next.

People all say that PHI's 4 1st round picks will be useless, but fact is, without Weber (and Suter), NSH's 4 1st round picks in the future will become lottery picks, and they'll have a 1st round pick to trade for each year to either move up or for a roster player.

It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be if NSH ends up with a couple lottery picks and rebuild their team from here on out. IMO, if they can't afford Weber, this wouldn't be a bad way to go.

If they keep him its the end of Preds hockey in Nashville just as much as if they don't keep him. This offer sheet, and the Captain accepting it has put a fork in the Nashville Predators....if the owner is smart he will take the 4 1sts, let the GM go and work it out through free agency and drafting, while saving 26m in costs for ONE PLAYER in a 23 man team over the next year where the NHL may or may not play.

If they keep him its the end of Preds hockey in Nashville just as much as if they don't keep him. This offer sheet, and the Captain accepting it has put a fork in the Nashville Predators....if the owner is smart he will take the 4 1sts, let the GM go and work it out through free agency and drafting, while saving 26m in costs for ONE PLAYER in a 23 man team over the next year where the NHL may or may not play.

Thing is the way the contract is structured it won't help the Preds reach the cap floor, most of the money is signing bonuses and I don't think they are part of the cap calculations.

This offer sheet was 100% constructed to inflict max hurt on Nashville should they match.

Thing is the way the contract is structured it won't help the Preds reach the cap floor, most of the money is signing bonuses and I don't think they are part of the cap calculations.

This offer sheet was 100% constructed to inflict max hurt on Nashville should they match.

Archived