• 4,734 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

I'm going to add some more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nnYRhanK3XA

Man tears were shed.

That is fracking heartwarming

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#35 Mr. Shakermaker

Mr. Shakermaker

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,321 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image'

Posted Image
^ Forest fire in Australia

homeless people shouldn't be allowed to have dogs. The animals simply don't get the care they need or deserve, and most of all, they often have the dog in order to garner sympathy/more money from people while panhandling
Posted Image

#36 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

POPULAR

homeless people shouldn't be allowed to have dogs. The animals simply don't get the care they need or deserve, and most of all, they often have the dog in order to garner sympathy/more money from people while panhandling

I don't know about that, I think it's more that, their dog is all they have and they'll hold onto it no matter what.

If I was homeless and I had my dog with me, I'd feel a little better because it's companionship that not a lot of homeless people have

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#37 TheClumsyGoalie

TheClumsyGoalie

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

I cried

#38 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,703 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

POPULAR

Tell that to the dogs that every day are getting put down because no one will adopt them away from a shelter.
I always stop for someone that has a dog and I have never seen a poorly treated street dog.

#39 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,366 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

Awesome thread OP! Much needed lift for me. :)
Posted Image

#40 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

Anything with animals always seems to strike more of a chord with me than things with people.
Don't know what it is.
Posted Image

#41 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:43 PM

Dog sees his owner for the first time after coming back from the military: Just beautiful

MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#42 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:51 PM

This thread is making my face wet.
Posted Image

#43 dirk diggler

dirk diggler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

Posted Image
"If I claim to be a wise man it surely means that I don't know..."

#44 dirk diggler

dirk diggler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#45 whysoserious

whysoserious

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:26 AM

Posted Image

#46 dirk diggler

dirk diggler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

UPDATE: Elephants Who Appeared To Mourn Their Human Friend Remain Protected

Posted Image
July 25, 2012

Back in March, Lawrence Anthony, a conservationist and author known as "The Elephant Whisperer", passed away. After his death, although they were not alerted to the event, a group of wild elephants Anthony helped to rescue and rehabilitate travelled to his house in the South African province of KwaZulu-Natal. Theystood around the house in an apparent vigil for two days, and then dispersed. Today, the elephants are "completely wild and doing fine" according to Graham Spence, Anthony's brother-in-law and co-author of three books.
At Thula Thula, the reserve where Anthony lived and where the elephants are today, his son Dylan Anthony continues his father's work through the Earth Organization, which Lawrence founded in 1998. Dylan is also continuing his father's legacy with another wildlife project in a rural area called Camperdown outside Durban, South Africa.
In April, the University of KwaZulu-Natal's College of Agriculture, Engineering and Science posthumously awarded Lawrence an honorary Doctor of Science degree. Dylan spoke about his father at that event. You can see the speech he gave below (Dylan's speech begins at 2:22):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54JJHO-mNVk&feature=player_detailpage

In his speech, Dylan talks about the passionate environmental advocacy his father focused his life on: "Underlying everything Lawrence did was a clear understanding that education is the key to success in reversing mankind's ill-advised and reckless actions where they result in environmental deterioration and the endangerment and loss of species". He also describes his father's "extraordinary depth" and "his love of people, love of adventure, his love of animals, his infectious laugh, and his piercing sense of humour".
As for the elephants that Lawrence Anthony worked so hard to save, Spence says they are in great spirits at the moment: "The elephants at Thula Thula are completely wild and doing fine, especially with the good rains over the summer". Spence added that he suspects, "without being overly over-the-top, that the fact they all trooped up to his house the night he died could in some unfathomable way indicate they know he has gone, and accept it as all things that come to pass".

Saying Goodbye: Elephants Hold Apparent Vigil To Mourn Their Human Friend - May 14, 2012
Lawrence Anthony was a conservationist and author known as "The Elephant Whisperer"who passed away on March 2nd. In 1999, Anthony rescued and rehabilitated a group of wild South African elephants who were deemed dangerous. And the animals appear to remember what he did for them: when Anthony passed away, a group of elephants visited his house in the South African KwaZulu for a two-day vigil, according to his family.
Posted Image
A line of elephants approaching the Anthony house

Anthony, who grew up in rural Zimbabwe, Zambia and Malawi, was known for his unique ability to communicate with and calm traumatized elephants. In his book 'The Elephant Whisperer: My Life with the Herd in the African Wild', he tells the story of saving the elephant herds, at the request of an animal welfare organization.
Anthony concluded that the only way he could save these elephants, who were categorized as violent and unruly, was to live with them - "To save their lives, I would stay with them, feed them, talk to them. But, most importantly, be with them day and night".
When Anthony died of a heart attack, the elephants, who were grazing miles away in different parts of the park, travelled over 12 hours to reach his house. According to his son Jason, both herds arrived shortly after Anthony's death. They hadn't visited the compound where Anthony lived for a year and a half, but Jason says "in coming up there on that day of all days, we certainly believe that they had sensed it".
Posted Image
Anthony with some members of the herd

While it's hard to say how they could have sensed that Anthony had died, elephants are known for their grieving rituals, both in the wild and in captivity. According to many researchers, elephants grieve the deaths of their relatives, as when a child or parent dies.
To find out more about Anthony's life and work - among his many achievements are the founding of conservation group The Earth Organization in 2003, and rushing to the Baghdad Zoo to protect the animals that remained alive there after the American invasion of Iraq - check out his obituary in the New York Times.
For another look at the emotional bonds that elephants may experience with one another, this short documentary details the experience of two elephants, Shirley Jenny, who were reunited after over 20 years of being apart. They went on to live together for 6 yearsbefore Jenny's death in 2006, at which time Shirley remained alone in the woods and didn't eat for two days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28E2EKBlr0k&feature=player_embedded

Elephants around the world are at risk due to human interference, according to travel writer Diana Edelman. While seeing an elephant up close, or even riding one, is an exciting prospect for a lot of tourists, Edelman points out that many of the elephants available to ride in Thailand have been victims of abuse during their training. In this blog post, she details the abuses that often occur during the training of elephants in that country.

http://www.cbc.ca/st...man-friend.html

#47 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

Great story about the elephants, thanks for that.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#48 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,703 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:31 PM

#49 That's What She Said

That's What She Said

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

I've been involved in animal rescue for years and I can honestly say that homeless people actually make better pet owners than most people. Yes, they often need help providing food and vet care but they also spend all their time with their animals. Whereas the average person has to leave their pet 8-10 hours alone during the work week. Plus I have seen so many people abandon their pets because they say they can't afford it, yet they roll up to the shelter in a BMW or Mercedes, decorated from head to toe with LV and Gucci. There's a lot more to being a pet owner than just having money.
Why not Zoidberg? (\/)(°,,,°)(\/)

#50 SAnuck

SAnuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:50 AM

Shed a lot of tears and not afraid to say it. Just incredible. Thanks soo much for the posts guys!

#51 dirk diggler

dirk diggler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:20 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WibmcsEGLKo

On a personal note, my dog is snoring right now and it's pretty much the cutest thing I have ever heard.

Edited by dirk diggler, 28 July 2012 - 01:24 AM.

#52 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

I'm going to add some more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOHkRk00iI8&feature=player_embedded

The dude at 1:45 does not restore my faith in humanity. :picard:
Posted Image

#53 dirk diggler

dirk diggler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

^^ haha yeah well no need to focus on one douche :)

#54 Mr. Shakermaker

Mr. Shakermaker

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,321 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

Tell that to the dogs that every day are getting put down because no one will adopt them away from a shelter.
I always stop for someone that has a dog and I have never seen a poorly treated street dog.

Oh I see you travel around with homeless people during your down time and view how they treat their animals! I concede my earlier comments. If you can't afford to feed yourself, how can you afford to feed your dog or get them shots?

Edited by Mr. Shakermaker, 29 July 2012 - 08:05 PM.

Posted Image

#55 dirk diggler

dirk diggler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

This thread isn't really a place for cynicism or criticism of the homeless (1000s of other threads for that) so try and contribute in the spirit of which it's intended or kindly move along quietly.

#56 dirk diggler

dirk diggler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

#57 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:48 AM

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#58 dirk diggler

dirk diggler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

This thread needs a BUMP!

#59 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,710 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=9D05ej8u-gU

Neil DeGrasse Tyson is awesome.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#60 dirk diggler

dirk diggler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:13 PM

^^I totally agree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.