The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who's better Raymond or Hansen

smokes

Raymond or Hansen?  

270 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just wanted to see what this board's opinion is. Considering they both came through the Canuck's system and spent their careers in Vancouver. Which player in your opinion has become more of a valuable player to the Canucks organization?

Jannik Hansen

drafted 9th round 287 overall 2004

271 games played 40 goals 64 assists 104 points regular season

54 games 5 goals 9 assists 14 points playoffs

Mason Raymond

drafted 2nd round, 51st overall 2005

328 games 70 goals 86 assists 156 points regular season

51 games 7 goals 9 points 16 points playoffs

I can't even believe anyone has to ask this question, because it's easily Hansen without a doubt. He hits, scores, backchecks, agitates, shows up big in important games, and never takes a single shift off. Not one of those factors can be applied to Raymond on almost any given night. Hansen's my favourite player, and he embodies what this team is based on: a good amount of skill combined with a lot of hard work.

Both players work their asses off, but Hansen is way better at his job than Raymond is at his...

Raymond is SUPPOSE to be a top 6 forward, scoring 20 goals a year, but has been very inconsistent.. While Hansen is a bottom 6 player, BUT he's a player who can play in any situation, can challenge the opponents best players, and can even put up some points.

I'm WAY more comfortable with Hansen on the ice than Raymond.. Hansen is able to shutdown the Datsyuk's and Malkin's of the league...

I know its trendy to hate on Raymond, but I think he is still a better player. If Hansen was a better player he would be the one playing top 6.

But of course, Raymond is the CDC whipping boy, so that means he is a horrible player, right?

Hansen. The honey badger is a ferocious checker, great at killing penalties, tough to play against in the corners and doesn't go invisible in the Playoffs. Basically, everything Raymond isn't. I had made a deal with my wife when she was pregnant last year that we'd name our baby Yannick (I know he spells his Jannick) if it was a boy. We ended up having a girl so it never came to fruition but the OP's question is a no-brainer. Hansen, when on a hot streak, can crack the top six and, when he not potting goals, plays very well on the bottom six. Raymond, when on a hot streak, looks right at home on the top six, but when he's not hot (which is often) he doesn't fit into the bottom six. That's what makes Hansen a better player.

You need to look at the time on ice and not just the amount of games played. With that in mind, I'd venture to guess Hansen actually has the higher point totals per game - despite the fact he plays with 3rd line players and Raymond had the opportunity to play with Kesler, etc.

All that aside - Hansen is a physical presence on the ice (somewhat), whereas Raymond scares nobody with his hits and can't stay on his skates.

So.... for their place on OUR team, Hansen in a heartbeat. On another team that has less talent it is a closer race but as a GM I'd still pick Hansen.

...and let's not forget their difference in salaries as well.

Raymond has only significantly outpaced Hansen's offensive output for a half season, and that was two-and-a-half years ago (when Daniel was injured). And in the defensive aspects of the game, Hansen has been a beast.

It's most certainly Hansen - no question about it.

Archived