The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Need to resign Edler NOW!

pghockeyguy

I think that the ceiling that MG has created doesn't come in to play with edler. Edler is more valuable than any defenseman on this team (save maybe hamhuis) and he deserves to be paid as such. Open market he could command upwards of $6 million but if he signed 6 years 5.3-5.8 here I'd be ecstatic. He's only 26, he hasn't even entered his prime and he's arguably the best defenseman on the team. The 4.6 ceiling shouldn't be used here

No worries. To homers, reality check: Edler is not as good as Weber or Suter.

Now that I got your attention: Edler is not as good as Weber or Suter.

He won't cost that much. He's also going to stay because like the Sedins, he's Swedish and Swedish players are loyal to Vancouver because Vancouver loves bringing in Swedish players. They're soft like satin and cute like cup cakes.

Edler will sign and give us less than half what Weber gives in a nightly basis for 3/4 the price. Bargain? Think again.

This team is going down the drains.

Ridiculous.

Anyone that thinks that Edler will sign for 4.6 mill is dilusional. If he hit the open market he would be offered 6 million per with some crazy 20 million in the first 2 year deal. I think the best case scenerio with a team discount would be 7 years at 5.5 - 5.8 mill per.

Remember Bieksa took a discount to stay and he is being paid 4.6 per. Edler is a far superior D man to Bieksa.

There is really no reason to trade Edler unless we get an Edler type player back. Since teams don't trade players like this, its pretty much a non topic.

A 7 year contract takes him to age 33. Right now we do not have one prospect that can develop into the likes of an Edler. My proposed contract would be.

7 years with a cap hit of 5.5 broke down like this 8 mil, 8 mil, 6 mil, 6 mil, 4 mil, 3.5 mil, 3 mil

I think that the ceiling that MG has created doesn't come in to play with edler. Edler is more valuable than any defenseman on this team (save maybe hamhuis) and he deserves to be paid as such. Open market he could command upwards of $6 million but if he signed 6 years 5.3-5.8 here I'd be ecstatic. He's only 26, he hasn't even entered his prime and he's arguably the best defenseman on the team. The 4.6 ceiling shouldn't be used here

Edler is clearly our best all around defencmen, and one of the best in the league. I'm sure he loves the canucks, but as previously pointed out, ehrhoff came right outa left field with a gigantic contract for a team no one expected him to land on..

Locking him up for as long as possible should be, and most likely IS MGs top priority.

But the urgency begins to grow once he starts looking at other offers. I seriously hope we sign him soon. $4.6 over 6 years would be ideal, cause I think he's going to become a force to be reckoned with over the next few years... well.. more of one than he already is. I just hope he has more room in his heart than ehrhoff for this team.

I'd not worry about the CBA talks shortening contract years, most likely they are going to try to get rid of the fake cap hit contracts, which is the ONLY reason these contracts are so long... Once you have to pay the cap hit your paying the player they will sign 50-80 million contracts for 4-7 years. Still silly contracts but wont allow teams to load talent up and just foot the bill "under the table" which is the way to go to keep on improving parity.

As for Edler, with teams like philly out there you would be an absoloute idiot not to lock up your core players before they are vunerable to offer sheets... It is a no brainer, non issue... But it is up to the player involved to WANT to sign. If they have interest in being on the market they will be. Which is the real speculation here, is Edlers agent in talks? if not... might as well say goodbye to Edler now cuz he will def command big dollars on the open market.

I'd vote to lock him up long term. He is an excellent player with a decent combination of skill and grit. Hard to find even if he might not end up being a Weber/Lidstrom type on player. Still will be exspensive, but most good players are. Sign him Gillis!

No worries. To homers, reality check: Edler is not as good as Weber or Suter.

Now that I got your attention: Edler is not as good as Weber or Suter.

He won't cost that much. He's also going to stay because like the Sedins, he's Swedish and Swedish players are loyal to Vancouver because Vancouver loves bringing in Swedish players. They're soft like satin and cute like cup cakes.

Edler will sign and give us less than half what Weber gives in a nightly basis for 3/4 the price. Bargain? Think again.

This team is going down the drains.

Ridiculous.

Edler is so overrated by some fans its laughable.

Here's just a few things that bothers me about Edler and why i would rather we trade him.

1. He's too soft and lacks the toughness needed in top 4 especially in front of the net where he's as wimpy as it gets.

2. He is caught out of position far too often leading to goals against.

3. Lacks mobility often even falling over his own feet takes dumb penalties at bad times.

4. Doesn't hold puck inside offensive blueline well and gets caught on odd man rushes because of poor decision making.

5. Wastes key entries on the pp by making poor plays and results in pucks getting cleared.

6. Misses the net too much and again wasting offensive chances for others.

7. Can't defend teammates at all and turns away from all conflict leaving teammates getting abused in scrums.

8. Hasn't got enough heart tends to look too content and accepting after bad mistakes made and takes losing far too lightly.

9. Lacks ability to take away time and space even with the long reach very important in defending.

10. Doesn't rise his play important games often get's worse and a liability to the team lessening the chances of winning these games.

For me it couldn't be more clear weighing the good against the bad of Edlers overall play that he needs t be traded to help this team move forward.

I hope he get's packaged with Luongo, Raymond and picks for a top 6 power forward.

Archived