The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Need to resign Edler NOW!

pghockeyguy

Ok, I gotta put my input for some of these here.

My thoughts in bold.

Edler is so overrated by some fans its laughable.

Here's just a few things that bothers me about Edler and why i would rather we trade him.

1. He's too soft and lacks the toughness needed in top 4 especially in front of the net where he's as wimpy as it gets.

Edler is not soft. He doesn't fight or get in useless scrums, but that doesn't mean that he's soft. He hits like a bull.

2. He is caught out of position far too often leading to goals against.

Many fans seem to have a condition where they can only remember the recent past. Edler made some horrid defensive plays in the playoffs, but he's usually much better positionally.

3. Lacks mobility often even falling over his own feet takes dumb penalties at bad times.

Columbus. Breakaway. Goal. 'Nuff said.

4. Doesn't hold puck inside offensive blueline well and gets caught on odd man rushes because of poor decision making.

I haven't noticed this glaringly or specifically to Edler, but I have noticed that our 'D' as a whole seems to have trouble holding the puck in.

5. Wastes key entries on the pp by making poor plays and results in pucks getting cleared.

This is very vague. What "poor plays"?

6. Misses the net too much and again wasting offensive chances for others.

He misses the net a bit more than he should yes, but he's young and will have time to get as accurate as Salo.

7. Can't defend teammates at all and turns away from all conflict leaving teammates getting abused in scrums.

Same can be said for half the team, so why single out Edler?

8. Hasn't got enough heart tends to look too content and accepting after bad mistakes made and takes losing far too lightly.

You're judging just by appearance here. Just because Edler looks fine and dandy, that doesn't mean that he doesn't feel like crap after making a bad mistake.

9. Lacks ability to take away time and space even with the long reach very important in defending.

I've seen Edler make many great defensive plays by rushing back on defense and poking the puck away.

10. Doesn't rise his play important games often get's worse and a liability to the team lessening the chances of winning these games.

Again, you're basing this solely on the 2012 playoffs. He was a beast in the Chicago 2011 series. He was hitting like a madman.

It would be dumb to re-sign him now... it is evident that contracts will go down after the new CBA. Maybe not in dollars, but at least in term and the structure.

We have all season (however long that is) to sign him under the new rules.

I think he likes playing here. The whole Thomas Gradin #23, saving him from tier 3 Swedish hockey makes me think he has some loyalty to this franchise. Length of the contract doesn't matter, since he's still young. 5 -5.5 mil cap hit and that still works within our internal cap.

What irks me is that we have 2 left handed D men in Edler and Garrison now. We really need another right handed top 4 D. If Garrison shows he can step fill Edler's shoes, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets moved.

I'm not a huge Gillis fan but I sure am glad he's a lot smarter then anyone that would trade an allstar defencemen straight up for someone that has never even played a game in the NHL (Lindholm). Wow you people continue to boggle my mind with brutal trade proposals. Sure Lindholm COULD turn out better then Edler but we are in win now mode not a time to take chances on unknowns. And like almost every other trade proposal the other team NEVER does this. Why the hell would Anahiem ever give up their #1 prospect for a rental when they didn't even make the playoffs last year.

I definitely wouldn't give Edler another penny then Bieksa, Hamhuis or Garrison.

If you take away Edlers Sedin aided stats and the rare good pass or rare heavy hit he doesn't do anything else well while the others bring several key attributes that Edler doesn't.

Those players are big time Canadian players who play all out with tons of heart Edler will never be that guy not even close.

I cant believe how many so called smart fans underestimate heart and being North American doing everything to help their team. Look at our playoff losses how could people be so stupid not to see it.

I hope they trade him myself and give Connauton a chance he is due. This kid will be easily twice the all around defensemen Edler is given the same amount of time Edlers had to work on his game.

I definitely wouldn't give Edler another penny then Bieksa, Hamhuis or Garrison.

If you take away Edlers Sedin aided stats and the rare good pass or rare heavy hit he doesn't do anything else well while the others bring several key attributes that Edler doesn't.

Those players are big time Canadian players who play all out with tons of heart Edler will never be that guy not even close.

I cant believe how many so called smart fans underestimate heart and being North American doing everything to help their team. Look at our playoff losses how could people be so stupid not to see it.

I hope they trade him myself and give Connauton a chance he is due. This kid will be easily twice the all around defensemen Edler is given the same amount of time Edlers had to work on his game.

By the way, how many of Erik Karlsson's points do you think were aided by Jason Spezza? How many of Kris Letang's points do you think were aided by Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin? I could go on and on. The point of a #1 defenseman is that he plays on the top PP unit with the team's best players. Shocking.

Any chance of re-signing Edler in a long term deal on a good price just went out the Window with what Suter, Weber and Carle got this year lol.

His agent must be licking his chops waiting for him to be a UFA or open negotiations with MG. It would be a miracle if we can sign him under 5.5m

I said it before and i'll say it again, MG's patient approach will bite him in the ass one day, he better lock up our assets soon.

Archived